1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Polytune 2 vs. Polytune Mini vs. TU-3

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by RustleFuzz, Nov 30, 2013.

1. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

I'm putting together a second pedalboard for quick travel, small gigs and jams. I have been using pedals I already have in my collection...ones that didn't make the cut on my main board (which currently has a Boss TU-2 that I've had for years...still working great)!

I do own a Fender PT-100, which I have temporarily employed...but after a couple of weeks of use, I think it may be the weakest link. Feels cheap, have to stomp it a couple times to turn on/off, and produces a low tone when in tuning mode (especially noticeable if a dirt pedal is on). Not sure if it is true bypass...buffered, etc. Just know its the first pedal in my chain that my signal hits. All that aside...it DOES work, so I could roll with it for awhile if I need to.

With $100 budget: Polytune 2, Polytune Mini or Boss TU-3???

Having experience w the Boss TU-2...the TU-3 seems logical. But seeing an awful lot of Polytune's on boards in general lately...and dig the idea of the poly mode...

Any insight? Does the Polytune Mini work as well as the full sized Polytune 2?

BTW the pedalboard is powered by a One-Spot.

Thanks for all of your help/advice in advance!

2. Paul G.

Paul G. Friend of Leo's

How many pedals? How much cable are you using before and after the board? Are all your pedals True Bypass?

The Boss may be a good choice as it has a decent buffer in it. If you don't need the buffer, I'm seeing lots of Polytunes around these days.

P.

3. jackal

jackal Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

TU-3 is hard to beat. Tried one of the Polytunes, and it didn't agree between the all 6 at once tuning and one at a time. I can only turn one key at a time, so dumped the Polytune.

4. Kestrel

Kestrel Tele-Afflicted

On the planet where the alphabet starts with "Z"
    TC Electronic's Polytunes don't have the build quality that Boss has. I've gone through a Polytune and a mini-Polytune. Both broke in less than a year. Got a Boss TU-3 and haven't looked back.

5. krisls

krisls Tele-Holic

I have the Poly mini on my acoustic board. Very neat and compact and great to use. Excellent visibility and no problems with 'toughness' at all, but I'm not a heavy stomper. Also if you want to tune one string, pluck one string, don't strum the lot, but the strum is good if one is out slightly.

Plus I have the 'noir' so extra cool factor, hah.

Kristina

6. vonasemj

vonasemj Tele-Meister

Had a TU-3, but I dumped it for a Polytune2. For me the Boss killed the tone with a few of my pedals, which caused me to add another pedal to my board to put the tuner in a different loop. I can't really comment on the durability of the polytune yet, but I've had great luck with the other two TC pedals I've had for a couple years. I do have to say that I think the polytune is nice for doing a quick check of all the strings at once, but I don't tune with the polytune feature. As soon as you pick a single string the tuner switches to being chromatic, and it works very accurately for me.

7. waparker4

waparker4 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Boss won't kill tone unless you already have ten buffered pedals or you put it in front of a fuzz face IME

8. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

Currently the board is as follows: Fender PT-100 Tuner, Dunlop Crybaby 535 Wah, Visual Sound Oil Can Phaser, Visual Sound Jekyll & Hyde Distortion (older grey version), Ibanez DL-10 Digital Delay (older...from late 80's/early 90's if I remember lol). All powered by Visual Sound One Spot.

I use a 18' Rapco cable from guitar to board, and the same to amp (Fender Custom Vibrolux Reverb with Moyer Mods making it essentially a '63 Vibroverb Reissue).

Paul G...does this help? Everything on the board seems solid except for the tuner.

PS- I bought the Fender PT-100 for gigs in Tulum Mexico last year. Wanted to only take things I could live without if the Federales took them (or our own US Customs), or worse. Used it for the shows, worked fine, seems disposable though.

Thanks for the input!

9. Kestrel

Kestrel Tele-Afflicted

On the planet where the alphabet starts with "Z"
    This.

10. jimash

jimash Friend of Leo's

I would say that the TU-3 will be tuning you up long after the Polytune hits the landfill.
    I got a TU-1000 because I am nuts and it was only $50.00 new.
    Wow it is obscene but works great ! ( Same tech as the Tu-3 )

11. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

I've never had a Boss pedal fail...

12. SixShooter

SixShooter Friend of Leo's

This really surprises me.

13. MCgardyloo

MCgardyloo Tele-Meister

I never knew of the TU-1000.... google image searching to see how big it is doesn't really help, haha. I almost want that just to throw my bandmates off when they figure out it's just a tuner.

...edited to add: I use a TU-2, bandmate uses the polytune, they both work fine and neither one of us are particularly careful about our gear. I am sometimes jealous of the capability to strum once and see if you're in tune, but in the end it's not a big deal at all. I buy just about everything used if possible, so if it were me I'd probably just look for either pedal on the used market and get whatever's the best deal.

14. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

I concur about buying used...check it out, save the cash, buy more gear!

15. vonasemj

vonasemj Tele-Meister

The TU-3 really messed with my Keeley modded TS9. At the time I only had two other buffered pedals in my chain, so the above comment certainly isn't true. I really like the idea of having a good buffer in my tuner, but for me the TU-3 did not have a good enough buffer for my chain. I would still take the polytune over the boss if I had to make the decision again. I'd rather have an separate box for a buffer like a T1M than the buffer in the Boss. Just my experience. You could have a different experience depending on the pedals you have.

16. DakotaRed

DakotaRed Tele-Meister

Sonic Research ST-200. It's a strobe tuner in stompbox format. You'll be amazed how much better your guitar sounds when it's really in tune.

Fair warning: once you start using one, and you can never go back to Boss or similar; the accuracy just isn't there.

17. imwjl

imwjl Poster Extraordinaire

I returned the mini for full-sized model to get the feature of battery powered on its own or it power another pedal.

That has worked out great for simple playing and taking minimal gear with if I go jam. Having had both and not needing board space, I also like the larger display.

18. KokoTele

KokoTele Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

I've been curious about the TU-3, but don't really need another tuner pedal.

I really wanted the Polytune to be the bee's knees, but it just doesn't lock in to a note as quickly as the TU-2 does and the process takes longer. And like jackal said, I can only tune one at a time, so the main feature of the Polytune doesn't help much.

Strobe tuners are too accurate and sensitive for stage use in a pedal format. Almost everyone I've seen using one spends far more time tuning on stage than is appropriate. I have one on my bench for when it's appropriate.

19. RustleFuzz

RustleFuzz Tele-Meister

This afternoon I am going to borrow the TU-2 I have on my main board and try it with the travel board to see how it sounds in comparison to the Fender PT-100. Duh, should have thought of this sooner! I'll let y'all know what I find out.

20. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

I used a TU-2 for many years. My first TU-2 was stolen so I bought another one. Next I bought a TU-3 because the display is easier to see out doors in the daytime. A friend has the TU-2 now and it still works with no problems. If my TU-3 was stolen I would buy another one.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.