Possible trade - 52 AVRI for LP Traditional

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by AlbertaGriff, Feb 15, 2019.

1. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

Hi all, I'm considering trading my 2012 AVRI '52 Telecaster for a 2016 Les Paul Traditional.

I currently have the 52 and an AV 64 Tele, which I play a lot more often. I don't have any humbuckers in the house. I'm having a bit of cold feet about it though, for whatever reason.

What do you think?

CV Jee Beez likes this.
  2. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Why not if that's what sparks your imagination. Unless there's something real special about that particular 52 you can replace it down the road if you change your mind. They're not hard to come by in the used market.

3. Jules78

Jules78 Tele-Holic

I had one and sold it. I dont like les pauls at all. Ergonomics just dont work for me. If you are coming from teles, why not get a keith richards style tele with hb? Or wire one with a 4 way switch.

4. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

+1, it just doesn't fit right.

5. AlbertaGriff

Interesting, it's been a long time since I played one. I'm going to try it out today.

6. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I mostly play tele's but own 4 les pauls, one being a 2010 traditional with the fat neck. You get comfortable on just about any guitar after spending some time playing them. I think the traditional's are a great les paul. Like a super charged beefier tele. I say go for it if that's what you want.

7. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I’d trade.

Paul in Colorado, MickM and ickylick like this.
  8. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

If you really prefer the AV '64 to the '52 - and hardly ever play it (as in have to force yourself to play the '52 instead of the '64) then I would do the deal - depending on which of the two 2016 LP Traditionals you are being offered.

In case you weren't closely following Gibson - 2015 was the year they switched all their Gibson USA models to the wider necks and robo tuners. Nothing wrong with those guitars - you just have to like the 1 3/4" nut width as the robo tuners are easily removed and replaced if you don't like them or can't get them to function properly.

Gibson reacted to the 2015 model backlash by producing 2 full series in 2016 and 2017 - so there was an "HP" series that had all of the modernizations of the 2015 models (although they did make the nut width a bit narrower - in-between the 2015 width and the normal Gibson 1 11/16" width) and the "T" series that went back to their traditional specs.

To further muddy the waters that "T" stood for "Traditional" - so technically there is a Les Paul Traditional "T", or "Les Paul Traditional Traditional" in both 2016 and 2017.

So you should make sure that you know which version you are being offered - while the HP models were more expensive they generally don't retain as much of their value as the T models - and can be a bit more difficult to sell if the guitar doesn't work out for you.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  9. AlbertaGriff

It's a T model. Gibson stuff is hard to keep track of.

10. Controller

Controller Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

LPs are not my thing but why not give it a try? You will learn something about your tastes in guitars. I have Teles, semi and full hollowbodys, and a Strat type. Single coils, humbuckers and P90s. Depending on the gig it's nice to have a choice.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  11. WingedWords

WingedWords Tele-Afflicted

I got my first LP, a 2018 Traditional, last autumn. It's a lovely instrument, very nicely put together and plays beautifully with a super slick action. But the sound of humbuckers just doesn't work for me. I'm very tempted to do exactly the opposite of you and trade in for an American Original 50s Tele.
    Lovely guitar and a LP is something everyone should experience sometime. But make sure you play it for long enough.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  12. ac15

ac15 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I don’t like LP’s when sitting down, but they balance great standing up. And nothing sounds like one.

Greggorios likes this.
  13. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Tele-Afflicted

You should eventually get the Trad, maybe a used one, but it will be a great addition to your family.
    All through the 70's I lived with nothing but a standard Tele and a LP Custom. And a SR of course.

AlbertaGriff likes this.
  14. WildcatTele

WildcatTele Tele-Meister

If you aren't emotionally attached to the '52 I'd say go for it. You're kind of at that monetary level with both that down the road if you find you don't care for it you could probably find a willing trade partner for the LP pretty easily for something else desirable.

Paul in Colorado likes this.
  15. Andy B

Andy B Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I traded a very abused beat up mongrel 63 Jazzmaster for a pristine 1999 Les Paul Classic last year. We each think we got the better of the deal. I really liked the way the Les Paul felt & played. It had been upgraded to a set of 57 Classic pickups. The bridge pickup was fine but the Neck pickup was too muddy for me. I put a cover on and swapped in a Duncan Jazz Neck pickup which sounds great to my ears. So if the Les Paul feels & plays good to you I'd say go for it.

16. Sinner1980

Sinner1980 Tele-Meister

I was in the same situation and decided to get rid of my AV64 while holding on to my AV52, which had my preference.

Put some money aside and today got an Epiphone les paul to see if les pauls in general will grow on me again. Very happy with my choice thus far!

I’d say go for it, if the traditional is what you like though.

17. adjason

adjason Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I would at least go play it- having a les paul instead of three teles would be a sweet deal I would say

18. ickylick

ickylick Tele-Holic

Can't go wrong with adding an LP (for humbuckers), but if you like playing in the upper register, it's a bit of an adjustment, but I've never had issues going back and forth.

19. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Tele-Afflicted

pics and specs of the traditional plz...

no routing normally 50's wiring, tend to be heavy....I like em.

You'll likely get all the G string issues. I have a fix trick that usually works.

20. MickM

MickM Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Do the trade. I recieved a 1999 or 2000 LP Deluxe that gibson made for Musicians Friend as a Christmas gift that year and until a month ago I had logged roughly 5 hours on it. Nothing wrong with it at all, just been into the Tele sound while the LP languished in its pink lined case. Month ago I re-strung it, tweaked the intonation and wah-lah; sounds badass thru an 18W clone (Marshall gut punch badd), sweet in the TK Imperial and all around good in a 5f1 clone etc. For some reason (duh) I was convinced that the pickups were crap and was ready to get a set of Robs Firebird pickups until I played it these last weeks.
    The stock Gibson minis do what ever I ask of them so they can stay. Only con I can find is the tone pots don't have a gradual taper, go about 1/2 way down and approach the dark side but I can fix that. While it won't replace my Teles it has a spot in the line up.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.