Poor mans Tele?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by libirm, Dec 11, 2008.

1. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

Basswood is really a pretty sweet tonewood.

2. libirm

libirm TDPRI Member

3. libirm

libirm TDPRI Member

My Taye drum set is bass wood..it is very good looking!

4. robt57

robt57 Telefied Ad Free Member

It is soft alright. But think about it. It will naturally relic faster. So instead of a faux look of a copy of a worn git, it will wear all the same ways as real one you can get that is 40+ years old.

One way to look at it.

So I would agree, it may be difficult to pick a piece of pine that would be as dent resistant as hard ash or alder certainly. So if little dents and wear will bother you while you polish up you guitar, maybe not for you. But I have a basswood body that is no softer.

5. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Its funny how we look at it today. I mean I totally agree, and I like pine bodied guitars. But I bet people were p@ssed back in the 50s when their precious new electric guitar kept getting all scratched up.Werent they the equivalent of a month or two of pay back then?

6. Bandit

Bandit Tele-Meister

"I am wanting a Tele in the worst way.
    Looked @ the pros/cons for MIM or American.
    Would love to have a American but can't right now.
    Would like to Buy a MIM but I would mod it any how.
    I think below may be a good compromise.
    Any thoughts on this Tele? Experience?"

I own a great MIM Deluxe (Nashville Tele). $750.00

I owned a MIM Squier tele for 15 years and loved it. It cost $350.00 in 1993.

I was happy with the Squier for years then I got a Deluxe Nash and took it to a local Jam night and two of the three people who played it went out and bought new guitars. One guy bought a 52 reissue and put a third pickup in it. If you live to play guitar spend the extra and get a corvette. Don't be happy with a Import with a big 4 cylinder.

The biggest difference between the Squier MIM, Deluxe Nash MIM and the
    Nash B-bender (American) is mainly the pickups, the sound.

I've played all three live at volume and I liked the B-bender best. The difference between the Nash MIM and the Nash B-bender AMERICAN is the sound. There is a weight difference too.

Find a Tele that SOUNDS GOOD. They all sound different, and weigh different.

Thanks. After reading this I've just dicided to order a B-bender Tele this saturday. I was thinking about changing the bridge pieces on my Tele. But I don't want to alter it, they are worth more if they are left stock. Better not say that last part to loud on here.

7. mickg

mickg Tele-Meister

I think you should pay no attention to where the guitar is made if your budget doesn't allow for such extravagance. Just go into the store and play the guitars. Be sure to compare one MIM with the next because they all have their own character and nuances. Then choose the best one you can afford (and that will be some sort of TELE of course). Don't forget to try the second handers as well as some great bargains can be picked up. Buy the one you love, and if you don't love any of them, just hang out unbtil you find the right one. Then enjoy. cheers....Mick

8. mrplavick

mrplavick TDPRI Member

A used USA Peavey Reactor with a Seymour Duncan Broadcaster bridge & Vintage rhythm neck pickup combo is very nice and affordable rig.

9. libirm

libirm TDPRI Member

thanks Bandit and you as well mickg
    Good Advice
    Your spot on,

10. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Ad Free Member

I couldn't agree more! I've played a lot of guitars, and have observed really surprising differences between two guitars of the same model and price. It really pays to play them all and pick the one that just plain speaks to you...

Tim

11. frankthomson

frankthomson Tele-Afflicted

especially today, you can get a MIM for $200 on C/L

12. Arlo

Arlo Friend of Leo's

Pine is a soft wood and it is sappy and Warmoth has some validity to their opinion. However it is more of an executive decision than an expert opinion.

Warmoth sells body's and they are not in the business of taking them back if a customer has an issue with softness or pitch bleeding through the finish. They try and avoid returns and who wouldn't if they were in the business? That said think of the ramifications or risk of selling a Pine body.

1. Pine needs to be dried and the pitch MUST be crystallized or you will have problems down the road. It is porous and usually the finish will sink in the grain. I suppose hardener, filler and all would help but will it change the property of the wood? Ron Kirn would be the guy to ask this about.

2. Pine wood is soft if you are using commonly found species like Eastern Pine. But not when you use rare species like Digger Pine for instance. It is hard as any ash or other type body. I have some Southern Yellow Pine that is very hard as well.

