Portable practice options

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by grim83, Aug 4, 2019.

1. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

I travel a good bit and also tend to wake up well before anyone else so im looking for an option for a cheap portable and quiet/silent practice. I have been using my blackstar fly for this purpose but id really like something with more options. Ive been looking at the some of the smaller multi effects like the hotone ravo or mooer ge100, or possibly another small battery powered amp like the katana mini.

List of wants/needs:
    Small and portable
    Decent sound quality (doesnt have to be mack daddy but needs to be passable)
    Cheaper (sub $200 closer to $100 would be ideal)
    Battery option is a plus
    A decent amount of tonal options
    Headphone out (headphone only is fine)
    Used options are fine

Amp models id prefer to have:
    Tweed deluxe
    Black face deluxe
    Jtm45/ Plexi
    JCM800
    Triple Rec

Im not against having generic amp modes like the katana does (i.e. clean, crunch, lead) as long as i get some eq flexability. I play a wide variety of music so i need it to be able to cover some ground.

Sent from my SM-A600A using Tapatalk

2. zeoy

zeoy Tele-Meister

Zoom g1 on is great. Looks like a toy but it's really good. Most amp models and effects sound great. Has built in looper and drum patterns. Works on batteries, usb power or typical 9v pedal power supply. Just forget the factory presets and make your own.
    Very cheap too.

3. rickthescot

rickthescot Tele-Holic

I use a Boss Br 80 when on the road. Meets most of your requirements but bumps the price a little.

4. Bill

Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Your smartphone.

5. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Im an android person and everything ive seen is for apple :(

The boss gt1 has caught my eye. It seems to offer almost everything i want. I have and enjoy a katana so the gt should be easy to switch over to. Any thoughts on this? I also like that they have a drop feature since i play a floyd rose equipped jackson quite a bit, and changing tunings is almost non negotiable

Bill likes this.
  6. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Friend of Leo's

I use a Vox Mini 3 to take to work and on road trips. It has a nice set of models and effects plus mic and aux in features. The slightly more expensive Mini 5 also has built in drums.

Here I am playing it in my car during a lunch break.

Bristlehound likes this.
  7. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

Behringer V-Amp, it's like the old Line6 PODs. Plug in headphones or run it into one of those small battery powered micro amps or a Squire G-10 practice amp that sells in the starter guitar packs but can be found cheap used.

BB likes this.
  8. dswo

dswo Tele-Holic

I have the Boss GT-1. It's sturdy, sounds good, is quite flexible. It is, as you surmise, comparable to the Katana (with which it seems to share a chunk of software).

For travel, though, I like the Zoom G1 Four even better. It's US$90, half the size and weight of the Boss GT-1, and sounds just as good overall. (I say "overall" because one might prefer x amp model or y effect on one unit or the other. I don't see a clear winner in terms of sound, though.) The Zoom also has built-in drums. I don't think you could go wrong with either. Both have loopers and run on batteries. The Zoom looper is easier to use. It can be synchronized with the drums, and the switch needs less pressure to activate. This isn't a criticism of the Boss switch -- it's made for more heavy-duty usage -- just an observation from someone who doesn't wear shoes in the house.

I have also traveled with the even smaller Vox Amplug, mentioned above. The Vox flavor that I tried -- there are also Fender and Marshall models -- sounds lovely; it has built-in delay, reverb, and chorus; and you can plug an MP3 player or drum machine into an AUX input.

Note: for playing live in front of an audience, the Zoom's size is a liability. It's so compact that it's easy to hit the wrong switch, or hit both at once and flip into tuner mode. The Boss GT-1 is better in this regard and, like most Boss gear, better suited to unceremonious stomping. I like the Zoom sounds, though, so I have started keeping my eyes out for a used G3n, which is bigger and better adapted to quick switching on stage.

9. Teleterr

Teleterr Friend of Leo's

I m a tube guy. I run my tube amp w a huge input and get just tube distortion.Thats where I m coming from.

I recommend the NUX Mitey Lite St . Great sound w clean, dirty and heavy distortion settings. It takes to "pedals" really well. BIG sound stage. It sounds like a big amp that's in the distance. I m using a EHX Crayon/Hot Tubes box w it and it has a 95%+ tube sound at around acoustic guitar volume.

10. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

pocket pod.png

11. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Pocket POD is a good option, or also the Digitech Element:
    https://digitech.com/en/products/digitech-element

[​IMG]

Both have the amp models you are looking for.

I have an old POD 2.0 but I always end up using the Element more for headphone practice.

12. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic

these are pretty sweet - small, portable, battery powered or AC -- it even works great as an audio interface for recording to a computer. The tone this little thing puts out is quite impressive

[​IMG]

DavidP likes this.
  13. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

I've used and liked the Zoom G2 MFX peda, Katana 50 and Vox VXII.

14. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Im really leaning towords a multi fx floor unit. I like the idea of having a viable piece of gear for other purposes besides portable silent practice. Plus ive thought of going in this direction before with my main rig so the gt1 seems like it would be a good way to try it out and maybe invest in a higher end piece later. I had a digitech rp55 that i liked but having to use the little numeric lcd screen was annoying as well as needing a book to program the thing.

For those that have gone this route is there anything else i should consider besides the gt1 and zoom g3xn? Im leaning towords the boss simply due to familiarity but the zoom would offer more options as far as amp sims go. I could also probably find a line 6 firehawk fx in this price range.

SolidSteak likes this.
  15. beninma

beninma Friend of Leo's

Both of these I've owned have models for the amps you're talking about. Both have a pretty pleasing set of built in FX as well with the caveat you can't always use all combinations at the same time.

THR5/10 - really small & really pleasing
    Roland Cube/Cube Street - built tougher, bigger

IIRC they have reverb & delay, but you can't use them both at the same time.
    They have Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Tremolo, but again you can only use one of them at a time.

You can use Reverb or Delay + One Modulation at a time.

Both run well on batteries.

Vox Adio ticks all these boxes too. For me though the Vox Adio build quality looked like a no-go. I had some trouble with my THR, the Adio looks super cheap compared to the THR, Adio is basically all snapped together plastic. The Roland amps are practically mil-spec compared to the other two. I would throw my Roland in the back of the car and let it bump around and never worry about it, it's very hard to believe the Street Cube & THR10 cost the same. The THR I always kept in it's padded bag and it broke. The Adio I looked at it + it's exploded diagram and didn't buy it.

16. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

I would have said Micro Cube, but the Pocket Pod fits in my (you you guessed it) pocket. And the batteries last much longer too.

17. Random1643

Random1643 Tele-Afflicted

Look at the 20W version of the Line 6 Spider V. Lots of amp, cab, effects options. Weighs a little over 10 lbs. Single channel. 8" speaker + a tweeter. Headphones for quiet practice. $130. Wouldn't wanna gig with it; I have the 120W cousin of this model which is fine for practice or the gig but more spendy.

[​IMG]

18. SolidSteak

SolidSteak Friend of Leo's

Yeah, if you didn't like the RP55 you probably won't like the Digitech Element after all. You might check out the RP 360 though, as it has a better looking LCD interface and a USB port to hook it to a computer.

There are a ton of good floor units out there, and you can probably find something used like a Line 6 PODHD300 or a Mustang Floor unit for under $200. I used to have a Line 6 POD HD300 (less switches and options than the 500, but cheaper) and it had some very fun and responsive models, including the Tweed Bassman, Deluxe, JCM 800, "Supro", etc. and effects as well.
    https://www.guitarcenter.com/Line-6/POD-HD300-Guitar-Multi-Effects-Processor.gc

Headphone out, stereo line out, into a guitar amp, recording console or PA, XLR, 1/8 inch and 1/4 inch. $130-$150 used. I kind of wish I hadn't sold mine now!

19. Fernando85

Fernando85 TDPRI Member

Vox Adio Air GT. I just bought one of these and I'm loving it.

While visually it looks like a granny's purse... it's not something that really matters to me.
    The important thing is that it sounds great, it's lightweight and it has a LOT of volume, bluetooth connection to play music and be able to jam along. Battery option.

You can control the presets with the smartphone app.
    USB connection to record directly and without latency.

[​IMG]

20. grim83

grim83 Tele-Holic

Honestly i cant figure out why in 2019 every digital piece of kit doesnt have bluetooth capabilities and an accompanying app.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.