Popular bands that are really bad live..especially the singer.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Cheap guitar guy, May 21, 2019.

1. Octorfunk

Octorfunk Tele-Meister

I guess if I agreed with his politics I might not feel the same way, to be honest. But even then, most of our recent national elections have been right around a 50/50 split, give or take, so anytime you start trashing the winner/loser of that election, you're most likely trashing someone that 50% of your audience voted for. To me that's just bad form, no matter what the topic is (it just so happened to be politics at this particular show).

I think the same thing when I see a bumper sticker bashing a political candidate. Chances are half the people who see it are going to be people who voted for that person, so what's the point in needlessly offending random people?

I think what bothers me the most is that musicians somehow think that we came to their show to do anything but be entertained. Maybe that sounds bad, but just because your music is popular does not make you a philosopher with good ideas. If I went to see a comedian perform and he kept interrupting his routine to sing original songs (that were terrible), would I be out of line to think that he should stick to the premise under which he sold me my ticket?

If I went to an NBA game and they stopped play every 5 minutes to have the players paint pictures and do improv comedy, would it be crazy for me to think that they should stick to basketball? I don't think so.

That's just my $0.02, to each his own.

2. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I saw Sir Ivan on the Sunday, first weekend of Jazz Fest of New Orleans 2019 and I was terrified, but for no reason. The show was long, he was animated, he played saxophone, keyboards, guitar and harmonica very well and sang with great enthusiasm and to great effect and the setlist was amazingly varied and imaginative. He looked extremely fit... I was pleased to death. He hit every note strong, enunciated beautifully and was in contact with the audience the whole way.

Look. He doesn't banter with the audience like Neil Finn does or Richard Thompson does but for those more than 5 rows back, does this even matter since you wouldn't be able to follow?

The only complaint you could concoct was, on the last song he left the stage at the appointed time and the band continued to play for another 10-15 minutes, but this may very well have been the longest show I have EVER seen at Jazz Fest, and I've been going since the 1970s.

+

Oh. Some of the other performers (Bonnie, Irma, Jon Cleary, Boz Scaggs) made guest appearances during other people's shows and best I know, Van didn't. That's not his gig anyway and never has been.

+

Guys, you know the rules about Politics. Let's just don't, please.

brookdalebill and Skub like this.
  3. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Favourite band: The Turtles.

brookdalebill and DonM like this.
  4. boris bubbanov

I'd love for the posters to disclose the forum where the show was held. It has been maybe 8 years now, but I saw Dylan (again, at Jazz Fest) and his singing was great (or as good as he's ever; meaning all he's got). Yes I admit my expectations were tempered by not only was Dylan engaged with the crowd, but he sang well and played guitar better than I thought he could.

Knowing you are in the home of Allen Toussaint and Dave Bartholomew and Louis Armstrong and Danny Barker (etc.) may cause people to up their game. I've experienced this pattern over and over - band or artist not so good when seen in the Previous or Subsequent show city. No matter how tired you are, unless you're Jerry Garcia you just respect the place so much.

StrangerNY and nvilletele like this.
  5. boris bubbanov

I saw Flo and Eddie in the 1980s and I was delighted. One of those "oldies revival" tours with Peter Noone and others.

+

Mark and Howard were basically prisoners to a contract that gave them no control over the goings on of the band. They barely soldiered through it, but it would be hard to blame them. J.C. Fogarty was screwed for a long time under similar circumstances.

6. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Afflicted

Fair enough. It was the Tower Theater in Philadelphia...let's say 1987, but I could be off by a year. The band was great...maybe the best backing band I've seen. G.E. Smith was playing guitar. The lead singing (I don't even know if I can call it singing) was horrible. The show would have been better if Dylan had just left the stage altogether and let anybody in the band sing the songs.

7. soul-o

soul-o Friend of Leo's

On the Dylan front, he is a legendarily mercurial live performer. He almost never plays guitar on stage anymore and he almost never speaks to the audience at all. I actually have been pretty impressed by a few of his recent albums where he uses the limitations of his voice in a character way- like a Tom Waits thing, and I'm a big fan of his songwriting all the way through, but I'm not paying living legend money on the off-chance that we get a good show. I saw him in the 90ps for $30 and it was a bit of a rip off at that price. And I swear, I am a Dylan fan.

po-boy and Junkyard Dog like this.
  8. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Holic

This one was not bad though live, but admitted the vocals is abit of an acquired taste.

