Post a song by a Nineties artist whom you feel has been deeply forgotten.

Lynxtrap

Tele-Afflicted
Joined
Feb 29, 2016
Posts
1,254
Location
EU
The Rembrandts also wrote the Friends theme song I'll Be There For You, but my guess is that few know the name of the band. And then they had this semi-hit.

 

brookdalebill

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Joined
Nov 15, 2009
Posts
108,126
Age
64
Location
Austin, Tx
The Rembrandts also wrote the Friends theme song I'll Be There For You, but my guess is that few know the name of the band. And then they had this semi-hit.



Brilliant band/duo!
I saw em’ at the Back Room here when this was a new tune.
They killed!
Mr. Mister/King Crimson/XTC (and Austinite!) Pat Mastelotto on drums.
Great, smart guitar solo, too.
 

Old Deaf Roadie

Friend of Leo's
Gold Supporter
Joined
Oct 11, 2017
Posts
4,169
Location
Goonieville, OR
Forgotten songs? I have never heard of 90% of the artists listed in this thread and intentionally avoided hearing the other 10%. Sometimes songs and artists get forgotten because they simply fail to address & hold onto any sort of relevance. Or...maybe I'm just getting old.
 

SnidelyWhiplash

Friend of Leo's
Joined
Jun 18, 2009
Posts
3,955
Location
Hoggtown, KY.
Forgotten songs? I have never heard of 90% of the artists listed in this thread and intentionally avoided hearing the other 10%. Sometimes songs and artists get forgotten because they simply fail to address & hold onto any sort of relevance. Or...maybe I'm just getting old.

Maybe you are... ;)

I've always searched out artists off the beaten path. Lot of good things to be found there. :cool:
 

Lynxtrap

Tele-Afflicted
Joined
Feb 29, 2016
Posts
1,254
Location
EU
I bought this record when it came out. I seemed to buy a lot of albums by since then forgotten bands in the 90's...
Didn't feel the need to buy any more albums by Collective Soul, don't know what happened to them. Listening to it now it sounds kind of like a "light" version of Pearl Jam.

 

Lucius Paisley

Tele-Afflicted
Joined
Mar 19, 2020
Posts
1,416
Age
46
Location
Sydney, Australia
I'm counting this even though it's right on the cusp and the band started in the mid 80's, but received the majority of their hype in the early 90's...

 

nickmsmith

Tele-Holic
Joined
Jun 5, 2016
Posts
627
Location
USA
I bought this record when it came out. I seemed to buy a lot of albums by since then forgotten bands in the 90's...
Didn't feel the need to buy any more albums by Collective Soul, don't know what happened to them. Listening to it now it sounds kind of like a "light" version of Pearl Jam.


They’re still touring and doing their thing! They had quite a few hits after that. Almost all of them sounded dramatically different. The World I Know, December, Gel, among others.
 

Lynxtrap

Tele-Afflicted
Joined
Feb 29, 2016
Posts
1,254
Location
EU
They’re still touring and doing their thing! They had quite a few hits after that. Almost all of them sounded dramatically different. The World I Know, December, Gel, among others.

Great! Actually, when checking it up, the album I have is Disciplined Breakdown from '97. The song I posted is from their debut album, their biggest hit I guess.

I seem to remember them being tagged as "southern". Maybe just because they're from Georgia.
 

thejackofhearts

Tele-Meister
Joined
Nov 30, 2020
Posts
177
Location
Black Diamond Bay
Alright, a lot of the videos posted so far, definitely made the college (and pop) radio
circuit in America...

However, two lesser known bands from the LA scene stand out from when I worked at my local university music station back in the day....

The first was a band called "The Big F". Their second, self titled release absolutely blew our minds. We often played the album, however the band never really tracked outside some regional markets. But if you want to talk 90s...this trio had it.

The Big F


The other band was called "Plexi". They were fixtures on the "Alt Sunset Strip" scene during the mid to late 90s. Their album was great, however live they were monsters. In the video they may seem prisoners of the era, but believe me, live they carried a very authentic air of danger, credibility, and musicianship. Its still a wonder they never tracked.

Plexi


Looking back at those days, the thing that big record labels would do was to snatch up as many bands (most with really ****ty deals) that had the "formula". Hoping they could catch the next Nirvana "ATM". However, the "deals" most developing bands agreed to were often so bad that many had no other choice than to split up to get out (as much as they could) from their deals. So many of them unfortunately got caught in the wake of the "Teen Spirit Explosion". This was the terrible side effect of big labels "hording" bands.



Oh...Honorable shout out goes to the Afghan Wigs. WHY they weren't bigger still baffles me.
 

StrangerNY

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
Joined
Sep 6, 2010
Posts
5,555
Location
Somewhere out on that horizon
Exactly what I came here to post, I've delighted you got it on the first page!

While reading up on the history of the band (which I usually do when I view a video or see a news story), I discovered that the remaining members (and their former touring drummer) got together and re-recorded the song last year. And they did a real good job with it.



- D
 




Top