1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Possible Thief at the Local Thriftshop

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by TheGoodTexan, Sep 23, 2013.

1. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Warning: Long Story Ahead

I made a lunch-time round to a local Goodwill today, which I hit about 2 or 3 times a week. It's likely the biggest Goodwill there is. Among the things I've found there: Epiphone 15w practice amp ($3), Yamaha 5.1 surround receiver ($9), Alpine 6 disc changer, new in box ($9), reclining patio lounge chair, new ($14), and more Old Navy blue jeans for $6 each that I can remember.

Today I saw a gig bag laying on a couch. Before I could get over there, an older couple (mid-60s) had already seen it and was inspecting it. As per thrift-shop etiquette, I stayed back until they decide to put it down. They opened it up and an acoustic guitar was in it. The husband began looking around, as if to see if anyone was watching them. He didn't notice me. They opened up the side pocked and took out what appeared to be a Bible. I couldn't tell what type of guitar it was, but it looked low-budget. They took a few more items out of the pocket, and now both of them were looking around to see who was watching them. This was odd to me.

I walked around behind a shoe rack so that I could still watch them, but less conspicuously. I was waiting for them to set the guitar down and walk away, so that I could have my turn at inspecting it.

But something different happened. The husband handed the bag to the wife, with the guitar in it, and she began walking away toward the front of the store. I thought, "Well... I've lost out on that item." The husband went a different direction. And I went to look at the blue jeans.

About 2 mins later I noticed a local street-walking guy in the store. I recognized him, because he wears a kilt and Scottish beanie/cap that goes with it. Also, he regularly mans one of several corners in the area, selling the "homeless newspaper" in town, The Contributor. He's easy to spot. And he was frantically asking an employee something. I heard her say, "Check with the folks at the front of the store to see if it got turned in." Just a few seconds later I heard an annoucnement over the store intercom, "If you have picked up a guitar while shopping in the store today, please return it to the front desk. This item is not for sale and is a personal belonging to another shopper. Thank you." Then I saw the kilt-guy walking around again, looking everywhere.

So I asked him, "Are you looking for an acoustic guitar in a gig bag?"

He said, "YES! Have you seen it?"

I explained to him about the couple that had been looking at it. I asked if it had a Bible in the pocket, and he responded with an even more enthusiastic "YES!!!" That was the point where I gained some level of credibility with him, since I knew about the Bible being in the bag too.

I walked around the store with him, describing the couple that I had seen with the guitar, but we could not find them. Remember - it's a very large store. Finally, near the front, I saw the husband... about to walk out one of the two exits. I told my kilt-wearing-friend, "That's him. That's who I saw with the guitar. His wife was the one I saw walk away with it."

At that, he hurriedly walked toward the man. By the time he caught up with him, the man was already half-way to his car. I followed a few steps behind. I heard him ask about the guitar, and the husband replied, "I have no idea what you're talking about." As the kilt-guy returned to me, I noticed the wife already sitting in their car. So I asked the man, "Were you not looking at a guitar in a gig bag?" He said, "No sir." I said, "I saw you take the guitar out, and also take out a Bible." He said, "But I didn't do anything with it. I don't have it." I said, "Your wife walked away with it." He ignored that and walked toward his car. I told kilt-guy, "He's not being honest here. You may want to have a look in their back seat." So kilt-guy follows the man, but not too close... maybe 15 feet behind him, and then looks all in the car. The husband shouts something at him, so kilt-guy retreats back to me. I said, "I wish we could see in their trunk."

We walked back inside, and walked over to where I had originally seen the couple inspecting the guitar... and there laid kilt-guy's Bible, on the floor beside the couch.

He was happy to get the Bible back, and show me his name that was in it. He told me he was going to call the police, and asked if would I stick around. I agreed, and then reminded him that I had not actually seen the couple walk out of the store with the guitar - I had only seen the wife walk away with the guitar, toward the front of the store. We followed her path, looking through all of the clothes racks and such, but no guitar.

He called the non-emergency police number, and asked the manager to view the security recordings.

About 15 mins later he was still on the phone, on hold, and the manager had not returned. I gave him my name and number and left.