Les H and stinkey like this.
  9. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

We saw Brian Wilson last year, touring Pet Sounds.
    The band were spectacularly good players and singers, and Al Jardine still sings well: but Brian Wilson is like a zombie. He didn’t appear to move except for slightly rocking sideways and his singing was a tuneless mumbling. He was propped behind a piano but I’ve no idea if he ever touched the keys.
    You had to feel sorry for the poor old guy. He is clearly very damaged. I just hope he appreciates the love that people have for those songs, and that he isn’t just being dragged round the world to sell tickets to pad someone else’s bank account.

Hatfield92 likes this.
  10. ftbtx

ftbtx Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I have to agree with GnR, Axle is not good live, except for one song the night I saw them (Civil War(, the rest was rubbish.
    My other two would be Ozzy in the early 2000s and the other was Panterra, they were just too damn drunk.

11. boris bubbanov

I guess I'm sounding like a broken record, but Wilson had gas in the tank when he played Jazz Fest maybe 7-8 years ago. This was before the dumb Reunion at the White House and was before Brian hooked back up with Jardine, and he was kindly freshly returned to the cross country venue hopping things, but he brought some and I was grateful to have been there.

I think it may be unrealistic to expect the oldest of the 60s stardom guys to still have a Killing attitude and demeanor in 2019. If I had to fly to Scotland and etc., I would need someone to tie my shoes for the first three weeks I was there. I guess that was why I was so shocked when Van Morrison went out there and knocked it out of the park.

12. Bob M

Bob M Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

I'm surprised no one mentioned the Stones? I've seen them 3 times from '73 to '87. They were terrible. Mick was in especially bad form.

68tele likes this.
  13. 6String69

6String69 Tele-Meister

Oh ok. He laid down on the stage and didn’t move about halfway through the set. The band ruled. I know he used to be amazing but I was let down.

14. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Regardless of any of that, you have to know the way the vast majority of entertainers feel and believe. So if it comes out sometimes - it’s not like it’s a big surprise to you.

StrangerNY likes this.
  15. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Stones have been really great their last couple tours . Watch Ole! On Netflix and if you think they still suck - then so be it.

‘87 ? I think that was the first outing after they spent 10 years hating each other.

Skully likes this.
  16. bloomz

bloomz Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Dream Theater - I actually left about halfway thru

17. Moriarty

Moriarty Tele-Meister

One more vote for Axl. I saw Guns on their joint tour with Metallica. The band was on, but he was awful. And we had to wait 2 months for him to be awful, because of the Montreal incident. Then we had to wait for 3 HOURS after Metallica left the stage, only for him to stink up the stadium.

18. po-boy

po-boy Tele-Holic

i saw Dylan at the Sanger Theater in Mobile, Al and believe it was November 2016 - my son is a huge Dylan fan and has seen him a few times - he warned me that

when Dylan was 'on' he was really good, but when he was 'off' he was awful - we got the 'off' version of Dylan that night - he never touched a guitar, he never spoke

to the audience and his singing was mostly a mumbling and muttering attempt to cover jazz standards - even the few actual Dylan songs he performed sounded terrible -

he spent large portions of the evening just striking poses with the microphone stand while the band played behind him - then again, while he was doing his poses with

the microphone stand, he wasn't singing so we got to hear his backup band and they were really good - i did not pay superstar rock legend dollars to see a wannabe

jazz crooner butcher Sinatra songs and pose with the microphone stand for most of the evening - i am glad that NOLA inspired his Jazz Fest performance, but his performance

in Mobile was one of the most uninspired i have ever seen -

19. Marc Morfei

Marc Morfei Tele-Afflicted

At least back then he looked like an actual earthling.

Moriarty likes this.
  20. brianswindall

brianswindall Tele-Afflicted

Another vote for Red Hot Chili Peppers. I didn't know that you could get a job as a singer if you are tone-deaf...I learned something that day.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.