1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Poll: What is Your Preferred Tele Neck Profile?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Nov 13, 2019.

What is your preferred Tele neck profile?

1. Fat C

2. Soft V

3. 50s U

4. 60s C

5. Modern C

6. Skinny

7. Shape doesn't matter, but if I can't hit a home run with it, I've got no use for it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

I voted 50s U with my 2011 AV52 in mind (new Vinteras seem to have a very close neck shape). FWIW I love the neck on my AV64 just as much.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. Si G X

Si G X Tele-Afflicted

Narrow with a rounded back (which I guess is a typical fender neck) ... I don't know other than my mates guitars are wide and kinda flat across the back and I don't like them.

3. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

I have always loved skinny necks, I have big hands but I still prefer a skinny neck. hard to find for tele's but I know a place to get them now.

4. ben smith

ben smith Tele-Afflicted

I like them small and skinny like my...

Clifton C likes this.
  5. Popov

Popov TDPRI Member

Currently here at Dora Mansion there are a number of guitars, my late '80's US Standard with a reasonably chunky but hard to define neck, an original Dan Armstrong with a heavily lacquered chunky but round neck, an early '90's Clapton Strat with an impossibly tiny "V" neck and imaginary fret-wire ....... so taking all that and adding in experience from all the others that have passed through my hands over the decades, when I started to build my "ideal" Partscasters ........ both Strat and Tele, a couple of years ago, I bought Musikraft necks, both large "V" 0,95"x0,95" with super-jumbo fret-wire ........ and they're about as perfect as perfect can be, given my cack-handed "playing".

As with so many things in life .......... each to their own.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. Celticaster

Celticaster TDPRI Member

Voted soft V but to be honest I am a bit confused about necks. I want to buy a Tele, but the neck is one of the things holding me back (I know I just need to go to a store and try a few..) We have 2 tele's in the house, (not mine) one is my Daughters from a few years ago, it is a Squier Avril Lavigne model, and my son has a Classic Player Thinline Delux (really nice guitar) they both have, I believe, C shaped necks and I find them both a little chunky as I am used to my 1984 Squier JV '60's rep series strat, the neck on that is just beautiful and fits my relatively small had a dream. I think (but I am not sure) that my JV strat is a soft v - hence my vote - If I could find a reasonably priced with the spec I want and a neck like that, I would be happy.

7. Jay Jernigan

Jay Jernigan Tele-Afflicted

A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to play someone else's tele that had the largest Fender neck I have ever encountered. I can appreciate the attraction, but I don't believe that I would want to play it all the time. Wasn't mine, so I don't know the specifics, but it did feel nice.
    For the record, I voted soft V. Also for the record, I don't like them small, thin or narrow; especially not narrow.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

My favorite neck is whatever's on my '88 Tele, but that's cuz it's been my main guitar all those years. A few years ago I bought a modern c strat that eventually started to cramp my hand, so I ended up with a '99 strat that feels just like my Tele.

That said, I recently got an older Classic 72 Thinline with a U neck and I've really grown to love it.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

My favorite Fender necks are the 2012-2017 '56 RI strat and 2014 '54 RI strat.

Technically I should prefer the '52 RI from the 2012-2017 run but I've had a few and always end up selling those.
    I have a '64 RI Tele. Thinner neck and rosewood board than my favorite Strats but after a few seconds of playing I get used to it.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

has to have shoulder and be 1 11/16 at the nut. other than that, not too picky.

currently my fav profile from fender is the deep c.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. jim777

jim777 Tele-Meister

I chose 'soft V" because i assume that's what my Baja has. Love that neck :)

12. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Fat C all the way (but I can appreciate 50's U also)

13. AviA

AviA Tele-Meister

50s U.

14. kookaburra

kookaburra Tele-Afflicted

I'm good with most, but I do prefer the 50s U.

15. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

That guy gave you a load of crap. Ask him if he's ever heard of a profile gauge.

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I bought those, plus TMO-FATs, and yeah I sanded a little bit of shoulder out of the shape. But honestly, they're only 1.625 inches wide at the nut and that's awful narrow. Something like 1.725 would be better. That's what Tommy Rosamond made in batches for me.

Frito-Man and El Tele Lobo like this.
  17. Fendereedo

Fendereedo Poster Extraordinaire

I voted 60s C shape, as it's the one I'm most familiar with.

Clifton C and El Tele Lobo like this.
  18. Switchy

Switchy Tele-Afflicted

My Squier Contemporary HH Telecaster says "C" so I assume that's a modern C? That's my favorite.

Which profile is the modern C in the photo???

19. nathanteal

nathanteal Tele-Holic

Of those listed, I've developed a particular fondness for the soft-V profile in the last few months. The Vintera '50s Modified Telecaster turned me on to it, but oddly enough, I never liked it on the '50s Baja.

The USACG neck I had crafted for my late MJT Thinline had a sort of shallow U with .84" at the nut (which was itself 1.687" wide). That's probably been my favorite profile to date.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. Mikesk

Mikesk TDPRI Member

I'm really digging the modern C, I have on both my strat and my tele, and the satin finish

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.