Positive Grid Spark v Katana

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Cloodie, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Cloodie

Cloodie Tele-Meister

I currently have a Katana 50 and as I was looking to jam along to some backing tracks I was looking to buy a Looper pedal. The issue here is that the Katana doesn't have an effects loop. That being the case I was going to upgrade to the Katana 100 as it does but I'm wondering if I should just buy a Positive Grid Spark instead.

Any thoughts on the pros and cons of either here? Off the bat I'm thinking the Grid would be less expensive than the Katana and a Looper pedal and I would also be able to play along with actual backing tracks rather having to come up with my own tracks.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  2. geetaruke

geetaruke TDPRI Member

I’m not even a big Katana fan. Had an MK100 here for a month, along with a Mustang GTX 100, and the Katana went back. But I prefer the Katana here.

I also had a positive grid that lasted a week here before going back.

The positive grid has more features, but they are glitchy in my experience. There is also a serious grounding issue that causes a nasty buzz in many units, in many situations. They will actually send you a different power cable if you let them know, but people have waited months for delivery, I’ve heard.

The Katana to me was just a bunch of different slight variations on the same Marshall sound, but it did sound good, much better than the positive grid IMO.

3. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

The Spark ground hum issue is old news that was resolved last year. I bought one of the last units that shipped with a 2-prong adapter. They replaced mine with a 3-prong power supply within a couple of weeks and they no longer ship with the 2-prongers.

Positive Grid’s forum is full of whingeing idiot owner though, so you get to look forward to that if you purchase one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.