1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Possible to recone a P12RL to a P12R?

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by doof, Jul 20, 2020.

Tags:
  1. doof

doof Tele-Holic

Hi everyone,
    I recently finished the chassis of my first amp build, a 5e3. I bought a Cannabis Rex for it, but while I'm waiting on my carpenter friend to build the cab, I've been keeping an eye on old speakers on eBay. Yesterday I found a decent deal on an old Jensen P12RL, and since I have no impulse control, I hit the 'buy it now' button pretty quickly.

Doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info available for these, other than the 'L' standing for Low Frequency. I'm wondering, if for any reason this speaker isn't a good match, can I just recone it with a P12R recone kit? Or is there anything I'm not taking into account? Obviously I'm kinda new to amp builds, so I'm worried I might have more confidence than skill at this point. Any insight would be much appreciated, thanks very much!

nojazzhere and rangercaster like this.
  2. rangercaster

rangercaster Poster Extraordinaire

I have no clue ...

Since you already ordered it ...

I hope it works for ya !!!

doof and nojazzhere like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

Not familiar with the L designation. What does the cone look like? Link?
    They look like ribbed cones on the Ebay ones, and quite expensive!

4. doof

doof Tele-Holic

Here's a couple pictures. Now, I'm no expert, but by the looks of that dustcap I'm guessing it's already been reconed.

20200720_164605.jpg 20200720_164548.jpg

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    slider313 likes this.
  5. schmee

Yeah, maybe. How does it sound? I was surprised how expensive they are on Ebay. Probably a low watt speaker.. 15w? 20? It could just be a longer voice coil throw, maybe bigger surround rib too for the low freq. Yeah that dust cap looks big for a small voice coil, small magnet R series.

doof likes this.
  6. slider313

slider313 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

The P12RL was built for use as a "woofer" in low powered stereo systems from the 1950's and early 1960's. The picture you posted looks like a recent recone. Hook it up and give it a listen. If it sounds good, it is good.

7. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Some speaker designed to function as woofers make great guitar speakers.

doof and schmee like this.
  8. schmee

Yep, One of my favorite 15" is an EV15B (Bass and PA speaker) I use it for outdoor gigs. Never heard a better 15" speaker for guitar. Clear, clean, throaty, with some growl and a musical voice. :lol: (uh oh, here come the word police!) It's a sleeper, Everyone wants an SRO or an EV15L. I've had both, the 15B is the best of the 3!

doof likes this.
  9. jhundt

jhundt Doctor of Teleocity

I have 2 of those that were taken from an old tube stereo console. I tried (many years ago) to find any info about the L designation, and found nothing. They sound good in a guitar amp.

doof likes this.
  10. doof

doof Tele-Holic

Unfortunately I'm still waiting for it to arrive, but it should be here next week, i'll update this post once I have a chance to put it in a cab and try it out. Thanks for the comment!

11. doof

doof Tele-Holic

I'm really glad to hear your experience has been positive, makes me less apprehensive about having pulled the trigger so quickly. Really looking forward to it showing up.

And a big thanks to everyone else who commented! much appreciated!

jhundt likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.