Posible amp trading: My Bassman 59 LTD for a Silver Face Twin Reverb

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by El Marin, Nov 15, 2019.

1. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

And I did it.

Went to the studio and tested the amp. Same thing. Then I looked inside... And I founded the upper left speaker with the +ve broken and loose. That speaker was not working at all. The fast-on male conector happens to be broken. I managed to stick it and tested the amp.

A completely different animal, oh my! much fuller and no hars and much proyecting sound than before.

I don't know since when is broken, many gigs and movings from bar to studio, van, venue, van, studio, van, venue, studio and on and on... who knows how much time

This night I have a full rehearsal with the complete band and this thursday we have a gig so will try how it works. I will weld that lead and double check the others before doing nothing else.

Fender amps are quite thought. Nothing broken inside so far.

Flaneur likes this.
  2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

There ya go. That would have been affecting the power amp output and behaviour.

3. El Marin

El Marin Tele-Afflicted

Absolutely

I just told the other guitar player, my band mate about the issue, yesterday I had a rehearsal with my band and the amp is as I want it to be. The other bandmates, drummer, bassplayer and singer/harp player told me my guitar sounded much better than other days... ( I asked them). My band mate, who has a Bassman told me that he always was a bit puzzled that my amp was more hars that his...

No, sorry, is not the guitar, is the amp ;)

And is not a better tone, is as it should. The other days, tone was BAD due an issue.

I went out of the studio with one of the biggest smiles EVER

Well, just called my friend I am not testing his Twin Reverb so far, told him about the issue and that I want to double check my Bassman for a while... I owe you some beers, mate. OK mate. So... let's rock

4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I like this guy, but this is a flawed comparison, with the BF on casters, the SF not, different speakers, and at these levels, the recorded frequency range won't be accurate, due to recording gear saturation, and can exaggerate the loss of HF, as witnessed by the Jensens top end sounding brighter than the JBLs (?). Or, the circuits have been altered, or speakers damaged, etc.

I've found, and you just have to experience these things for yourself, that the conventional wisdom on the internet about BF vs SF, MV's, and a host of other Twin lore is incorrect.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.