Possibly looking at another Tele

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TelePlank, Jan 21, 2020.

1. TelePlank

TelePlank TDPRI Member

Thinking of buying a new or used guitar. If I decided to go through with it I'm tinkering with the idea of 3 guitars . An American Original (Avri?) '60s Tele in Burgundy Mist Metallic, a White Blonde Classic Series '50s Esquire or something along the lines of an American Vintage '52 Tele ( I know there's variations of the '52 reissues). These are models I'm not too familiar with and I'm a bit behind on the model changes game. I currently have a Classic Series '60s Tele which I adore.

What do I have to look out for and which ones seem to be the good/well viewed models/years. I know there might be older threads about this, but I'd also like to hear from people who may be newer that have these or someone who didn't get a chance to post before. Thanks!

Edited to add I'll probably have to order and not have a chance to play one or any of them depending on what I go with. Though I did own a Classic Series '50s Esquire before.

2. Frankentwang

Frankentwang TDPRI Member

What's your budget around?

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

Have you PLAYED any of them? I rarely consider a guitar based on the "model".....I prefer to test drive it.

4. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

50s Classic Esquire would be a fun guitar with a chunky neck.
    Any of the 60s models, Fender and Gibson both, are often too skinny of necks so I avoid all that unless you can play in person.

There are some MIM Standards in Midnight Wine that is a variation of the burgundy mist, sorta. More red and less purple. Would be much less expensive with those on the used market.

Install 4-way switches and reverse the control plates, at least that's what I'd do ;)

5. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

Play them.

Burgundy mist looks nice, but most us teles look nice too. Play them.

You know I'll just say to buy them all.....

;)

I will say I dislike the idea of an expensive esquire. A Japanese or Mexican one makes more sense to me, in this age of reissue Broadkasters.....

Fiesta Red and nojazzhere like this.
  6. Junior59

Junior59 TDPRI Member

Just picked up an MIJ flower power Tele. A 2016 model. I also have a 2012 MIJ Strat. The Tele neck is not anorexic, and the Strat has a Louisville Slugger ‘vee’ neck. Both have basswood bodies. I love the feel. I do have a 1991 Custom Shop ‘69RI Strat in the quiver, but gotta say I like my MIJ’s just as much, if not more so.
    7304692D-6441-4614-9F47-4A96D653B84A.jpeg

Crobbins, TelePlank and VWAmTele like this.
  7. jamesepowell

jamesepowell Tele-Meister

Me? I'm constantly looking at another Tele.

8. TelePlank

TelePlank TDPRI Member

My budget is around $2000 USD.

Fiesta Red and Junior59 like this.
  9. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

The 2012-2017 AVs are great and now are all used so less $ than a new AO. You should seriously consider the 64 model. Same PUs as AO, but with 7.25 radius neck and no binding. See my avatar for a peek.

kurtmanifest1, TelePlank and Junior59 like this.
  10. TelePlank

TelePlank TDPRI Member

Last time I went to a few music stores they had a limited selection Tele wise. I'm gonna look around more this or next weekend. All 11 or so guitars I've ever owned were bought online so far my win/lose ratio is pretty good. If I can find one that I like in a store I may just walk out with it.

NewKid, Junior59 and nojazzhere like this.
  11. Pontiaddict

Pontiaddict TDPRI Member

if your budget is 2K, buy an American Ultra in Texas Tea and wait for the collectors to catch on...

NewKid, TelePlank and Junior59 like this.
  12. TelePlank

TelePlank TDPRI Member

Holy cow that looks good. At first it just looked like a black with a brownish tint.....then I saw a video and it's a gorgeous finish.

NewKid, Pontiaddict and Junior59 like this.
  13. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Afflicted

I'm a huge fan of Mexican fenders; my MIJ mustang and the CIJ mustang bass I used to have were very superb, but several of the MiMs really captured my attention.

US made instruments get better paint jobs and pickups. No way around it. I'd take a MIJ Jag with a CAR headstock to match the body over MIA ones any day.

All good. I'd definitely recommend anyone buying a fender that cracks $1k to play all they can first. Theres just alot of differences.

14. Teleguy61

Teleguy61 Friend of Leo's

Possibly?
    Possibly?
    Of course you're looking at a new Tele!
    The only question is whether or not you pull the trigger.

Junior59 likes this.
  15. Corvus

Corvus Tele-Meister

Three guitars!!!!! Way too few!

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Something to think about. Which seems obscure but I personally don't think it is.

The Classic 50s Tele and Esquire use the same fretwire as your well loved 60s. But then, Ensenada dumps that poly finish on the neck, almost takes the fretwire size down one notch.

So, play these maple board models before you buy. You would be better off that some guys, because with multiple guitars you won't quickly wear that 6230 down to the point it has to be replaced (or I guess you could extend the fretwire's life by removing the poly from the fretboard surface). This in my experience is not an issue on the AV52 because the neck finish is quite thin and non-intrusive.

TelePlank likes this.
  17. teletail

teletail Tele-Meister

For that you could get a Ron Kirn.

18. TelePlank

TelePlank TDPRI Member

I never had an issues of my Classic Series 50s Esquires frets, but I never had it long enough to worry about getting the frets redone. The American Original 60s Telecaster has listed that it uses 21 vintage tall frets. Are those the same as the Classic Series 60s Tele? I know it has a 9.5 radius vs 7.25. Haven't had a 9.5 radius neck in awhile. I know some people don't feel it much because it's not a huge difference, but I do. Thanks for the info!

19. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Friend of Leo's

You have a lot of options in that price range...

I’d go to a few well-stocked shops and try every in sight.

TelePlank likes this.
  20. TelePlank

TelePlank TDPRI Member

So I went to my local Guitar Center today and tried a few guitars. They had only 1 American Original 60s Tele in stock. I tried it and it was nice, but the neck was a bit too chunky at the lower frets. So sadly I thinks that's a pass for me. I also tried an American Ultra as Pontiaddict suggested....and I loved it! Thinking I'll go with one in Texas Tea as suggested too that looks beautiful. May wait for sweetwater to get them in so I can choose a weight. Or is this a limited thing?

NewKid and Pontiaddict like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.