Porting a sealed cab.

Flyboy

Tele-Holic
I have a Fender Bassman and also a Wharfedale/Albion mini-stack with a sealed cab and I much prefer the open-backed sound. I also have a Klemt M40 vintage head and have been looking for a decent s/h open backed cab to go with it. However, I've go the chance of getting a Hartwood 2 x 12" angled cab which I really like the look of. Not daft about the ceramic speakers (I'll deal with that IDC). but I'm asking the experts on here about porting this cab. What's the best and easiest way to do it?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-06-14 111406.png
    Screenshot 2022-06-14 111406.png
    1,018.8 KB · Views: 7

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
All depends how split. Friedman and Boogie had some ported slants at one time..
If one open housing is different than separator.
ALso, their could be a math formula. yuk. for a cylindrical dispersion hole
and sound pressure, etc, etc.

Attachments

• ampapture.JPG
    ampapture.JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 10

stormsedge

Poster Extraordinaire
Gold Supporter
I have a 1x12 that was a closed back. It has a removable back panel. As unscientific as it was, I pulled the panel and cut a four-inch wide slice from the middle, then added a couple of screws to the four new corners. I stored the four-inch slice away, just in case...but, I like it better this way.

My 2x12 (that might benefit from an open back in my home conditions) does not have a removable back, so I'll be watching this thread for ideas.

LightningPhil

Tele-Holic
Seems you're aiming for open back type sound. Suggest a nice big oval, circle, square with rounded corners or other interesting shaped hole in the back, probably best made with a router and a template. You can mess up several bits of wood making a nice template that will then do a good job on the cabinet.

Then spray the inside black, being very careful not to ruin the outside or anything important on the inside such as the speakers. Should look cool.