3. The availability of large Pine planks that are cured and crystallized is no where near as prevalent as ash or other woods so if Warmoth were to mass produce it and offer it for sale might not be in there best interest.

Warmoth is of the opinion that It is not a recommended body wood from our standpoint.. I hardly would consider Warmoth as the final say in any matter concerning Pine based on the fact you won't find a Warmoth Pine body. They obviously have an opinion based on something they don't offer so it would not be an expert opinion. It is a decision only based on an UN qualified opinion.

Don't confuse this with Warmoth not being qualified body or neck builders because they are indeed. Warmoth is some of the best out there. I use their necks and a few of their body's on some of my builds. They are outstanding. Could they make a Pine body and sell it? Hell yes.

Just cause a carpenter has never built a house from stripped tree saplings and covered it with buffalo hide doesn't mean it it cant be effectively and efficiently done. Ask a native American.

I would think that there are MANY people who would agree with Warmoth.

There are equally as MANY people who would not agree at all if the opinion is based on sound quality.

I think there decision is more about the look and the workability of the species. Kind of interesting since they work with so many varieties of wood. It almost seems comical that they won't even consider it?? Fender has with there various Pine offerings.

I have never asked them the question about Pine cause I knew they would have an opinion that might sound condescending in some way. Go figure. :lol:

Spruce is used in a lot of guitars and is a fairly soft wood. But there are not many acoustic builders who would brush it off so quickly in fact quite the opposite. Warmoth doesn't offer a Spruce body either. That hardly makes it the final word in guitar building it is simply there decision and opinion nothing more.

Spruce is one of the most elastic woods there is and it propagates sound waves very well. Compare it to Pine and you get similar results it is a VERY tone friendly wood.

13. libirm

libirm TDPRI Member

14. twangcaster1

twangcaster1 Friend of Leo's

A guitar can be built out of ANY kind of wood you decide you think would be cool, and it doesn't matter what anybody else thinks. Tone is in the ears. That's the beauty of it.

15. Chucksolo69

Chucksolo69 TDPRI Member

I also think you should go for an MIM Fender Telecaster. Heck, I know that you can get a Rondo, Hondo, Blojo, whatever cheap as hell copy for about a C note, but it really ain't the same is it? I would much rather save my money and get a "real" Fender than have to settle for a poser. I know there are those out there who don't consider MIM Fenders "real" Fenders, but I think that is ridiculous since the factories are only a couple of hundred miles apart. Yet, some of those that say that will buy and Epiphone Les Paul; go figure. Really, an MIM Tele isn't that much money. I got mine for $371.00 out the door at Guitar Center and I couldn't be happier. I just played as many as I could, and that includes Squiers and MIA Teles. The MIM I played just sounded right and the action was perfect for me.

16. libirm

libirm TDPRI Member

that is what it is all about after all:!:

17. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

libirm:

I have a couple of SX Teles and they are really decent......also an Agile LP copy that's the equal to my real one. My experience with Rondo Music products and service has been excellent.

I sense that you would really like to have a Fender.....if so, that's what I'd do - you would probably be happier with it over time. I have a MIM Standard that's great and I had one that wasn't as good. As others have said, MIM quality has made great strides recently, but like all guiters, individual examples vary, so trying a few is good if you can.

Have to make one other comment, though...............I, too have a Classic Vibe Squier and it gets the most play of all of mine, including a couple that cost 3 to 4 times as much. A terrific Tele by any standard IMO.........completely changed my thinking about the name "Squier" on the headstock (it does say Fender, too).

Jim

18. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity

+1
    after a toothbrush, the next step is a Squier Classic Vibe! :lol:

my other Teles look so sad, they don't get played anymore.

19. libirm

libirm TDPRI Member

OK OK Uncle..I give in
    I will play SCV before I make any buying decision ..
    I have to see what all you guys are talking about...
    This reminds me I went to see Beatlemania in my local town..The Guy played among other guitars...a Squire Strat!!!:D

20. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

you got to play them...I have a MIM std from'04 and it sounds great, ((especially after changing out the bridge(fender vintage plate with the 3 compensated brass saddles, brought the bridge pup to life) and getting a minihumbucker in the neck)) but this was one of about 6 I tried(unplugged), and IMO was miles ahead of the others I tried...no matter what price range you are working with, you gotta try em out..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.