Post a pic of the first guitar you ever made

JohnAC

TDPRI Member
The body is alder from Byo Guitar, neck is by Warmoth w 1 3/4" nut, STk1 SD neck pickup, little 59 SD bridge, 4 way switch & pots by 920D Custom, Fender hardware with locking tuners. And finally the color is Bahama blue by Duplicolor with 2k clear cloat. After the setup, it sounds and feels great. Very happy the way it turned out. P.S. it weighs 6.4 lbs, very comfy.

Attachments

• 20210412_080505.jpg
    20210412_080505.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 24

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Silver Supporter
Here are my 1st and second.
First one is this strat, I didn't build anything on it, bought the unfinished body from Saylor guitars. So basically finished and assembled it. The tele (well it's currently sort of an esquire) I built the body from Oregon ash (one piece) and bought the rest.

image (26).jpg
image (29).jpg

Westside

TDPRI Member
IMG_1024.jpg

I worked on both of these at the same time. Both built from scratch. I started the acoustic first but I'm unfocused so they were finished at the same time. The amp is homemade, a Fender Bassman built as a head, also from scratch (using the iron from a Wurlitzer organ, original power tubes still rockin'). All are in regular use, last played in public on July 4.

ReyDigital

TDPRI Member
A lot of interesting guitars in this thread. Cheers to you all. 🥃

This is my cheapy Rondo guitar that I modded to death and appropriately named it the Hellcaster.

Refinished with an AllParts bridge, Seymour Duncan Invader, single volume knob, Gotoh tuners, new bone nut that's cut to Fender spec, (believe that's what the luthier stated) stained and finally rattle can clear coated. I know the sticker is very amateur but it was applied for a photo shoot.

This guitar sounds tight and percussive. I love the wide neck too. And I know its def not up to the taste of most members here, but I enjoy heavy lriffs coming from a Tele.
098905BF-7473-4073-9719-F63D9CEF1DDF.jpeg

Attachments

• 1AF84206-44A2-4A79-B419-F2CE7D44283F.jpeg
    1AF84206-44A2-4A79-B419-F2CE7D44283F.jpeg
    255.4 KB · Views: 27

epizootics

Tele-Meister
This was the first one I'd built completely from scratch, back in 2019 :

48454409692_bcf4959453_c.jpg

48454405802_604afe9b90_c.jpg

Funny thing is that I only owned this guitar for a couple of weeks. I was really pleased with the results - and in dire need of cash. A session musician friend came round for coffee and saw it, played it for a bit and asked me if he could buy it. I hadn't planned on selling it but it sounded better than getting the electricity cut off, so off went the guitar.

He came back a few months later and asked me if I could saw off the end of the headstock. I told him it wouldn't look good. He insisted. I got my Japanese saw. He didn't like the result - I cursed myself for not finding a way to talk him out of it !

At least, I get to see that guitar once or twice a year, either at his gigs or on TV:

enorbet2

Tele-Meister
Although it actually sounded great, my first guitar was something of a joke because I knew almost nothing about guitar construction. I owned an Esquire and a friend owned a Les Paul so I traced the outlines of both, superimposed on one another and averaged the differences. I bought a slab of walnut and another of spruce and built a laminated body to that shape. I used a chunk of swamp ash from a skid for the neck and knowing nothing about how truss rods worked, I bought a 2 foot length steel rod stock, drilled a 1/4 inch hole in it and inserted a 3/8" spade bit and drilled through the skid chunk and then cut the steel rod to size, threaded it and used it for a truss rod <facepalm>

At that time I also knew very little about finishing so I bought a sheet of laminated plastic, gloss black on one side, and bright yellow on the other. I screwed up the tracing reversing it (hey, it was the 60s) so instead of a shiny gloss black I had a full body covering bright yellow with a black pickguard, roughly Les Paul shaped. (It looked like a psychedelic bumblebee) The neck pickup was a full-sized gibson humbucker and the bridge was Tele. I did play it for several years but only the neck remains, and surprisingly is still straight. No pics :(

But this is my second guitar I built from scratch, 12 years later

MyGuitarBtm9a0a.jpg

netgear69

Friend of Leo's
This was the first one I'd built completely from scratch, back in 2019 :

48454409692_bcf4959453_c.jpg

48454405802_604afe9b90_c.jpg

Funny thing is that I only owned this guitar for a couple of weeks. I was really pleased with the results - and in dire need of cash. A session musician friend came round for coffee and saw it, played it for a bit and asked me if he could buy it. I hadn't planned on selling it but it sounded better than getting the electricity cut off, so off went the guitar.

He came back a few months later and asked me if I could saw off the end of the headstock. I told him it wouldn't look good. He insisted. I got my Japanese saw. He didn't like the result - I cursed myself for not finding a way to talk him out of it !

At least, I get to see that guitar once or twice a year, either at his gigs or on TV:

The design is is excellent did you make the bridge plate yourself ?
i agree he should of left the headstock alone it looked so much better with the point it complemented the shape of the body

epizootics

Tele-Meister
The design is is excellent did you make the bridge plate yourself ?
i agree he should of left the headstock alone it looked so much better with the point it complemented the shape of the body

Thank you! Yup, I made this one from 2mm stainless steel sheet. The inspiration was the tremolo on the old Hagstrom guitars...

48308683977_32314c5f67_c.jpg

48308581436_0f28d09253_c.jpg

48308696782_ed3eda9455_c.jpg

The TOM is attached to the plate via two M8 rivnuts. It takes a bit of elbow grease to connect the two holes that make up the string anchoring points but overall they are easy to make, as long as you have flap sanding discs for your angle grinder!

Recalcitrant

Tele-Meister
A brief word in my thread— I chose the word “made” rather than “built” in my title to imply inclusivity of guitars with bought necks. No shame in ever using one! I’ve huge admiration for guys who start with a wood blank, of course, and wish I shared the ability. At the end of the day, however, it’s labor for an axe to channel one’s passion for guitar that is the real “build.”