POLL: Which ONE build is the WINNER in your book

Discussion in '2009 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by TDPRI, Mar 15, 2009.

Which ONE Tele do you think should win the Challenge

1. Colt W. Knight -- Lowecaster

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. Mark-00255 -- Ketchup Caster

14 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Martyb1 -- CADocaster

36 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Guitarbuilder -- Tidycatster

10 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Martino -- Alder Body Blank

27 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Big Mike Simpson -- Palletcaster

19 vote(s)
    8.6%
  7. Irishmail -- Spa-caster

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. Maricopa -- Lumbercaster

11 vote(s)
    5.0%
  9. Scatter Lee -- Scattesquire

100 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

I can't say which one is best. I look at some of them for a few pages and I am slack jawed.

Disgusting!

I am depressed now, I'll go lay down. :(

;)

2. NewGuy410

NewGuy410 Tele-Meister

First, I have to say "Great Job!" to all the builders.
    Just being able to complete a challenge like this is amazing in itself.

Its so tough to pick one...

...but my vote goes to Mark-00255's Ketchup Caster.

His video may be what finally swayed my vote.
    I really dig the Ketchup Caster's simple overall design.
    It sounded great too. Where can I find that pickup for $10? haha.
    ...and how about that bridge? Very cool.

Scatter Lee, I really enjoyed your build. Awesome work.

The contest has been both very informative as well as entertaining for me.
    I look forward to more contests in the future.

3. Keith S

Keith S Tele-Meister

I voted, but I feel bad about it because they are all so cool! This contest has had me on the internet (and the edge of my seat) more this month than in the previous year. I love it. I can't beleive it's almost over. I'm going to have to make a guitar now!

I love all of these guitars. I'm not going to say which one I voted for because they all deserve to win in one way or another.

4. getbent

getbent Telefied Ad Free Member

There isn't one that I wouldn't be thrilled to own.

Cheers, fellers, you guys are amazing! A round for the house!

[​IMG]

5. Stuco

Stuco Poster Extraordinaire

There were some close contenders but the lumbercaster is my favorite. Great job everyone!

6. IrishMail

IrishMail Tele-Meister

This challenge has been extraordinary for this modest first-time builder. My career has been in high-tech, but I've always believed that low-tech solutions will ultimately rule.

The judges are bound by the following:
    1) originality
    2) ingenuity
    3) appearance
    4) build thread/photos

Mark's Ketchup-Caster is my number one vote, because he (like I) used a lot of hand-held power tools, utilizing the more powerful resources of others' shops only when necessary. If all of these challenge-builds were in a shop, and priced at $100 each, his is absolutely my choice.

Second, based primarily on his exceptional recovery from the 'binding' oo-boo, is Marty.

I'm delighted to see that, so far, nobody has ranked the Spa-Caster at the top of their list. I played it for three hours at rehearsal this afternoon, and am already wondering how I'd feel if an underdog like me crossed the line first. I know my photos aren't great and my blog-text rambled a lot. Hell, I built and lived in a Santa Cruz treehouse in the early 70's - I'm personally still a work in progress.

For those who've never gotten close to building, I will attest that it requires patience and time, not a $20,000 shop full of exotic tools. I'll probably play this axe for a few years, put it on eBay as one of the 9 'challengers' who finished in time, and get enough out of it to buy new tires, a tank of gas, and a few sets of guitar strings.

I hope that the challengers are eligible to enter the drawing to win the 1st-place guitar. I'd be proud to gig with Mark's at any time, any venue. In the event he doesn't win - "Hey Mark, ;) I'll trade you straight across - whadda ya' say?" Peace, out.

7. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

This was a hell of a lot of fun to participate in. I think ScatterLee's thread has it all over the rest of us. He did a great (and entertaining) job of showing his progress and process. I was content with some lame pics taken with my webcam. Other's like Big Mike showed some real inventiveness making traditional-style hardware out of raw materials.
    Not that I have ANY need for another guitar :rolleyes: but I'm pretty relieved that mine is scoring so low and hope the official judging goes along a similar track. I really like this cheap little thing and am planning on adding some pinstriping after it loses the contest. :D

8. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

Besides the neck - I thought the creative bridge work was really inspiring.

9. TelecasterBlooz

TelecasterBlooz Tele-Afflicted

I voted for ScatterLee. It just floored me how a guy can make a body, AND a neck, slap some MM airbrush art on a guitar, then move on to another project like it's no biggie. To be sure, ALL the entrants get my respect no matter what. I can't do this kind of stuff, and I've always admired folks who do. Y'all deserve a pat on the back, a bong and a blintz, or at the very least, a pint of your favorite brew. I salute each and every one of you who participated in this. You guys make the guitar we know and love come to life in ways heretofore unimagined. A salute! To those who have the skill, talent, and vision to give us yet ANOTHER incarnation of that which we are so obssesed; The "T"-Style guitar!

