1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Positive Grid Spark, now only $239, Anyone want to talk me in/out of this?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by Mike M, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

So cheap here, thinking of buying. Does it have a cool sound at low volume? Looking for a really low volume amp that still sounds good.

Please feel free to talk me in or out?

https://www.positivegrid.com/spark/

2. KirbyBarba

KirbyBarba TDPRI Member

It's a fun device. You can play your phone's music through it. Big library of tones. It's small speakers limits it to being a practice amp.

FrogManBearPig and Mike M like this.
  3. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

They sound good on YT clips but I guess you have to own one to really know. I am on the fence with this one. It's either this or a Roland Microcube.

A friend has an older Roland Cube and it's outstanding.

Mike M likes this.
  4. harpdog

harpdog Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Had one for a living room amp under an end table and it sounds pretty good, but I quickly tired of tweaking and deep diving. Replaced it with a Champion 20 and am happier.

KirbyBarba and Mike M like this.
  5. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I ran one of my basses through my Spark and it sounded pretty good. It doesn’t get as loud as my guitars, but for its size, it’s impressive.

My only gripe is that the its gain is noisy (that’s why the built-in noise gate). It makes me appreciate how quiet my Mark V:25 is.

There are other practice amps that sound better (Yamaha), but the app is what makes the Spark. While you *can* run the app on a phone, you’ll want to use a tablet to tweak the knobs more easily. If you don’t have one, add that to the Spark’s price tag.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    KirbyBarba and Mike M like this.
  6. Tim S

@Mike M , So did you get the Spark? You can’t leave us hanging.

Mike M likes this.
  7. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I haven't, sale still seems to be going on for another day, so tempted.

8. Tim S

It’s a great Bluetooth speaker, provides backing tracks with chord analysis (not perfect, but helpful) and a built-in “Trio pedal”. It also has that headphone jack for silent practice and a USB port for a recording interface.

For the lazy person who wants to pick out leads without annoying the patience of other musician— it’s perfect. :)

What’s holding you back? (The leather strap for a handle? I know, but it’s its visual signature)

Mike M likes this.
  9. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

I have a GTX100, Strymon Iridium, and Boss Waza Air, so I feel like I don't need another practice amp for headphone use, even though I badly want to try it.

Plus hearing the Spark's Plug in Power strip can be loud, and that the Spark is bassy.

BUT, then I see that Music Radar has it #1 on their yearly amp list (and other Guitar mags) are giving it high praise. I'm sure for $239, you can't go wrong, but do I "need" it? Trying to figure that out

https://www.musicradar.com/news/the-best-guitar-amps-for-beginners-and-experts

https://www.guitarworld.com/reviews/positive-grid-spark-review

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/positive-grid-spark-40

That Cal Webway likes this.
  10. Tim S

FOMO! :twisted:

Edit: if you don’t desire super easy to use backing tracks, then you can probably pass on the Spark.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    Mike M likes this.
  11. LutherBurger

LutherBurger Poster Extraordinaire

Too many features. Price is too low. Don't do it.

;)

Mike M likes this.
  12. Mike M

Mike M Tele-Meister

Funny :)

13. loopfinding

loopfinding Tele-Afflicted

eh, i'd rather just use an amp sim and monitors and have youtube/media player pulled up on the computer. doesn't cost anything extra, essentially the same thing, and probably sounds better.

14. Jim_in_PA

Jim_in_PA Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Darrell Braun just did another video with the Spark vs some "real" amps in his studio. The results were pretty darn impressive relative to the modeling sound vs "real". He did mention he had to turn back the lower end on the Spark a bit as it is a bit warm.

I have one but haven't had the opportunity to do much with it. My single gripe about it physically is that there's no "analog" audio output other than the headphone jack, as I'd like to be able to plug it into my board alongside of my keyboards to play around without having a computer involved. The sound of the bass in the smart accompaniment mode is pretty wonky from a sound standpoint. It's a little thing....

Mike M likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.