Post Mortem on First Gig Since........

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by nojazzhere, Jun 6, 2021.

1. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Well, last night I played my first gig in over a year. We've been waiting until we'd all gotten our "protection", and the attendees were also limited for "safety". We only had one short rehearsal on Thursday, so things were pretty rough. We played a short set based mainly on songs we had been doing a year and a half ago, and the "rust" was definitely there. The band is a trio....with me on guitar/vocals, my long-time drummer who also sang one song, and a bassist/vocalist. I've written before about my frustration with the bassist , and I don't believe he had picked up a bass in 14 months. I'm not sure he even LISTENED to the song list to refresh his memory. Some players are good enough to listen to a song a few times, and play it adequately after that.....but he's not one of those players.....and he doesn't really care. He is a super-nice guy, but his "priorities" are more into "pretending" to be a rock star and "playing" to the audience and his girl friend, with the level of the music a distant second run.
    Now.....in perspective, no one died, the audience seemed to enjoy themselves, and maybe I shouldn't be so harsh.....but I know things won't get much better. His opinion of what a bass part should be is diametrically different from mine....his volume, his tone, and his choice of notes, are all just WRONG! In the past, I've (politely) tried to show him different ideas, and in practice he will "try"....but at a gig he reverts to his old ways.
    I'm not really asking for answers, I'm more or less just venting. It DID feel good playing before a live audience again, and I did get several compliments on my playing, singing, and even my #1 "Tele"-partscaster that I assembled in 2019......so I guess I should be grateful for "something" good. It's just a frustrating situation. It's like riding a tricycle with only two wheels. Thanks for listening.

Flip G, richiek65, TJStone and 10 others like this.
  2. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

They’ll just keep getting better!

PhredE, nojazzhere and dented like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

yeah, rehearsed 3 times now together. It ain't pretty. Especially with a bassist that can't remember when we had been playing weekly.........

nojazzhere and Greggorios like this.
  4. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

good vent! three kinda bass players, russian, draggin or down in the groove. The dudes who don't know the songs aren't really bass players, they audience members leanin on a bass.

5. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

So cool!

Glad you got the chance to perform...I miss that more and more every week.

The online Zoom jams ain’t scratching that itch.

MisterZ, nojazzhere and Greggorios like this.
  6. dented

dented Doctor of Teleocity

How fun that you got out and played. That's good for something. Lots of people are going through this I'm sure. Congrats on getting out there. As for the the bass player.......

rand z, TJStone, MisterZ and 2 others like this.
  7. TC6969

TC6969 Friend of Leo's

I worked with a bass player like that.

He had all these cool rock-star poses and the crowd loved him!

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Great to hear you're back at it and that you had an appreciative crowd. Sorry about the "square peg, round hole" thing with your bass player. Hope it either improves or changes.

nojazzhere likes this.
  9. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

Sometimes you just have to vent. Some people just don't fit, some don't even try, and sometimes you just have to move on~
    Nice that you got to play and got some compliments:)

PhredE and nojazzhere like this.
  10. nojazzhere

Now that you mention it, there was a lot of "rushing"....maybe to see who could finish first? ;)
    And to @brookdalebill .....I appreciate your optimism. Since you're obviously a "good" bassist, and working a lot, you may not be really aware of how many "miserable" guys that own a bass guitar are out there...... and think they're qualified. :( Thanks for the comments, EVERYONE. :):):)

PhredE and Greggorios like this.
  11. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Tele-Afflicted

I'm very much a late comer in terms of playing in a band (well apart from a 35+ year gap from when I was at school :oops:) but it's the personality/commitment side that seems to cause issues as much as actual ability. The committed ones at least will improve over time unless they really are useless, but if they can't be bothered then...:rolleyes:

We're only just getting back into rehearsing again last Friday after 6 months. I only joined this new band late last year, so this was only my third time including my audition. We've had some 'wobbles' with the singer who joined after me, but more a matter of commitment/availability as the ability is there, so I sympathise that it's difficult if one of the 'wheels' feels like it's falling off.

Maybe playing the first gig will kick start the desire to improve as I know I struggled keeping interested in practising during the long winter months. After our Friday rehearsal everyone was really energised and the singer's 'wobbles' seem to have passed too. Good luck, hope you manage to sort things out.

nojazzhere likes this.
  12. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

So if Texas has run out of good bass players, what's next?
    Laptop pop?

nojazzhere likes this.
  13. lil scotty

lil scotty Tele-Holic

Try to sell him on this: “I need the bass to be in the pocket. Being the lead singer, lead guitarist, front person, I have a lot to hold together; a lot to simply remember. The rhythm section has to be solid and tight, so I can do my job. Help me out here, please.”

Slip Kid, TJStone and nojazzhere like this.
  14. stephent2

stephent2 Poster Extraordinaire

Hound Dog Taylor didn't need no stinkin' bass player,..

rand z and nojazzhere like this.
  15. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

My bass player always plays the same notes each time we play a song, never talks back, never plays too loud, never hits on my wife, always shows up on time and works fairly cheap. Of course, he lives in my laptop, soo......:rolleyes::p:D:D

nojazzhere likes this.
  16. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

yup!

17. nojazzhere

I've tried pretty much that, but I think what he actually HEARS is something like the adults in a Peanuts/Charlie Brown cartoon....."Wah, Wah, Wah!!!!"
    Believe me, I've considered buying a set of bass pedals.....but I'm just not coordinated enough. ;)

Slip Kid likes this.
  18. TJStone

TJStone TDPRI Member

I had to chuckle reading this, as I thought you were describing my bass player. He is reluctant to practice between gigs and rehearsals, always complains of sore wrist etc., struggles to learn new material even after I have tabbed it and showed him how to play it. But he is a nice guy, I guess that's why we put up with it. ;)

19. Riviera Daddy-O

Riviera Daddy-O TDPRI Member

Hey man look! I’m doing the best I can on bass for you...You’re right, I am playing to my girlfriend because she’s super hot. Thanks for organizing the gig and getting everything set up, see you next time

nojazzhere and TJStone like this.
  20. TJStone

TJStone TDPRI Member

Hey man look! I’m doing the best I can on bass for you...You’re right, I am playing to my girlfriend because she’s super hot. Thanks for organizing the gig and getting everything set up, see you next time

^^^^^^^

:lol::lol::lol:

nojazzhere likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.