Post-finish hardware install question

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by manbearpig, Aug 23, 2009.

1. manbearpig

manbearpig Tele-Meister

Question for all the DIYers and builders. When you do the final hardware install, do you pre-drill holes for the pickguard and strap buttons? I assume so, but want to make sure before I do it. And if so, what size bit works best? How do you insure you don't ruin the finish (I've heard of putting down some tape and drilling through the tape into the body)?
    I know it's elementary, but I had to ask. My project has turned out well so far and I don't want to screw it up this late in the game.

2. manbearpig

manbearpig Tele-Meister

My thread must have gotten lost in the mix yesterday because I know at least half the people on this forum could answer this elementary question for me. Anyone?

3. eric_o

eric_o TDPRI Member

Well, ideally you would do that before you finish, but you can still do it. Use masking tape like you said. I would use a #3/4 hinge bit for the pickguard/bridge holes if you don't have a drill press. I'm not sure what size drill bit you'll need for the strap buttons.

TDowns has a great tutorial for that on his website, it's where I learned about the bits. As for ensuring you don't damage the finish, I'm not sure the tape is foolproof, but it should help minimize the damage. You definitely need to exercise patience and let the finish cure all the way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.