Post your best example of Delta/Country blues.

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by Chick-N-Picker, Jan 22, 2020.

1. barfly69

barfly69 TDPRI Member

EllroyJames and Vibrolux59 like this.
  2. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

Agreed! I came to this via Catfish Keith's stunning version.

Don't want Mississippi John Hurt to be overlooked. The first time I heard him was almost exactly 51 years ago on the day after I got my first guitar. I've been trying for his simplicity and subtlety ever since.

3. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

This thread wouldn't be complete without some Lightnin' Hopkins!!

4. Chick-N-Picker

Chick-N-Picker Friend of Leo's

I have heard a good amount of these but I've got plenty of songs to listen to.

Saving some thoughts for later.....if I remember them. :D

5. ndcaster

ndcaster Poster Extraordinaire

JeffBlue, EllroyJames and Flaneur like this.
  6. elihu

elihu Poster Extraordinaire

Says it all...

7. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

This is my favorite

I saw her perform it live, and I couldn't believe all that sound was coming from one guitar!

JeffBlue and Vibrolux59 like this.
  8. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Actually the "Delta" in Delta Blues is a direct reference to Mississippi. Mississippi Delta Blues.

9. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

JeffBlue likes this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

And one of a handful of songs to physically leave our solar system.

11. Chick-N-Picker

That's why I said Delta/Country because although we just generally call it all delta blues. Country blues is probably a better desceiption because there was plenty of this style of blues that was played from North Carolina all the way to Texas back in the day. It was really across the entire south. Now it's nation wide and even world wide.

But I do understand why we refer generally refer to all of it as delta blues. I always say delta or country because saying Blue Ridge Blues or Lower Georgia Blues would just be confusing and sounds strange. But I do kind of like Blue Ridge Blues for a blues song now haha. :lol:

And for an example, here is Blind Willie McTell doing a little number I believe you gonna enjoy thoroughly......sorry got lost for a second....called Statesboro Blues. He was from Georgia but this would still fall under the category of delta blues, in my opinion, even though it's Georgia. One could also choose to call it country blues and that works as well.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    JeffBlue likes this.
  12. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Yeah, Delta blues is a specific region and style. Country Blues encompasses Delta, Piedmont, Texas, Hill Country. etc...I probably would have gone straight to lightnin' Hopkins had I not thought you asked specifically for a Delta Blues example. I'm going to go listen to some West/ Coast/Blues now. ;)

Chick-N-Picker likes this.
  13. Chick-N-Picker

I was editing my replying when you replied. I added some more stuff but I think we are generally on the same page. If somebody calls something in Georgia delta blues instead of country blues then it wouldn't bother me or be "wrong" so to speak. But country blues is probably a better description and actual regional delta blues could also be called country blues.

If you find any good songs from out west that fit come back and post them.

14. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

No, we are definitely not on the same page. Delta blues is specific. Blind Willie is Piedmont along with Reverend Gary Davis, Sonny Terry, Brownie McGhee, Blind Boy Fuller, and those guys. I'm old enough I've actually seen some of these guys live. Country Blues encompasses it all we agree on that. Best of luck with your blues education.

15. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

16. Chick-N-Picker

Never said Delta blues was not specific. Apparently you don't understand what I'm saying. Either way, just lighten up. No need to get cold over it. If somebody gets bent out of shape because somebody refers to Blind Willie Mctell as delta blues (by fault or mistake), even though he was from Georgia, then they have a defect in their head. That's why I put Delta/Country blues in the first place.

17. Vibrolux59

Vibrolux59 Tele-Meister

Who's bent out of shape? not me. The word Delta (not needed and misleading if your discussion is about country blues in general) specifies a style and region. I pointed that out, you seem offended. Peace.

18. DaphneBlue

DaphneBlue Tele-Meister

19. Chick-N-Picker

Definitely not offended. I'm talking in the time period of the 20's and 30's. If somebody walked up to you and played a Blind Willie Mctell song there is no way you would no way he was from Georgia and very well may even say that's some good delta blues right there. Person starts laughing. "That's not delta blues you crazy idiot. That's Blind Willie McTell."

And now if somebody walked up and played a song by a current artist that sounded like, what we call delta blues, are you going to disqualify it because they are from Oregon? No, of course not.

That being said, of course Delta blues is technically specific to the delta which it actually is part of an alluvial plain, created by regular flooding of the Mississippi and Yazoo rivers over thousands of years. It's technically not even part of the Mississippi Delta but that's what we call it amd whole other discussion.

But if your telling me that if two men sit down in 1933. One in Rosedale, MS and one in Dalton, GA and they played identically styled songs. Then it would be ubsurb if both were caught under the same named umbrella? Though technically both are country blues. I would not fault somebody if they referred to Dalton, GA song as a delta blues song. Just like I wouldn't fault somebody if they called the Rosedale, MS song piedmont blues. Though the latter would be much more uncommon as the name delta blues is what has caught on over the years. If they sound the same then they are the same style. I DON'T care what region name is in front of blues.

Or maybe you can describe to me how the two are different styles then? Other than the region what makes a blues song recorded in 1933, in the delta, different than the songs recorded in Alabama or Georgia. I'm saying stylistically how could you separate them if you knew nothing and just heard song A and song B?

20. trxx

trxx Tele-Holic

Don't know about best, but I like these.

JeffBlue likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.