Poly undercoat

Discussion in 'Finely Finished' started by brandonwhite, Mar 6, 2020.

1. brandonwhite

brandonwhite Tele-Meister

I sprayed a maple neck with 3 coats of polyurethane (Deft "Defthane" gloss).
    Each coat got 24 hours to dry and a scuff sand before the next coat.
    I've been spraying coats of nitro over the poly, and I'm smelling poly through the nitro after drying overnight.
    It was my understanding that the poly should be totally dry already. Why the strong poly smell?
    Any experience with this?

Edit: The poly didn't smell after it dried. It's only after spraying the nitro that I can smell the poly again. It doesn't smell like nitro. It's definitely the poly smell.

2. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Any reason your spraying nitro over poly?

That said, while poly may be "dried" for use or recoat after 24 hours, being a solvent finish it will continue to dry for much longer. The odor you are smelling is likely the solvent in the lacquer softening and bleeding into the fresh poly.

Eric

brandonwhite and rolandson like this.
  3. brandonwhite

I like the durability of poly, but the look and feel of nitro.
    I had heard the old Fenders have a poly-like undercoat. Thought I'd give it a whirl.

What you're saying makes sense though.
    I just hope it all dries out okay over time. Like the nitro isn't having a bad interaction with the poly or something..

It feels okay to the touch. I just thought it was weird that the poly smell was coming through the nitro.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2020
  4. rolandson

rolandson Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Ahhh....why the poly undercoat?

5. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire

Are you thinking of the Fullerplast?

Nitro over poly seems counter productive to me.

6. TelenTubes

TelenTubes Tele-Holic

I see all the relic guitars and have a few guitars with chips in the finish. I suppose poly never quite gets "road worn" like nitro.

I don't have the worn, smoothed out missing finish spots on my guitars. Where my arm hits the upper bout, the finish is still pristine.
    Likewise, I have a 1990-ish Korean Squire strat that I've used and abused and I thought the neck was getting worn. Turns out it was just dirt and oil and it all washed right off. Not much finish missing at all.

brandonwhite likes this.
  7. brandonwhite

Yeah, Fullerplast and/or Homoclad.

I actually was inspired to try this because Starr Guitars does a nitro over polyester finish that they swear by. You get the look and feel of nitro, but the solid "bedrock" of a harder finish underneath.

I'm obviously not using polyester, but I figured polyurethane is similar enough. Maybe not though..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.