Poll: What is Your Preferred Tele Neck Profile?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Nov 13, 2019.

What is your preferred Tele neck profile?

1. Fat C

2. Soft V

3. 50s U

4. 60s C

5. Modern C

6. Skinny

7. Shape doesn't matter, but if I can't hit a home run with it, I've got no use for it

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Ordered a new neck recently. Was curious what you all prefer and how it matches up with my tastes...

Attached Files:

2. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

I own guitars with various shapes ranging from slim to chunky and C,D,V and U neck shapes.I've reached the point where I can adapt to any one as long as the guitar inspires me.But I do have a preference for a large early 50s style U shaped Tele neck like on the 2012-2017 52 reissues so I voted U shape.I tried several of the new Vintera 50s Teles which are spec'd as early 50s U and those are heavenly...if Fender were to make me a signature Sonny Wolf model it would have that neck profile with those thick shoulders on the edges and round shape.

mimmo and El Tele Lobo like this.
  3. felis

felis Tele-Afflicted

V neck (not soft) with a rosewood fretboard.

4. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I like a big ol’ neck.
    50’s U or Fat C, por favor.

nojazzhere and mimmo like this.
  5. wabashslim

wabashslim Tele-Holic

I got a Warmoth '59 Roundback in 2015 that I'm about 90% in love with, so I ordered another several months ago and it's nowhere near the same. It feels much closer to a slightly fatter Standard Thin or even a hint of V. I called them and the guy explained every one is hand-shaped and different guys do it differently. I kept it and once I've played it for awhile the hand adapts.

I really liked the feel of the Hot Rod Teles I played in the late 2000s.

Sax-son and nojazzhere like this.
  6. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

50's U for me. I can adapt and enjoy the C profile of my 60s classic series, but my AV telecaster's neck is heaven to me.

sonny wolf likes this.
  7. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Necks ?

There’s width and depth.

Chunky, soft, modern, skinny - all mean nothing .

or - they mean something different to everybody .

“ I love fat necks ! Really fat ! Like GE Smith fat. But because I have insect hands I only want a neck that’s 1/2” wide. 1” deep, 1/2” wide - you know , fat !”

8. holndav

holndav Friend of Leo's

Love the V neck Strat I have. Most of my Teles are C shape which is fine too.

Not really sure it makes a major difference in my playing but I do sure like how the V feels.

AndyPanda likes this.
  9. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

You would get a lot more hits if you titled this thread "What is the best neck profile?". :D Then we could fight non-stop.

I like the soft-V on my Baja, with the 60's C / fatter C second.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. GK34

GK34 Tele-Meister

I used to prefer the big chunky necks (Baja, AV52), but during the last few years I prefer the modern C on the American Standard and Player Series. They’re easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Holic

I voted soft V but it has to be beefy.

Gene O. and El Tele Lobo like this.
  12. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Shape is the second most important neck attribute for me. Never U or hard V. Preferred is 60s C. Slight V is ok. D is ok.

Nut width is the most important spec for me. Need 1 11/16 or almost that.

Depth isn't that important to me if it has those two things. Though baseball bats don't seem to work for me, despite big hands.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

Mine. I like my old 78 Tele neck, whatever that is. Close to a medium c I’d guess.
    I’m ok with most, except thin or narrow.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. John E

John E Tele-Afflicted

I can't really answer, although I voted soft V. I know what I would order if I was ordering from USACG or Warmoth. Soft V definitely thick but not over the top, tapered from maybe .85-.95. 12" radius, 1-11/16 nut and Medium J - to Jumbo frets. And generally I prefer rosewood FB but not anything to do with tone, I just like the feel under my fingers.

That said the profile (and other neck specs) will never make or break a guitar for me. There are so many varying neck styles that I have been able to fly on, wide thin, fat round, sharp v, etc etc etc. lol

When I pick up a built guitar I generally know right away whether I will get along with it or not. And they come in all different shapes, sizes, scale lengths, and flavors. And I can never put my finger on exactly why, it's just how the whole thing came together.

My current #1 tele is a BP silver sparkle. I love the neck on it... lol. But when I bought it I played two together... the one I bought I completely fell in love with and the other one was meh. Granted setup plays a huge part but both of these were set up pretty well,and the profiles were awfully close, if not exact.

So what's my point? I don't know! lol

I guess it's to say that I generally like a whole lot of different guitars and I don't (OK try not to) get hung up on the details anymore. A wise man named Rob DiStefano once told me, "A guitar is the sum of it's parts".

15. gwjensen

gwjensen Friend of Leo's

Love the U on my Vintera 50s Tele. After all these years of playing modern Cs I finally discover the right neck shape...

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  16. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

I had a similar experience. Three or four years ago, I ordered my "fatback" conversion neck from Warmoth, and I loved the full feel in my hand. It (supposedly) is 1" depth from nut to heel. I recently ordered another fatback, just like my first, only in maple instead of mahogany. When it came in, on a whim I put my calipers on it, and it measures .97" nut to heel....in other words, less than 1". I'm waiting to re-string my first to actually measure it, and see what it truly is. I'm keeping and playing the .97" one, but I'd rather they erred on the side of "more fat" than less. Honestly, I can't "feel" any difference between the two....maybe .03" is just too insignificant.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. Robert H.

Robert H. Friend of Leo's

What's the difference between 60's C and Modern C?

18. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

I have a 79-80 lead 2 and a 72 tele that have wonderful 70s u shapes both .88 at the first fret
    so I had to choose fat c because that’s the closest I guess

70s U-shape should have been a choice! :(

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Afflicted

Modern C is a thin c I’d say commonly .79 - .82
    At the first fret
    And 60s C is almost chunky to a big medium
    If that makes sense- .82-.86

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

I voted 60's C, but I can get along with anything as long as it's not TOO small. I've got guitars with all sorts, but if I had to pick one it'd prolly be my AV64 Tele neck. Whatever that falls under, I like a lot.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.