Possible total failure

1bad914

Tele-Afflicted
I applied the first coat of finish on the repair this morning. It looks okay. I might have to apply a couple coats of finish, let it set and then drop CA in the crack. Hard to see in these pictures, but the line/crack is visible. Sorry about the dark photos, I hung it to dry then realized that I forgot pics. Did not want to move it and introduce dust. If you are wondering this finish is wipe on poly. Very easy to work with.
7EDFBA63-2080-406B-A88C-3C2E7B93B0D7.jpeg
D1DCB654-FB73-49FA-AA2C-FD10D6BC1C90.jpeg

Sea Devil

Friend of Leo's
Once again: hit that binding with some acetone and it will seal right up. Just wick it into the crack until it softens (it may take two or three drops a couple seconds apart) and press it gently with something smooth that won't stick. This is how corners on headstock bindings are fused.

It may be too late if your wipe-on poly has already gotten into the crack.

Last edited:

trackerdan

Tele-Meister
Ad Free Member
[]

I hate it when things like this happen. You already have a fix in place. So I think that it will turn out just fine. Now you'll have stories to tell. I can hardly wait to see the finished product!

Whitebeard

Tele-Meister
I have been slowly working On a 356/trini/whatever build. I have been documenting it here. I had applied the finish and was just starting the assembly process, I just finished tapping in the bridge posts and noticed that something was wrong.
View attachment 915636 View attachment 915637 View attachment 915638 View attachment 915639
The right lower bought and ear are cracked. The back is the only thing holding it on. I think I may have caused it. I had it on a pad and towel, while tapping in the pin in the middle I must have pushed the center down causing a torque on the right side. Sigh.

I think I can kind of fix it. Glue, clamp and then glue in some braces on the inside.
Not sure if I would be better off using wood glue or CA. Obviously I will have to refinish it….again.
"Wood glue (PVA Polyvinyl acetate) is in general stronger than CA glue (cyanoacrylate) on most carpentry procedures. CA glue has a shortcoming in that it won’t endure vibration, it is comparatively more fragile. CA glue additionally requires the pieces you are working with to be altogether contacting: No holes are permitted." - CA Glue Explained. All Questions Answered. - Top Woodworking Advice

1bad914

Tele-Afflicted
I applied a couple of coats of finish, let it dry a couple of days. This morning I laid down a bead of thin CA in the cracks. I laid it down a little thick, basically built it up. Let it dry and carefully used a scraper to flatten it. Then wet sanded it totally flat. As of right not I cannot see the the crack. I will let it dry and start applying finish. Hopefully this will be it. This will require 6-7 coats of poly to get it even.
92166848-9F87-4794-AFBA-EF009303B37F.jpeg
4792AB50-F6D7-4AA7-97F6-9AD2716A962E.jpeg
DBBC30C7-7B58-43A6-B4B4-88A5A77998C8.jpeg

hopdybob

Friend of Leo's
All glued up and back support added. I wet sanded everything back and now will let it rest a day. Then start the refinish process. The one on the side will disappear a little with finish, but the binding will always show. I think I will be happy enough.
View attachment 915993 View attachment 915994 View attachment 915995
Dang, you did a good job there.
but you know, so you always will see it, others will not ;)
battle scars, and you can be proud you did the job well