1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Poll: What is Your Preferred Tele Neck Profile?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Nov 13, 2019.

What is your preferred Tele neck profile?

1. Fat C

2. Soft V

3. 50s U

4. 60s C

5. Modern C

6. Skinny

7. Shape doesn't matter, but if I can't hit a home run with it, I've got no use for it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. elmicko

elmicko Tele-Afflicted

My current tele has a pretty fat neck on it and I can play it just fine, but the best neck I've had for me was on a MIM Standard. It was a Modern C.

2. Uncle Butch

Uncle Butch Tele-Meister

I prefer the 50's U or a soft V, but any contour will do. I switch from guitar to a skinny little mandolin neck and don't even think about it.

Fretting out and El Tele Lobo like this.
  3. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I had an Allparts TRO-FAT (1" U) for awhile. I liked it at first, but after awhile, I found it just a LITTLE too much with the shoulders. I think I prefer a little more rounded (C) or shaved (V) shoulders. But, depending on the application, I could probably play anything. Like I said, I already ordered what I think I'll like. Just curious what you guys like. Keep them coming!

MilwMark likes this.
  4. nopicknick

nopicknick Tele-Meister

I like them fat just like my.......

5. Texicaster

Texicaster Tele-Afflicted

This is one way to make yourself crazy!

Oddly too thin is more of a problem for me than too thick! I did have a Baja that was a bit too thick but it was so heavy it was difficult to judge if that was my main complaint.

I've bought a couple online that have U profiles and LOVE them! Recently I bought a Strat with a V boat neck and was concerned I wouldn't like it but love that too!

I have a 2012 '58 RI and that neck in just about too thin...I was gonna sell it but think I want to trade out to a U profile and see how that works. Anyone wanna trade? :D

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. revcharles55

revcharles55 TDPRI Member

Warmoth Fatback...

weevilcaster and El Tele Lobo like this.
  7. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

Neck profile is a hard topic to get around (pun intended, of course). If there is even such a thing as an official terminology, I've haven't found a source that nails it down definitively.

Are the terms "chunky," 'fat" and "thick" synonyms, or are those terms describing different depths in the various profiles/shapes? Does "thin" = "skinny"?

Then there seems to be the mix of profile designations that's based on decades, as the "50s" and "60s" references in your poll indicates.

Further complicating matters, there's the matter of what seems to be outmoded terminology. Case in point, "medium" doesn't seem to be a term that's in vogue any longer. Eleven going on twelve years ago, that seemed to be a pretty common profile designation for Tele necks, now you never see it.

Speaking of which, "medium" didn't show up anywhere on your poll, and that's what I was looking for. My preferred tele neck profile is a Medium C, but I don't know if that corresponds to your poll's "Fat C" or "60s C."

Of the necks on my five teles, only one isn't a Medium C. I were to guess, I'd say it's a Modern C. It plays well, and of course most all of the tele neck profiles are playable, but Modern C is not my "preference," which of course what you're specifically asking about here.

So, @El Tele Lobo , I haven't voted in the poll. I'd like to, but I'm just not sure if my preference is represented there.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

My 3FEB66B is supremely comfortable.

But I think I play better on the "soft V" on my Classic 50s Esquire. I think it puts me in a frame of mind to take more chances.

9. El Tele Lobo

Noted. I’ll try to update the poll when I get home from work. Thanks for letting me know, brother.

10. Matthew2

Matthew2 TDPRI Member

The American Pro neck is working great for me. I liked the American Standard necks before that pretty well too. I loved the neck on the MIM ‘50s Esquire. Squier CV neck is a little too thin and lacking in the shoulder department, doesn’t feel right.

11. El Tele Lobo

Unfortunately, I can't update the poll...but maybe I can do another poll thread in 6 months or so...and add more options. Thank you, though, brother, for posting your choice here.

LGOberean likes this.
  12. El Tele Lobo

Definitely seeing a trend of preference for bigger neck profiles here. Thanks for weighing in guys. Keep them coming!

13. GHOSTULUS

GHOSTULUS TDPRI Member

I have two Telly's, a 97 American, and a 98 American Deluxe Nashville Style with a belly cut. I'm assuming both of these are modern Cs. I would like to know what comes standard during which years, and I'm assuming that's what you're stuck with if you buy one. Both of mine feel fine, I have small hands I'm starting to get some arthritis now and I need to be as comfortable as possible. I did pick up I used Epiphone SG for $65 that has one of the best feeling necks I've ever played, to me it looks like a D shape kind of shallow very comfortable especially for chording.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

1956 V .. I had a CS version and liked the shape.

15. Pacificaster

Pacificaster TDPRI Member

I have a D on my Vintage Hot Rod 50's, and love it.
    For your viewing pleasure, here's some neck specs Fender sent me when I bought it...

Attached Files:

16. SINCASTER

SINCASTER Tele-Holic

I wanted to duplicate the large C neck that was on my dearly departed 1959 Custom Telecaster. Mine and I believe most of the really early 59's left Fullerton with a silver Fender " TELECASTER " head stock logo before they switched to the gold CUSTOM TELECASTER. My 1962 Custom Shop with the large C 1959 " TELECASTER " neck is my fave newer Telecaster.
    31391238_10155960786290020_4719209377926479872_o.jpg

El Tele Lobo and SnidelyWhiplash like this.
  17. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Friend of Leo's

I really like the Baja 50s model. A chunky C is nice also. I despise the too phat so called " vintage " necks that you never see on a true Fullerton model.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. thegreatwent

thegreatwent TDPRI Member

I agee with this.

I picked up a Brad Paisley tele and that neck is so nice. Wish it were a full 1” thick at the first fret. It’s kind more like a v to c. One of the best production tele neck profiles ever.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. TWhitelaw

TWhitelaw TDPRI Member

I have an Esquire neck (slab rosewood!) IMG_0668.JPEG IMG_0669.JPEG that dates to '60 and it is one of the most comfortable necks I've ever wrapped my hand around. Phenomenal.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Soft Vee is what I prefer and wish I had one on my tele, but I can adapt to anything, except thin necks. BTW, I have a wide a$$ baseball bat on my reso that I thoroughly enjoy too.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.