Possible sticky when asking questions?

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by corliss1, Sep 19, 2019.

1. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

So I was thinking (which is always dangerous)..............................

Most of the time when people post here they are working on an amp likely early on in their amp building and debugging career, if not for the very first time. They may not even know what questions they need to ask or what info to provide to get a constructive answer. Is there any way we could get a sticky at the top of this specific forum that covers:

-the dangers of working on tube amps (since a lot of threads end up devolving into us preaching about not dying)
    -things you should post with your question (a voltage chart, specific schematic and layout of what you're working with, photos if you think they are helpful)

Good idea? Terrible idea? Stuff people aren't going to read anyway and just scroll by?

Asmith likes this.
  2. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

The Voice of Curmudgeon speaks:

How much easier do you want it to be? Do you want me to build it for you?

I'm not a moderator but here's what I figure would happen:

Shock Bros isn't exactly a fast moving forum. I expect a traffic jam of project amps would be stuck at the top of the forum.

Many of the builds are 5F1 and 5F3 types. Further, they're mostly from one vendor. That's actually an asset. Everyone should build 5F1 or 5E3 types within their first several builds.

If everyone builds 5F1 types (and everyone should build 5F1 types!) as their first builds, we build a database of 5F1 builds. Want to see voltage charts? Look at previous builds. Just scroll down the forum.

Electrocution hazard? There wasn't any "magic internet" during my first several decades of amp building. There wasn't anyone there to tell me anything. I ain't dead yet.

Back then it was a challenge to beg, borrow or steal schematics especially Marshall schematics. I still have a bundle of yellowed Marshall schematics copied on a Xerox machine that was low on toner.

And so on.

FRANKENJAG and Commodore 64 like this.
  3. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

That is my other worry too - we just get a pile of 5f1 images and schematics :D

4. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

That would be great thanks!

King Fan, sds1, zephyrR1 and 2 others like this.
  5. Nickfl

Nickfl Tele-Afflicted

I've often thought there should be a sticky on this forum titled "Before you start your first build"... And item #1 would be: "build a damn lightbulb limiter"! It's really a vital troubleshooting tool that most people ignore when they first start building.

A thread with links to startup procedures, basic safety and maybe some YouTube how to solder videos would help a lot of first timers. But then again, there isn't really much we could put in a thread that hasn't already been covered by Rob's website, Uncle Doug's videos or other well known sources, so maybe it's redundant.

6. Paul-T

Paul-T Tele-Meister

Hey, don't be prejudiced against us ignorant 5f1 (ok, 5f2) first-time builders!

I do think it's a great idea actually. Often you might want to pose a simple question rather than clutter up the forum with a whole new thread, and a Small Questions thread gets more traffic and therefore gives you a better chance for an answer.

7. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Great idea, tho I don’t see stickies much on TDPRI.

Doug Hoffman has a prominent sticky on EL34world for this purpose. He and his moderators cite it all the time too; many put the link in their sig lines.

https://el34world.com/Forum/index.php?topic=19361.0

Does it work? Not sure. Ton of info and links, for sure. It does link to a page to talk users thru highlighting the schematic as they trace their circuit. It does tell them to measure voltages but IIRC doesn’t detail how. I don’t recall a limiter, safety, startup per se.

Any IT grad students here? Research project: Create say three stickies: safety, build/test/startup, and troubleshooting. Focus group with a few pros to optimize them. Focus group with some noobs to user test them. Then post 'em and see how often they’re used and how often they help.

Ideally, I tend to link folks to a Rob, Merlin, Sluckey, or other page. But in reality I also type a lot (guilty here) of stuff that may never get read. The ad hoc approach we use isn’t great. Among other things, we get too many wrong answers (“I never use a limiter"; "you gotta use a variac"; “I just flip the switch — my amps always work.”) And even the most helpful users can’t repeat everything everywhere, and shouldn’t have to. A few good, focused stickies might help. I’m not holding my breath though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

I think its a great idea. Im sure it would be better to get bombarded with voltage charts and 5F1 pics than having them requested everytime some one has a trouble shooting problem. Also that isnt everything that happens on this subforum, a lot people post because they want to modify something but dont really know what there doing (at all). It would be kinder to have a health and safety sticky for them to look at rather than grilling them with 2 pages of take it to a tech.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.