Possible coodercaster-ish project, suggestions for an inexpensive Gold Foil?

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by richiek65, May 9, 2021.

1. richiek65

richiek65 Friend of Leo's

Been looking for a guitar to use as a dedicated Open D slide thing a la Cooder. Haven't found anything leaping out at me (in my price range) but I do have a Mexi CP60s strat in faded Sonic Blue that doesn't get a lot of use these days.

I also have a Firebird bridge pickup lying around and thought it might be cool to add a Gold Foil to the neck, ditching the middle pickup in the process.

Any suggestions for a reasonably inexpensive Gold Foil (haven't had the pleasure of one before so thought I'd use this to dip a toe in the Gold Foil water) that might pair with the FB in the bridge?

Any wiring dramas that I should prepare for?

Any other advice eg don't do it?

Fretting out likes this.
  2. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Pool route underneath?

Do you want authentic gold foil or just the look?

richiek65 likes this.
  3. richiek65

Dbl post

4. richiek65

Yeah pool route probably simplest..
    Thinking genuine gold foil, the ones I've heard in the flesh have been righteous, I'm thinking in combo with a FB should give a great result?

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

How about a Hilotron dressed up as a gold foil?

BorderRadio and richiek65 like this.
  6. jvin248

jvin248 Doctor of Teleocity

Certainly there are the Lollar/etc boutique copies of goldfoils at premium prices ... but goldfoils were designed, built, and sold at the lowest possible cost so a boutique copy is just spiritually wrong.

Go on ebay and find the least expensive goldfoil style.

Goldfoils tend to have weak magnets (some were like those rubber refrigerator magnets) with low windings on their bobbin(s). If you can solder, you can unwind a bobbin to get it down 20% in wire and resolder and reassemble for a more authentic experience. If you only spend $10-$20 for a set or two to mess with then you'll have less fear modding them. You can also mount them lower to the body away from the strings to weaken them up.

richiek65 likes this.
  7. richiek65

Oh that's a good suggestion!

8. richiek65

Considering some cheap ebay GFs, hopefully they're similar to cheap P90s, ie more than good enough for Rock n roll!

Last edited: May 9, 2021
  9. davidchagrin

davidchagrin Tele-Afflicted

Guitar Fetish for com has a good selection of ferrite gold foil pickups.

0utputXfmr and richiek65 like this.
  10. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

I've tried the GFS humbucker sized single coil gold foils and wasn't particularly impressed by them. I'll probably give them another chance in a later build since they're in my parts collection.

What I've really liked for this kind of tone is a vintage wound P90 in a real metal shell. I have one in my rehabbed Harmony H-801 and in my modded SX Tele. Here's what they sound like...

richiek65 and 62 Jazzmaster like this.
  11. richiek65

Thanks for the clips, I'd seen the first clip previously, think I've even saved it into my Slide playlist on YT and i remember seeing your SX tele photo too, both guitars do sound good!

Big fan of P90s, so I may end up down that road too. I'm somewhat attracted to the Gold Foils for their low output though a P90 might balance the FB a bit better?

12. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

“Gold foil” pickups are such a bad habit. They aren’t all the same, and everyone wants to slap some foil on a pickup and cash in.

If you’re going for the Teisco ‘offset’ pickup, the one Ry Cooder used, then the cheapest, most authentic to that is the MojoTone. There are others probably, but how accurate are they? If that doesn’t matter to you then it’s all moot.

I use both Hilos and Gold Foils, the DeArmond type (Novaks) in a Jazzmaster, and a Cooder-type in my Tele. Not the same.

Hilos are the lowest output. Clanky, bright. The Teisco in the neck is sweet, higher output if you get them real close to the strings, has blurry low notes. The DeArmond type Novaks are like P90s that distort less, and with less output than a P90. Not dark with any of these pickups, but the darkest are the Novaks.

8BCBD8AB-65E4-4B91-9279-010CFC46E097.jpeg 67711070-8991-40BC-A4DD-BBEB259A2540.jpeg

richiek65 and bgmacaw like this.
  13. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Poster Extraordinaire

If you get a vintage wound P90 and don't have it right on the strings it will balance well with the Firebird. It also helps to have a metallic case on the P90 to mellow it out a bit.

richiek65 likes this.
  14. hepular

hepular Tele-Afflicted

richiek65 and BorderRadio like this.
  15. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

The supro gold foil I have in my aviator is real nice. $89 I think.

I believe it is out of phase with my bridge, but that’s a good sound too.

richiek65 and BorderRadio like this.
  16. richiek65

Thanks for that clip, having a listen very soon.
    Your tele is like my Squier project. Just waiting to get the bravery up to install the Bigsby

The Novaks will be out of my price range I think!

17. richiek65

And in late news, I'm switching the donor guitar, now gonna use my Tokai strat that's already had quite a few mods, including routing for HSS, so I won't feel bad doing a bit more routing.

It's got a Floyd Rose (yeah yeah i know, needed something to replace the horrible Rockinger system it came with back in the 90s) that I've blocked the trem with a piece of my sons broken drumstick and some coins (for now) and removed the locking pads from the nut. Tuned it to open D and so far it's floating my boat, just needs action raised and I'll probably go from 10s to 11s, maybe 12s?

Now to work on getting a scratch plate loaded with the FB and something else for the neck
    IMG_20210517_175150.jpg

Last edited: May 17, 2021
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.