I see the guy in the area at least 3 or 4 times a week. If he doesn't have a guitar with him next time I see him, I'm going to give him one of mine, one that would suit his purposes.

2. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah, leave the Bible but take the guitar.
    WTF would a dishonest couple want with
    an old used Bible anyways!

Like, as if they would read it and learn some
    ethics?

3. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire

Yep, that's just what I was thinking. I hope he gets it back.

4. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

You wear thrift shop jeans?

That makes me want to mail you some jeans, what size you wear?

5. TheGoodTexan

Absolutely.

I found a specific style of Old Navy jeans that are incredibly comfortable, but are usually $29 if not on sale. Some times you can get them for $19. Even still... you have to wear and wash them several times to get them to loosen up.

I usually find about one pair of Old Navy jeans per month in my size at this local Goodwill, and are exactly the same style. 6 BUCKS.

I come home and wash them in HOT water, then wear the heck out of them, and don't sweat it too much if I spill something on them.

And I find shirts there too. I found a brand new North Face shirt there a few weeks ago - regularly about $60... I got it for $4.

I'm not too proud to save a few bucks.

6. TheGoodTexan

And I'm not too proud to accept someone mailing me free clothes.

I wear 36W x 34L

If you're serious, PM for an address. If you're not serious, that's cool.

7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Good on yah, TGT, for helping that guy out.

Must ... not ... post ... Macklemore...

8. Bones

I am serious, I'm about to drop down to 34"X 36" from 36"x36", if you don't mind them a little long, I'll send you some once i go shopping for new ones. most of my friends have short legs or big waists, or both :eek:

9. getbent

getbent Telefied Silver Supporter

dang!

10. buckfuzzard

buckfuzzard Tele-Meister

I hate Thieves,
    Hate is such a strong word.
    Yes, I hate Thieves !

11. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

And did I read that story right? The wife walked out with the guitar and gig bag without paying for it? That takes some nerve.

12. Bones

I think the implication is they walked in with it, sorted it out and then left with it.

13. brewwagon

brewwagon Poster Extraordinaire

lowlives

14. TheGoodTexan

I don't think I explained it properly.

Kilt-guy had been in the store earlier and left the guitar there.

The older couple found it, and somehow determined that it was not an inventoried-item for sale, but that it must belong to someone.

(Presumably) The wife walked out of the store without attempting to pay for it.

Kilt guy returned for his guitar about the same time, but it was already gone.

15. babalooga

babalooga Tele-Holic

If you read the last two lines of the story you will find out why he is The Good Texan. Sad to say, not enough folks like him.

16. E5RSY

E5RSY Doctor of Teleocity

Those folks sound like real dirtbags. You should have had kilt/tam-o-shanter guy sit down behind their car (with their knowledge, of course) and you act like you're filming it with your phone until the cops got there. I hope y'all wrote down their plates.

17. wutmornin

wutmornin Tele-Holic

Coming to realise that thievery is just selfishness, in this case compounded by seeing the victim in the parking lot and still deciding that having the guitar for themselves was more important than the damage done to kilt man.

Personally I see selfishness on this level as being just a step away from the selfishness required to drink and drive or any other felonious acts in which a person places their own desires over the welfare of all others they may harm. The law says this is a misdemeanor petty theft, I say it is a glance inside the minds of the perpetrators and I see enough to say lock 'em up.

Never going to happen, the best outcome is the car was ID'd and kilt man gets his guitar back, worst is they go on thinking that selfishness pays and hurt someone else next, more, irreparably.

18. harold h

harold h Friend of Leo's

I hope someone got the couples license plate number.

19. creading

creading Tele-Holic

A Kilt guy, a theiving older couple, a Good Texan and folks offering up blue jeans. All the makings of a David Lynch movie.

20. terryc

terryc TDPRI Member

That's how it works. Generous people donate there stuff for good people to enjoy for a good cause and some cheap scum steals it.
    Like stealing food to survive and there is food banks for that.
    And its not like a guitar is a neccesity of life....hmmm....wait....thinking....no its...not...a necessity. There I said it. What are my options again.
    A special place in hell for guitar thieves.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.