Popular Names

Chester P Squier

Friend of Leo's
Always an interesting topic in our marriage. My wife's name is Isolde. After still angry with her deceased parents' name for her, she's not happy that our twins' names got popular since they were born. At the core, she doesn't like to stand out but, has had the name and good looks that have given her unwanted attention.
Hey, one of my favorite German composters is Ree-kard Vogg-ner. He composed some great stuff, including Tristan and Isolde.

At least they didn't name her Brunnhilde. Or however you spell it.

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
Hey, one of my favorite German composters is Ree-kard Vogg-ner. He composed some great stuff, including Tristan and Isolde.

At least they didn't name her Brunnhilde. Or however you spell it.
Yes. When someone does recognize or know her name it's usually a measure of having some world, arts, culture or history awareness. I happen to like her name. She was blessed with above average abilities and looks so I think an interesting name is fitting.

Toto'sDad

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
Hello, my name is Karen, and I'm here to help you. I'd also like you to meet my assistant Cynthia.

Kandinskyesque

Tele-Afflicted
Half of my double barrelled name is still in the top 20.

My mother would always pronounce it strangely though.
She always addressed me "Jesus-Mary-and-Joseph!"

Lou Tencodpees

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I see "Lawrence" at #578(and #866). Not sure if Laurence is any cooler, but both transcribe into Larry and Larry is always the dumb white guy in commercials or the object of vulgarian Susie Greene's (Curb Your Enthusiasm) disdain.

-sincerely, Larry

imwjl

Doctor of Teleocity
My brother, two cousins, and friends adopted 4 kids who were abandoned in war torn places between almost a year old and 5 years old. They have their given names or a name appropriate from where they come from.

Their names are not likely on these lists but I think they are beautiful and so are those kids in many ways. In addition to beautiful, these kids are 13 - 21 years old now and doing well. It's so fortunate those adoptive parents did that and the kids are doing well.

buster poser

Poster Extraordinaire
Making fun of trending/newly popular names has been a perennial game as long as I can remember, as ever, peppered with a lot of urban myth. My own name is important to me so I try to take seriously what people ask to be called or have named their children.

That said, I find it hilarious when trends follow pop culture, especially serial television. Seems to be tempting fate to have a beloved character take a heel turn and/or see the show flame out like a hundred supernovas. Obviously thinking about the many young girls named for Khaleesi/Daenerys (and probably many others) from Game of Thrones circa 2013-2019 or so.

nojazzhere

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The "What's In A Name?" thread got me thinking about how certain names go out of fashion. I just looked at the list of most popular names from 2021 and was pretty surprised at how low on the list the names of my generation have fallen. From my perspective, we had fairly common names that I imagined would be popular indefinitely. Nope. The current top 20 names include a few of us but many, many more are apparently uncool. Old guys, see where you fall in this excerpt from the list:

The Top 20:
1. Liam
2. Noah
3. Oliver
4. Elijah
5. James
6. William
7. Benjamin
8. Lucas
9. Henry
10. Theodore
11. Jack
12. Levi
13. Alexander
14. Jackson
15. Mateo
16. Daniel
17. Michael
18. Mason
19. Sebastian
20. Ethan

Where the usual names of the 50s and 60s now fall:
213. Eric
214. Patrick
215. Peter
216. Richard
217. Edward

257. Paul
258. Kenneth

486. Gregory

523. Phillip

529. Allen

535. Bruce

578. Lawrence

592. Donald

597. Keith

607. Scott

693. Dennis

698. Lee

739. Douglas

782. Wayne

804. Darren

836. Allan

896. Robin

900. Alfred

904. Gary

927. Carl

962. Harold

Gerald didn't make the top 1000 names list last year. Neither did Jerome. But Anakin is #644...
Where's the list of popular BOY'S names? The names you provided are what people are naming their DAUGHTERS these days. Seriously!!!!! ;)