1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Possible grounding problem

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by 1955, Feb 15, 2014.

1. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

I'm getting shocked at the mic, and I posted a thread in the amp central station, as I haven't located the culprit.

It occurred to me that I haven't considered my guitar in the equation, since I'm not experiencing the normal symptoms of a bridge grounding problem.

But I thought I would ask the much more knowledgeable folks here just in case, if it is possible to have a problem with the grounding (mine is run under the bridge plate, Ted Greene/Parka style wiring, single coils,) and yet still have the normal functioning (quieter when touching bridge/strings, etc.)

Thankful for any help!

2. Jimmy Jazz

Jimmy Jazz TDPRI Member

The best I can do is "bump" this for you!

3. Outcaster

Outcaster Tele-Holic

4. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Tele-Holic

Sounds like you have a polarity problem with the power sources for your amp and the PA.

Does your amp have a three prong cord?

How about the PA, or whatever the mike is plugged into?

Get a circuit tester from the hardware store and use it everywhere you play.

Do not plug into anything that does not test out as having a good earth ground connection, and then run everything off of that source, or other verified sources.

Just because it is a three prong outlet it does not mean that it has an actual earth bond, nor does it guarantee that hot is hot and neutral is neutral.

When one amp (e.g. guitar) is wired hot and the other (e.g. microphone) is wired neutral the current tries run between them using your lips, fingers and everything in between as the conduit. The 'in between stuff' includes your heart. Hearts do not like extraneous voltage sources, it makes them do funny things, like stop beating.

This is exactly what killed Keith Relf.

5. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Thanks for all the help, been using the outlet tester at gigs, but it may likely be the PA. Have swapped around stuff, including my main surge protector that everything plugs into (amp, PA, etc.), but have not swapped the extension cord running off the PA to my main surge protector, that could be the problem. The amp is 3-prong, but its been dropped a couple times, am troubleshooting it right now in amp central station.

6. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

7. 1955

1955 Doctor of Teleocity

Update: issue solved, my amp was the culprit. And my butt looked big in my jeans. It's an ongoing struggle. Thanks for the help everyone!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.