post-honeymoon review: celestion g10 gold

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by vanguard, Jan 26, 2010.

1. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

the original review is posted here, along with other gear reviews:http://lakecitymusic.blogspot.com/2010/01/post-honeymoon-review-of-new-celestion.html

so there is a surprising void of info on the new g10 gold. i thought i'd drop my thoughts for any interested folks waiting to get feedback before taking the plunge on a pretty pricey speaker.

i got this speaker a little over a month ago to drop in my 6g2 princeton. i had a RI jensen p10r in there before which sounded FANTASTIC, but it was just shy of the volume i needed to get over the band with some headroom to spare. that's the only reason the jensen got the boot. if i ever quit playing out, it will go back in.

ahem... so my 6g2 has had the following speakers in it: kendrick blackframe (fart out city), eminence red fang (way too much power and volume, no finesse. it sounds nothing like the blue), celestion blue (awesome, but a bit loud and dark), the aforementioned jensen reissue, and now the g10 gold.

since the jensen was just underpowered at 96 db, i figured the gold would be just right at 98 db. the red fang was just stupidly loud at 102 db.

celestion took forever getting the g10 gold out; they knew it had to be perfect after their reputation taking some shots with the whole made in china/made in uk fiasco. they ended up using a slightly smaller alnico mag to get the mellow eq of the blue in a 10" speaker. that's where eminence blew it IMO, they used way too big of a mag on the 10" red fang.

the g10 also sounded nice, as it had an early reputation of being slightly more brilliant than the blue. the 6g2 is a pretty dark, middy amp, and matching the eq of a speaker to accommodate the eq of an amp is paramount in speaker choice IMO. so i took the plunge.

out of the box, the g10 sounded quite nice, but had the typical harsh/stiff/spiky mid-range of a brand new speaker. also, new speakers seem to be loud or quiet, they lack in dynamics. luckily, i'd had enough new speakers to know about break-in time. trust me fellas, it's a must. after about 2 1/2 weeks of daily playing at gig volume, and about 10-15 hours of loud, dynamic music looped through the speaker, it started to loosen up. the mids backed off a lot, and dynamics started to work.

the speaker still has a ways to go for full break in, but at this point it sounds very transparent. it is the first speaker that seems to allow my amps natural voice/eq to come through without emphasizing anything on its own. the speaker is sounding increasingly springy and, to my sheer delight, those unearthly high mids the blue is famous for are starting to jangle and ring in their melancholy, old-time radio way. the bass is robust, mellow and warm; basically everything the bass of a ceramic speaker isn't. the mids are present, but seem to be flat in regards to the amps natural curve. also to my delight, the g10 has those warm trebles that i honestly thought i'd never hear in another speaker besides the blue. they aren't quite as complex, but they are still there, ringing in a nice REM, byrds, early beatles fashion.

the cleans are very complex and swirly. if you like the cleans of the blue, you'll be happy. overdriven, the speaker's eq remains identical to its clean voice. this is very refreshing. on the jensen, as the gain went up, the tone knob had to go way down.

celestion wanted to create a speaker with the voice of the blue, but the immediacy of a 10" driver. i'd say that's exactly what they did. it seems the only difference in tone between this and the blue is that the blue's voice seems to move all around you (basically the advantage of any 12" speaker), where the g10 feels a bit more focused.

so, if you like that nostalgic, lo-fi jangle of alnico speakers, the g10 gold seems pretty solid. i'm very happy. not too loud, not to strident in the mids, basically a blue in 10" format.

Treynor and tonemonster58 like this.
  2. Singin' Dave

Singin' Dave Friend of Leo's

Very nice review! I have Gold 12's in my SFDR and a SFPR respectively and love them.

3. meyekel

meyekel Tele-Holic

Thanks for the review Vanguard! Glad you finally found the speaker to complete that great amp. It sounds that good cranked to 8-10?

4. vanguard

vanguard Friend of Leo's

between the g10 gold and the reissue p10r, i think i'm set. the g10 is perfect for the gigs, the p10r is perfect for around the house.

i run the amp at 7-8 now for gigs with a tube screamer pushing it even harder into sustain. sounds really fluid on single notes, but i still get my trademark "clang" with the guitar volume backed off a bit on chords. the g10 handles distortion and high levels crazy good. it just creams out a bit and maintains a strong bass and flat EQ.

5. doctorrobert

doctorrobert TDPRI Member

nice review! just ordered me a g10 for my Vox AC10...

6. doctorrobert

doctorrobert TDPRI Member

It showed up with a dented frame (to the point where it distorted the shape of the cone) so I sent it back. :(

7. Lostinsound

Lostinsound TDPRI Member

Are you happy with the gold in the Vox?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.