1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Pop the top off!

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by shtuck, Sep 6, 2020.

1. shtuck

shtuck TDPRI Member

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone knows how difficult it might be to steam off or otherwise separate the maple cap from the body of one of the semi hollow les paul kits so that I might route out more of the interior to make it nearly fully hollow?
    Ala this picture

[​IMG]

https://pin.it/4Fh4PhG

Thanks!

2. shtuck

shtuck TDPRI Member

c730d4623bec1a74e3e580c77ac8ffb0.jpg

3. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

That's already about as hollow as you're going to want it. As for "steaming" did you build it? What kind of glue was used?

4. shtuck

shtuck TDPRI Member

Sorry, the pic represents what I would like to achieve by modifying a cheap semi hollow kit that already has the top attached. I would need to remove the top in order to route out the center channel.

5. wabashslim

wabashslim Friend of Leo's

Just buy the pictured kit.

6. shtuck

shtuck TDPRI Member

I believe the picture is someone's custom hand made build. All the kits I've seen have the bodies already glued up with the f holes and have a center block like 335's. So only hollow on the wings, solid in the center.

7. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

It is probably glued with AR, that is the most common wood working glue and it will separate with dry heat somthing a bit less than 400F. I have used a silicon heating blanket that I bend sides for an acoustic to remove fretboards and bridges glued with AR. On the off chance it is some other glue then you are on your own.

I chamber my les paul clones and it does make a big difference in weight. We can also detect a small difference in sound when you compare side by side with a solid LP that has the same pups. This is the level that I chamber to - I want to leave some material at the pickups and lots of room for a long tenon

IMG_1947.JPG

Edit to add, there is a rumor that some of those cheap LP clone kits really just have a maple veneer. Maker sure yours really has a full thickness cap

drmordo likes this.
  8. shtuck

shtuck TDPRI Member

Thanks Freeman, very helpful! I've seen where they are using a lower grade solid maple cap and then sticking a more figured veneer on top.o_O I'm ok with that, just not veneer on plywood or mahogany . :eek: I'm gonna do my best to avoid that. Thanks again!

9. Zepfan

Zepfan Doctor of Teleocity Gold Supporter

My avatar guitar is a hollow body and they do sound great(to me anyway), but they can have a lot of issues with construction. The neck joints can develop cracks/breaks with the neck joint block or sides/top/bottom at the seams. Sometimes they start to cave in at the bridge area or the neck area too.

Other problems are the feedback and RF noises that plague hollow body guitars more than the semi-hollow body guitars.

The pic that Freeman Keller shows is really the best of both type guitars, a compromise between the two that gets you great stability along with the best sound and sustain. Feedback and RF noises are almost non existent with this type of build.

10. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Stick it in the trunk of your car on a hot day?

11. posttoastie

posttoastie Tele-Afflicted

Put some termites in the body and let them hollow it out. Sorry had to.

12. shtuck

shtuck TDPRI Member

Thats a good idea! I was trying to figure out how to heat it up.

13. papa32203

papa32203 Tele-Afflicted

That's about 10 minutes here in Phoenix. It has been over 110 degrees so many days this summer- miserable....

14. cometazzi

cometazzi Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I used to live in Phoenix, and I remember the oppressive heat. However, at least it's (usually) not humid. Here sometimes it'll be in the mid-80s to 90s, but with 88% humidity. Think of Monsoon Season for 3 months straight, a little less flooding, and way way way more mosquitoes.

That said, it's going to be in the mid 50s here this week, and I want it to be warmer.

15. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Holic

An Epi les paul ultra is built that way. It is a good sound, way lighter. I found a used one for 200 bucks.

16. shtuck

shtuck TDPRI Member

I didnt know that! I just found this pic online. I might be interested. Gotta try one out sometime.

LpUltraChamber.jpg

17. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Man, that scares the crap outa me seeing just three and a bit frets worth holding that neck in! :eek:

Guess that’s why I haven’t tried building a set neck yet. :p

18. Freeman Keller

Freeman Keller Poster Extraordinaire

^^^ That short tenon would scare the heck out of me.

My understanding is that the "weight relieved" lesters have a bunch of holes drilled in the body to reduce their weight - I don't know if they actually route it out or not. I guess I'm not sure of the logic in the routing above, but it really doesn't matter. The one in the picture above is 1 pound 9 oz lighter than my other LP that has a conventional solid body. The difference is dramatic when you play them. I did do a build thread on the chambered one if you have any interest

Also, here is the silicon blanket being used to remove a fretboard from a neck while under construction - little missunderstanding about the inlays. A fairly clean separation at the seam

IMG_5062.JPG

IMG_5063.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.