POLL: Which ONE build is the WINNER in your book

Discussion in '2009 TDPRI Tele Build Challenge' started by TDPRI, Mar 15, 2009.

Which ONE Tele do you think should win the Challenge

1. Colt W. Knight -- Lowecaster

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  2. Mark-00255 -- Ketchup Caster

14 vote(s)
    6.3%
  3. Martyb1 -- CADocaster

36 vote(s)
    16.2%
  4. Guitarbuilder -- Tidycatster

10 vote(s)
    4.5%
  5. Martino -- Alder Body Blank

27 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. Big Mike Simpson -- Palletcaster

19 vote(s)
    8.6%
  7. Irishmail -- Spa-caster

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  8. Maricopa -- Lumbercaster

11 vote(s)
    5.0%
  9. Scatter Lee -- Scattesquire

100 vote(s)
    45.0%
  1. TDPRI

TDPRI Retired

Admin Post
    The judges are going to do their own polling and pick ONE winner.

Your votes here will have NO bearing on the judging. So, you get one vote. Make it count.

2. Carzee

Carzee Tele-Afflicted

What time do the chads start piling up? :)

(Starting time?)

3. backalleyblues

backalleyblues Friend of Leo's

After viewing these threads over the weekend (my weekend started on Friday-forced early by the economy:() all I can say is-WOW!!!! As in, unreal WOW. I wish I had the talent and space to do something like this (not to mention a lot of the tools, too!). Funny part is, my girlfriend has been peeking over my shoulder looking at these threads occaisonnally in absolute amazement (and once in awhile horror-as in "Don't tell me you want to build one of these @#$%@#$% things yourself!). To everybody who got it done, my hat is off to you!!!

I don't envy the judges on this task, but I do have my own favorites... and until we have a "people's choice" poll put up, I'll just speak my peace... so without further ado...

#3) CAD caster-beautiful binding and carving work, and extremely creative

#2) Tidycatster-not as well finished as some other contestants, but extremely creative problem-solving, and wonderful use of materials at-hand (or in this case, by the litter box).

And my own #1 choice- the Scattesquire!!! Best and most creative use of materials and tools at hand, excellent finishing, and quite possibly the lowest out-of-pocket costs. And of all the guitars in the challenge, the one I'd most like to own (hey scat! maybe I;ll talk to you about building one for me!)

Edit this to add: I see we have a poll now, and I'll just stick this in the poll thread.

Franc Robert

4. iansmitchell

iansmitchell Tele-Afflicted

Tossup for me between the lubercaster, tidycatser, and the palletcaster.
    The lumbercaster gets points for the video, the original construction and overall awesome style.
    The tidycatser shows great skill, but the rather unfinished look with the obviously homebrewed pickguard has little charm for me. Also not a fan of snakeheadstock.
    The palletcaster looks liek a custom guitar, the cool copper style and overall traditional-but not and quality of construction is great.

So I voted lumbercaster. In all honesty if I won the contest the guitar I'd most love to receive would be the palletcaster.

5. Scatter Lee

Scatter Lee Friend of Leo's

the Palletcaster is pretty hot

6. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I voted for scatter because I enjoy his threads. Plus there are always hot women with big boobies. By the way Scatter, still going to get you to make me a leather strap. Just kind of lost track for a bit.

7. mudbean

mudbean Friend of Leo's

BRAVO!! My hat's off to all the contestants, way to go all around!

Youse guys are an inspiration.

mud

8. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Very inspiring threads, great builds and very, very hard to pick a winner!
    I can't make up my mind....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  9. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I vote for Martyb1 or Scatterlee

10. guitarbuilder

guitarbuilder Telefied Silver Supporter

Martino's ratrod-o-caster is a cool one I have to say.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2009
  11. Alamo

Alamo Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

What ya talkin about? :oops: whistle..... :lol:

12. Colt W. Knight

Colt W. Knight Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I didn't look at the builds as they were progressing, and I wish I would have now. So I didn't get the oppurtunity to go through and comment on all of them before they were shut down. I want to say that everyone did a fantastic job, and there was so much creativity here. I know most of us had to compromise a lot on our finished product to meet the deadline. It makes me wonder what would happen if we had a competition with a two month build time and a 300$ budget would produce.

13. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

It's one thing to look at the finished pics, but with most of these builds, you really need to look at the build threads to see HOW they were done. Some impressive problem solving in there - and a lot of "what the heck is he thinking now" moments for me as the build stories unfolded. I'm glad I'm not judging these things - congrats to all who met the challenge.

14. jkingma

jkingma Super Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    Everyone did great and there are some really fine instruments. I wish I could have a few of them. It's a really hard decision to pick just one.

As far as the end product is concerned I think I have to go with Maricopa's LumberCaster. I just love the overall design. Simple and a bit Retro.

But as far as the journey getting there I have to go with Scatter Lee's Scattesquire. He came up with some really cool jigs and methods to do things that shows you don't need a fully equipped shop to build a guitar.

15. The OB

The OB Tele-Meister

go gators

16. mofugly13

mofugly13 Tele-Meister

My favorite build is, by far, the Scattesquire, awesome ingenuity, and has me thinking "I could do that." My favorite finished geetar is the CADocaster. It looks like one of those heavy pieces of wood furniture from the 70's. The kind that looks like it belongs on a ship. I like that furniture.

17. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Just ONE!!! Man.... I didn't sign up for self inflicted torture....:eek:

Uhhhhh.... Decisions, Decisions......

Ron Kirn

18. jimdkc

jimdkc Friend of Leo's

Lot of skill and ingenuity exhibited in all these builds! Congrats to everybody!

Pretty difficult to pick a winner. Have to say, though, that my favorite final product is Martino's.

Jim

19. teletwin

teletwin Tele-Meister

Great job guys!!!! Very inspiring. I have spent the last month drooling over your tools ingenuity and ability (and scatts paintings). One day I'll have enough guts and tools to enter.

ALAMO.- Thanks for getting them all together in one pic.

What am I gonna do now while I drink the mornin' coffee?

We need another competition soon. Maybe the $25 pedal challenge or the $200 amp challenge. C'mon gimme some more MacGuyveresque eye candy.

20. Mark-00255

Mark-00255 Tele-Holic

Scatter set the bar way high early on with the Scattesquire - for cryin' out loud he made his own truss rod!

Martyb1's professionalism and skill is amazing - just whips out a three color burst like that!

Big Mike's palletcaster with the copper is totally Tele-cool.

Maricopa's blue dano is a nice retro piece and sounds great!

Irishmail's wacky black goop/sparkle pickguard/short-scale creation was totally fun to watch - you just had no idea what was happening there most of the time and it turned out cool!

Martino's dragon graphics, rusted hardware, extreme paint job really came on strong in the end!

Colt's farm animals and angle iron/dayglow creation was fun to watch as well once he got going.

And last, but no way least, we have guitarbuilder's amazing combo Tele/Lap Steel. Set the standard for found materials and creativity - I had no idea such instruments existed!

I don't think I'm a contender, but I learned alot, had a great time, and I think came up with some good stuff. What a great competition and ride this was. But, my vote, like so many others, in the final tally has to go to Scatt. Great build, cool jigs, lots of ingenuity, nice finish work, and a fun story all the way through.

Oh, one last bit of shameless self-promo - Paul was nice enough to post my video on the end of my thread after YouTube took an hour and a half to "process" it and the thread had closed. Check it out! There's nothing like some Ash and a maple neck to get you some twang!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.