1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Polyester is for the 70's...A MIM Tele Refinish

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by Southpaw Tele, Jun 27, 2011.

1. Southpaw Tele

Southpaw Tele Friend of Leo's

Again, note the huge difference in color between the sides and back. This also looks to be about a 78 piece body, but I've been known to exaggerate.

2. collectiveoasis

collectiveoasis Tele-Meister

Cool to see that stuff coming off the way it did. Thanks for showing, I'll be watching the rest of the way.

3. AdamCaudle

AdamCaudle TDPRI Member

This is the perfect thread for me. I'm planning on refinishing my '06 MIM tele in a very similar way. Thanks and keep us updated.

4. Old Cane

Old Cane Poster Extraordinaire

When you feel down and blue, remember; 78 pieces is better than a billion pieces pressed together.

5. Southpaw Tele

You're right, I need to look at the bright side when buying a Fender. ;)

Okay, so I had primer on it yesterday, got the runs (the guitar, not me) and tried to fix with lacquer thinner. It's so-so looking. I forgot to snap pics of that and did the color coat. I'm realizing now I needed to probably do some filler work (the bazillion seams Fender used and a knot...yes, a small knot in the alder...are showing through on the color coat). Here are some pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    On the front side, you should be able to pick out the screwed up areas. The pick guard will cover one of them. I can go back a few layers or leave it and just play the guitar, letting it wear over time. I still need to do the clear coats. Shepherd convinced me not to use the Duplicolor clear, so I bought some Deft glossy.

6. Southpaw Tele

I should add that there are numerous small dings I thought the sanding sealer coats + filler primer would handle. Again, I don't mind it being lightly reliced; my main goal was to lose the polyester and get some experience. I'll never buy a Fender made body again. I feel like I got ripped off, considering how much cheaper a nice two or 3 piece body can be had on Fleabay.

7. Southpaw Tele

The light relic job begins. I'm leery of reliving a neck, so the body will not be overboard. My neck has dings in it anyhoo.

Attached Files:

8. Southpaw Tele

*relicing

9. Southpaw Tele

I began applying the nitro clear coats on 3 days ago. I took a break on Saturday and Sunday and will go out this morning to add on some more (going to be 107 here today!) I need to add I got a couple of small (less than 0.5 mm in diameter) bubbles on the upper "horn" of the body and decided to pick at 'em as part of the "relic". I went too thick on the nitro over the acrylic, me thinks.

10. Southpaw Tele

Okay, change in direction for this refinish. I had to strip back to the wood...way too many mistakes and I'm realizing the relic thing won't work if I'm not willing to relic the neck (which I'm not ready to do). I've decided to go with my take on what a MIM "modern" Esquire might look like if Fender ever mass produced them. Here's a virtual image of what I'll be doing:
    ModernEsquire.jpg
    I just put the first coat of sanding sealer. Here's the plan:
    1.) 2 coats of sanding sealer
    2.) fill in dings and remaining alder grain with automotive glazing paste/putty
    3.) more sanding sealer
    4.) scratch fill in primer (Duplicolor) - 2 coats
    5.) 2 coats of Duplicolor light blue metallic (a "sort of" Lake Placid Blue)
    6.) Multiple coats of Duplicolor clear acrylic (yes, it'll take awhile to cure properly)
    7.) Wet sand from 600 - 2000
    8.) Rubbing compound
    9.) Swirl remover

Let me know if my order is wrong or if I'm missing something. Conversely, let me know if I'm going overboard. Thanks in advance gang. :D

11. Shepherd

Shepherd Friend of Leo's

12. Southpaw Tele

13. Southpaw Tele

Okay, decided to go with an automotive glazing putty to fill in the dings and grain and it worked surprisingly well (when mixed with a little lacquer thinner). It leaves a pinkish residue in the grain when sanded with 320 dry. A very cheap alternative to wood grain filler and seems to do okay with sanding sealer under it. Me happy enough to talk like 2 year old when type.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Southpaw Tele

I put the color coats (2.5 coats) and the nitro clear coats (10 coats). I am patiently waiting for the clear to cure, occasionally shoving my finger nail into it to see if it's done yet.

15. Southpaw Tele

[​IMG]

And here's a shot of it post nitro coats.

Ignore my mess. We just moved and I'm still unpacking and organizing. :oops:

16. spook69

spook69 Tele-Holic

Lot of work!

Interesting project, thanks for posting.

17. Cajun1

Cajun1 Tele-Holic

Well Southpaw, you inspired me to try my own refin on my Nashville tele. Tonight I followed your lead and stripped all the poly off with the heat gun and putty knife. Took me a total of about 20 mins to strip the entire body. I'm planning on going to a blue color as well. I'll be watching to see how yours turns out.

18. Southpaw Tele

Cajun, we need pics! I'd like to see how more of the TDPRIers have been faring with polyester removal. What color was your Nashville originally? I wanted to go Sonic Blue, but could not find a Duplicolor equivalent, so I went more Lake Placid-like on the color. Please show us how it's going!

Thanks also to Spook69; I appreciate the kind words.

19. Cajun1

Cajun1 Tele-Holic

Unfortunately, the camera is down right now. I'll try to maybe get some crappy cell phone pics up. It was originally the amber color. I used your method of the heat gun and putty knife and the finish came right off with very little effort. Thanks for that tip! Yours is looking good. I haven't completely settled on the blue yet but really leaning that way.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.