Possible scam?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by jtpal25, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Jefe

Jefe Tele-Afflicted

Now hope you don't start getting a bunch of spam!

2. Agitator

Agitator Friend of Leo's

There are a lot of horror stories about paypal, but they're not really related to this particular scam, as far as I know. This scam usually proceeds with the guy sending you a check for some amount larger than you're asking, and asking you to give the difference to his agent, etc.

With Paypal, there are a number of ways you can get screwed, but it seems to be relatively rare. OTOH, you can get royally screwed, too, google the story about the antique violin. Still makes my blood boiled.

Basically, even if you have a delivery confirmation, they can still claim that the item was not as advertised (e.g. counterfeit, etc.) or they can request a refund and send a different item back, etc. It seems that Paypal's resolution system tends to favor the buyer, so make sure you have lots of photos and documentation of what sort of condition it's in, etc.

I don't have an exhaustive knowledge of this sort of thing, as I tend to sell relatively low-dollar items, but I'm sure that a quick google will provide you with many paypal sob stories, some legitimate, some not, etc.,

3. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

I've stopped using PayPal. Got scammed once through a clever scheme using Ebay. I only use Post Office Money Orders now. Easy to get. Can be deposited at your bank just like a check, or cashed at the PO if the amount isn't too large.

4. hannigan

hannigan Friend of Leo's

another scam involving pay pal is they fish for personal info with e mails telling you your account is suspended under review or temporarily blocked .

I have never had a pay pal account and lately whenever I post something for sale on CL

I get these scam e mails sometimes three or four on the same day.

Scamalisious marks must abound .

5. neocaster

neocaster Poster Extraordinaire

Anything more than: "I'm sorry, I was called away on business. Can we meet next Tuesday?" will get a "sorry, it's sold" response from me.

6. slauson slim

slauson slim Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Scam. Delete. The sob story, agent use and weird syntax are dead giveaways.

7. Chud

Chud Poster Extraordinaire

Scamola.

8. thumbpick

thumbpick Tele-Afflicted

runaway

9. Revv23

Revv23 Friend of Leo's

They pay it on a stolen credit card, then pick up your stuff, then the cc company takes the money back because the transaction was fraudulent, and then the investigation starts with you. Good call asking before you engage in a transaction.

10. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

The sob story, agent use and weird syntax are dead giveaways. Also if their server is down how can they send emails or arrange for their "agent" to do a pick up. Send a message back telling them to have their agent bring cash to a meeting in the MacDonalds car park of another town, not yours. Bet they don't reply to that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.