Post-ClassicTone OT suggestion?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by jsnwhite619, Nov 9, 2020.

1. jsnwhite619

jsnwhite619 Friend of Leo's

So, as luck would have it, I came up with a nice hot rodded Tweed Princeton design this year with a 5881 tube and used the 15W ClassicTone OT for it. Tube Depot is out of stock already for them. Does anyone have a suggestion for a different approx. 15W SE OT to use in the future?

2. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

Hammond has a good line of single-ended iron. Maybe overkill for a guitar amp, but definitely enough: http://www.hammondmfg.com/125SE.htm (there's a link to their hi-fi offerings from that page)

What operating points do you have in mind? :)

King Fan and jsnwhite619 like this.
  3. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Weber sells a 15W, 5K transformer: https://tedweber.com/wse15/ I haven't used that one but I've been happy with their transformers in the past.

If you want USA made, Edcor would be my first choice. Their prices are great and they have just about any option you could want for OT specs as long as you can wait 6-8 weeks or more...

4. jsnwhite619

If I remember correctly, I was in the 350v B+ range with a 5u4 & 5881, and I used the 5k primary, 8R speaker. It was a bada$$ amp - I built a 5e3 sized cabinet and stuck a C-Rex in it. But a local guy played it and just made too good of an offer on it. "No worries, I'll just build myself another one later." That's my luck...the transformer company closes shop.

So is Weber foreign made?

5. jsnwhite619

I knew there was a popular Hammond, but couldn't remember which one. I use Hammond for everything I can, but the 15W OT from ClassicTone was the only one I knew of for that setup. A quick search found me enough reviews and discussion about it that I think I'm already settled on it for when the time comes. It is a little more expensive, but if I can get the PT & OT from the same source, I'll probably save the difference on shipping or at least break even.

It looks to be popular for the Epiphone Valve Jr amps. I like Hammond and it will handle what I need. So, not trying to cut things off, but out of the available choices, I think I've found the winner.

ThermionicScott likes this.
  6. jsnwhite619

For reference, here is the amp.

Clean

Cranked

jman72 and ThermionicScott like this.
  7. tubedood

tubedood Tele-Holic

On my SE hot rod Princeton Tweed I used the Allen TO11S, it's 8k for a 6V6 or 4k for bigger bottles. I like Weber so far for their power transformers, haven't tried their output transformers.

8. Nickfl

Nickfl Friend of Leo's

Yeah, I believe they have them made in China or elsewhere in the far east. I've used their output transformers in a couple of builds (may have used a PT once too but I'm not sure) and they seemed comparable quality to classic tone to me. I've used their 7k primary SE OT and it sounded great in an octal preamp tweed princeton circuit.

Edcor is a step up in build quality IMO, I don't know if that translates to sounding better, but they do look nice for what that's worth.

zook and jsnwhite619 like this.
  9. ThermionicScott

Nice references!

I've got an unused JJ KT88 in the stash. Every so often I think about turning it into a big single-ended amp, but I need another amp like a hole in the head... :lol:

10. Timmay

Timmay Tele-Meister

I'm in the process of building a 5f2a running a GZ34 and a KT88. Been slow going. Working 60hr weeks and it's bow season so......

Anyway, I have a 15 watts Classic Tone OT for it, but I'm thinking of going with this 25 watt weber instead. What say y'all? Thinking this might be one for you to consider as well Jason?
    https://tedweber.com/wse25/

Board is populated and Pt mounted. I'll start a thread on it once I get the hookup wires on and am ready to start soldering. Would like some of y'all who actually know what your doing to look it over before I get ahead of myself.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
  11. zook

zook Friend of Leo's

I have many holes in my head :)

ThermionicScott likes this.
  12. King Fan

King Fan Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

FWIW, Amp Parts Direct is getting Heyboer to dupe the more popular CT transformers. Is this '8031' model equivalent to your original CT?

F246AE9A-F6B9-462E-8B3F-F7C1755FAF1D.jpeg

13. jsnwhite619

Definitely looks to be it in the notes.

14. ThermionicScott

I'd go big! The theoretical max output of a signal-ended amp is half of the idle dissipation. So if you're running the KT88 at its 42 watt max into the perfect load impedance, you'd get about 21 watts before transformer and speaker losses. Even if your amp "only" ends up making ~15 watts, the bigger iron will help with low end.

Timmay likes this.
  15. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I just buy the best price in a good brand like Hammond etc. EXCEPT New Sensor. (are they still in business?)

16. dan40

dan40 Friend of Leo's

17. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Afflicted

I bought an extra classic tone OT for my 5e3 and never used it. I would sell it.

18. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Afflicted

Would one of these work?

Hammond 1750B... 10 Watts, Primary 5482 ohms, Secondary 8 ohms, 70 Hz to 10kHz, 17.88 mA max.

Attached Files:

19. James Knox

James Knox Tele-Afflicted

@jsnwhite619 What have you discovered so far? I just finished a couple Champs, one with the Hammond 1750B $33 and one with the Allen Amplification TO11S $49. I am comparing to the 5F2A 5881 Build that you inspired. Mine has the same ClassicTone trannys you used. TheY all sound really good. Haven’t picked a favorite yet. Need more playing time, lol.

BTW, sorry you let your 5F2A 5881 go... it is currently my Favorite, my Keeper!

20. jsnwhite619

I haven't done much looking really beyond the Hammond 125ESE. That 15W OT was the only thing I still used from Classictone, so their shutting down doesn't affect me other than that. Next one I build will probably use the 125ESE and see how I like it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.