Post-lockdown changes with playing in bands/ensembles

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by srblue5, Aug 5, 2021.

1. srblue5

srblue5 Tele-Holic

I've restarted practicing with my main band for a couple of months now -- we did our first post-lockdown gig (albeit via livestream) last month -- but I had my first practice with my secondary band last night in anticipation of a few low-key live gigs coming up.

Has anybody else noticed that their approach to playing has changed since before the pandemic/lockdown?

I've always considered myself a rhythm guitarist first and foremost (a la Keef, Earl Slick, or even Cornell Dupree in my more coordinated moments), but since I've returned to playing in a group setting post-lockdown, I find myself playing more quietly than before and slipping into the grooves rather than trying to stand out with respect to volume or even with solos. Again, I've never been much of a lead player but in the year before the lockdown, I found myself playing louder onstage and mixing in leads with rhythm -- partly as a response to one of my secondary band's singers who was starting to dictate parts to me during rehearsals and turning down the controls on my amp onstage (often without my consent). Yesterday, the same singer actually started turning up my amp while we were playing, so I turned it down on my Tele to compensate.

I'm not sure why this is -- Musical and emotional maturity? Being so glad to be back to playing in an ensemble? Loss of confidence?

Anybody else finding the same or similar things about returning to playing in a band setting?

2. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

What we did the entire time was got together at practice each week, which was normal for us anyway, and would go through the entire set as though we were performing on stage. We did this religously and rarely if ever missed a session. We've since opened back up about 5 months ago and haven't had any noticeable changes in our playing, sound, etc. In our case, it's like it never happened... and I rather like that ;) However, I can understand what you're sayin' though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.