Possible Vintage Gibson Humbuckers in my Sheraton?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Texsunburst59, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Friend of Leo's

This past Sunday I found and put on layaway a '89/'90 Epiphone Sheraton II guitar

The guitar is not 100% stock and has 2 hardware upgrades.

1) vintage Gold Schaller M6 mini tuners

2) vintage Gold Schaller Model 492 Quick Change Stop Tail Bar w/ fine tuning adjustable screws(removed by previous owner)

Here's where Gibson pickup question comes in.

I think besides upgrading the above pieces of hardware, the previous owner upgraded the pickups as well.

On almost all pictures I've ever seen of these older '89 to early 90's Epi Sheraton guitars, the gold plating on these pickups is almost always rubbed off the tops of both neck and bridge pickups.

I've also noticed that almost all the import humbuckers installed in the Korean, Chinese,etc........ imports guitars, all have phillips head screws for the pickups height adjustment.

I'm thinking that the pickups in this guitar might be vintage Gibson humbuckers for thes reasons

1) the pickup height adjustment screws on both the bridge and neck are slotted head screws common to older late 60's and early 70's Gibson Patten Sticker T-Tops.

2) the gold plating wear on these 2 pickups is consistent with the better quality used on Gibson pickups

3) I've never ever seen slotted head screws pickup height adjustment screws used on any import pickups

Here's some pics of my Sheraton with pickups in question.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My Gibson 80's guitars with original pickups all use the phillips head screw for the pickup height adjustment as well.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Telekarster likes this.
  2. gridlock

gridlock Poster Extraordinaire

Very nice guitar. Congratulations.

These do like Gibson PU’s to me, but hard to tell for sure without removing them. Pull them and look at the back side for some ID at your next string change.

Texsunburst59 likes this.
  3. Texsunburst59

Thanks for replying gridlock.

I have my fingers crossed that they are legit Gibson humbuckers.

I'll get a chance to confirm whether they are legit or not, when I get it out of layaway in a week or two.

Telekarster and gridlock like this.
  4. Ron C

Ron C Tele-Holic

Another possibility: I think that some Seymour Duncan buckers that I bought years ago came with slot head screws.

Congratulations on getting such a beautiful guitar.

5. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister

They could be the original pickups but with replaced screws. Or any replacement pickup. Without seeing the back of them, it won't be possible to tell.

The guitar looks nice regardless. Are the pole piece screws in the neck humbucker missing?

Texsunburst59 and northernguitar like this.
  6. northernguitar

northernguitar Friend of Leo's

I’ll be the neg here and say I don’t agree with your reasoning.

7. Crafty Fox

Crafty Fox Tele-Afflicted

Yours looks similar in colour to my '81 Japan Sheraton.
    But mine has the Frequensator tailpiece and gold, not amber knobs, 2 screw truss rod
    cover, and a black pickguard.
    My pickups are Maxon MMK 75 with Philips screw height adjustment.
    I won't be making any changes to this guitar.........and that's unusual for me!!!

IMG_2636.jpg

Telekarster likes this.
  8. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Duncan used to use flat blade screws with their vintage stuff. Could be a lot of things in there. Sweet Guitar regardless.

northernguitar and Texsunburst59 like this.
  9. Texsunburst59

Yeah they're missing and I have no idea why the owner would have taken them out.

I am going to get some screws and put them back in though.

10. Ebidis

Ebidis Friend of Leo's

The mounting screws mean nothing. Duncan pickups come with flathead screws. Also, they are easily replaced, and can be bought at any hardware store, or from Amazon.

I have bought many sets of replacement mounting screws in the past to use with pickups that I had in the parts bin, which had no screws to go with them

11. Texsunburst59

That's an amazing looking guitar crafty Fox love the color

Crafty Fox likes this.
  12. northernguitar

If they are real T-Tops, they’ll be worth more than the guitar.

13. Texsunburst59

Yeah I know that be like at least $900 for a set of t-tops.

14. northernguitar

Maybe more. The Pat. No. pickups seem to fetch more than the stamped T’s. I have a stickered T and it’s fantastic. Bright and chimey.

BB and Texsunburst59 like this.
  15. stormin1155

stormin1155 Tele-Holic

Well, that's pretty scant evidence to jump to a vintage Gibson conclusion, but it's an interesting question. You won't know until you pull the pickups. Congratulations on your beautiful new guitar!

16. Dobbin

Dobbin TDPRI Member

I wish you luck but I will echo the posts that caution you to be prepared for them being almost anything but vintage Gibson pickups.

Ruling out a few that you know they aren't still leaves hundred if not thousands of other possibilities on the table. I mean, it's even possible it's just a cover swap onto the originals or some other replacement. Given the screws are missing there's no telling what else that owner got up to.

northernguitar likes this.
  17. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

MIK Sheraton II owner too. I agree with others not to jump to any conclusions, but it will be interesting to see what you find after pulling them out. I have a newer natural, but the era of yours with that burst is my favorite. Congrats.

northernguitar and Texsunburst59 like this.
  18. Texsunburst59

No I get what you're saying and I'm not saying that they are I'm hoping they might be.

My thought process was the owner was trying to upgrade a lot on this guitar to make it more like a 335.

That's why he got the schaller M6 tuners and the schaller492 stop bar tailpiece with the adjustable screws to mimic some of the '80s Gibson offerings.

This is why because of the slotted height adjustment screws and the fact that the gold plating hasn't worn off like the stock Korean pickups, they could be legit Gibson pickups.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  19. Dobbin

Dobbin TDPRI Member

Could be.

20. Telekarster

Telekarster Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I certainly wouldn't surprise me if someone upgraded the pup's.... question of course is, what? No way to really know until you get the thing and pull em out. When you do, post the pics ;) Either way, that is one sweet lookin' guitar man, and congrats! I hope you got some early Gibby's in there... that would be a hoot! I bought a used 2001 AVRI Strat that was the sweetest sounding strat I'd ever played. One day I thought to myself "hmmm.... wonder what pup's are actually in it?" So I pulled the guard and found.... wait for it.... Abby Ybarra's signed pups in it!!!!! Booyah! Score! :) Hopefully you'll have similar luck!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.