1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Poly or Nitro on my 62RI CIJ Tele neck? Sands off VERY easy

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by NeverStock, Jan 22, 2009.

1. NeverStock

NeverStock TDPRI Member

I'm working on my first parts-o-caster, and I snagged a 2002 CIJ 62RI off eBay for cheap. Looked like a slick poly finish and I understand all Fenders since the 60s are encased in poly, so I went to rough up the finish a bit with 60 grit sandpaper, to take the shine off a bit. The finish came off FAST. I backed off quickly to 600 grit and then just stopped. It dulled up and started to feel matte very very fast. I also noticed that 600 grit took the finish off the neck heel completely very quickly when I was trying to remove what appeared to be a glue remnant - everything just came right off to bare wood in a few swipes. Everything I read had suggested that I'd be looking at some serious sanding. So I take it this is nitro? Thanks!

2. NeverStock

NeverStock TDPRI Member

Hmmm...is this a question that can't be answered from the info I provided?

3. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

If its Japanese, its poly, and 60 grit sandpaper will take the stink of a dead lizard. The real problem with sanding Poly comes when you are trying to strip a body whose finish is very thick. Sand paper will clog up about as quick as you can sand a few swipes, making it a very difficult task. Also, you can get that stuff off fairly easily, but in doing so, you also screw up the surface making refinishing correctly difficult.

Why are you putting a set of 65 tele tuners on a partscaster? I would sell those suckers to finance my build.
    Those bushing should be press fit, and believe me, they fit in there tight. I take a stiff leather belt, place it on both sides on the neck ( over the bushing and on the bottom of the neck) and press them in with a set of channel locks. However, if they are the wrong size bushings, dont do that. Split post Kluson shafts should be 11/32".

4. IggyT

IggyT Tele-Afflicted

Poly I suspect; I took a thin poly finish of a neck down to the bare wood in minutes with 100 grit. The body would be another story...I just wouldnt try...my hands would be sore!

5. castpolymer

castpolymer Poster Extraordinaire

That poor neck! What did it ever do to you? Just kidding. 60 grit is waaaaaay too much. Usually 180 or 220 is a good grit to go with to remove even a poly finish. Good luck!

6. NeverStock

NeverStock TDPRI Member

Thanks all. I ordered more proper grit sizes from Stew Mac, so I'll wait on that. The body I'm using is an MJT 3 3/4 lb swamp ash white blonde, finished in nitro. I'm trying to build a Pagey Tele - it's my first assembly/build, but I figure I'll use 65 tuners and 59 saddles at the least. Also using Callaham hardware and Mare pickups. I figure at the end if it sucks I'll know it will be me, not the parts.

I got the bushings to fit by sanding the holes lightly with 600 grit wrapped around a tuner post and then using every last ounce of strength I have to push them in with my hand on a rubber mallet head and the other steadying the immediate back side. I imagine that's as snug as can be. Pretty cool to listen to the body while sanding the holes and hearing everything so clearly - very neat to be evaluating a guitar at this stage of assembly. Thanks again, Mike

7. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Where did you acquire these 59 saddles and 65 tuners? Those would be pretty cool to just have laying around.

Beware, building is addictive.

Attached Files:

8. skibum1999

skibum1999 TDPRI Member

i'll be honest with ya. considering you're making a partscaster and not restoring an original, i would HIGHLY recommend that you sell the 65 tuners and 59 saddles, get some gotoh klusons and glendale twang saddles, and use the leftover money from the sales on some nice Don Mare pickups or Bill Lawrence Keystones and a solid professional setup. but, as always, ymmv

EDIT: i see you are in fact planning on using Mare pups. in that case, use the extra money for some fun toys, or, dare i say, put it in the bank :eek: :D

9. NeverStock

NeverStock TDPRI Member

Thank you for the thoughts guys. The 65 tuners are incomplete - the high E is broken - so they are not worth too much, and so I'm not giving up to much using them in this build. The 59 saddles and screws - a little less excusable - but the threaded steel saddles are so unique and they are vintage correct for a Page caster. Reason for doing this is that I don't see teles being built by Fender that replicate what Page had - top loader with string through option, light swamp ash body, rosewood board, threaded saddles...and I will be using the Mare Zep set anyway. I figure it should be close to what he had. I strung it up without pickups and the thing resonates violently when I strum. Taping any part of the guitar gives a nice sustaining ring on the "ear to the upper bout" test. The overall tone is a bit brighter than my Nocaster and my Rice - I assume due to those having hugely fat necks and brass saddles.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.