10. nick.s

nick.s Tele-Meister

as everyone mentioned... all builds are superb!
    I have voted for the ketchup-caster 'cause that's the one I like best...

11. crispy king

crispy king Tele-Meister

As far as I'm concerned there's only one real winner of the $100 Telecaster Challenge

Big Mike Simpson -- Palletcaster

As it was the only one that was really a Telecaster. The others were variations on the theme.

12. Mojotron

Mojotron Poster Extraordinaire

This was a tough vote!! I agree with a lot of the other comments - all of the builds are very impressive.

Is this going to be an anual thing?

13. Woobs

Woobs TDPRI Member

I have to preface this with the fact I'm new to playing guitars...and also new to building them. I can appreciate the tremendous amount of talent that ALL of the entrents posess as well as the creativity they show in every detail from planning to crafting and problem solving.

I have really enjoyed following all of these threads over the past month and have found myself inspired to become more "adventerous" with my own future projects.

With all that on the table, I must concur that it is a daunting task to pick a clear cut winner as EVERY entrant had aspects that "led the field" during the build month...I found my estimations changing several times a week.

At the end if it all I reviewed all the threads again and again, with my unique (and inexperienced ) system....I finally decided that Scatter Lee was my pick.

Great Job to all!

14. maestrovert

maestrovert Poster Extraordinaire

Nope, no way can i choose just one....They're all winners in my book !

Congrats guys, and Thank You for sharing !

15. Keith S

Keith S Tele-Meister

Irishmail, don't be too sure there aren't some people out there who would love to take your guitar from you!

16. cpeters01

cpeters01 Tele-Meister

First off congrats to all the builders...they are amazing projects. A couple of highlights for me are: the Scattesquier neck and hardware built from scratch is amazing, Marty rescuing a pending disaster was brilliant, the bridge on the Ketchupcaster is fabulous and innovative, and the Palletcaster's copper hardware, my my...and those are just the highlights!!!

Each project has much brilliance in it and again, congrats to each one.

17. GEISHA

GEISHA Tele-Holic

I did not vote.
    My deepest respect to all contestants.
    If I would pick any fav I fear I would not do justice to all competitors.
    They are all winners on merit.

18. Ns10Fan

Ns10Fan Tele-Meister

All these threads were amazing, and I changed my mind about my personal favorite probably 5 or 6 times during the course of the last few months. In the end, I had to go with the ketchup-caster with scatt's being an extremely close second. I can't get over the bridge on the ketchup...it's sick, and I'm a sucker for a pretty natural finish.

I think overall, everyone here made it seem simple, and I believe (especially in the face of fender's $ jump) this contest, regardless of winner, will encourage people to get creative and build their own. At least, realize that you don't need to be limited by what's on the shelf at the megamusicmart. Don't think you could ask for anything more.

19. kp8

kp8 Friend of Leo's

I have been totally blown away by these build threads and there isn't a single guitar here i wouldn't like to own.

But .. the CADocaster breaks my heart. I can't quite put my finger on it, but there is a 70s UNIVOX vibe going there and the burst is just so nice. I seriously LOVE that guitar. I am absolutely stunned. It is one of the very nicest instruments i have ever seen. I am going to save the pictures to my hard drive and some day, if i hit the lottery, I will ask someone to make one exactly like it. It is gorgeous! I am in love!

-kp8--

20. Douglas Ingram

Douglas Ingram Tele-Meister

The real winner is the whole $100 challenge!

There is nothing like some basic restrictions and a deadline to get the creative juices flowing. The resultant threads are also far more useful, informative, and entertaining to new builders, than threads about assembling pre-made parts.

Given that I had circumstances allowing it, I would have loved to participate. A re-challenge will probably see me in the fray.

I love different things about each build. In no particular order:

-Scatterlee's thread was the most entertaining in a "what is he up to now?!" kind of way. Especially the casual "OK, I'm going to make a bridge out of this scrap metal", no fear, just get in and do it kind of approach.

-Martino's relic vision

-Marty's western hunter theme, "disaster", re-direction, and recovery.

-Big Mike's Palletcaster. I love the copper.

The Palletcaster is probably the guitar that I would hang out with, and that is the only reason that I am picking it.

In the end, you're all winners! Especially because you started and finished the entire project while I'm still waiting for my hardware to be delivered...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.