1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Poll: What is your favorite 50s-era Fender tweed amp (or clone thereof)?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Nov 28, 2020.

What is your favorite 50's-era Fender tweed amp (or clone thereof)?

1. Champ

2. Princeton

3. Pro

4. Harvard

5. Vibrolux

6. Deluxe

7. Tremolux

8. Super

9. Bandmaster

10. Low-Power Twin

11. High-Power Twin

12. Bassman

13. Other/Modern Interpretation of a Tweed Design

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

Champ, Princeton
    deluxe, early Tremolux
    5G9 Tremolux, Vibrolux...fixed Biasing separates these from the Deluxe and early Tremolux
    Bandmaster, Pro, Super, and 5E8A Twin
    Bassman, high power Twin

High Head Brad likes this.
  2. High Head Brad

High Head Brad Tele-Meister

Makes sense..... and my goal is to have one each in those categories. I've got the 1st, 3rd and 4th covered for now

Harvard would slot in with the 5G9 and 5F11 I assume (despite no trem)

3. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

This home-assembled set of old tweed amp part has also become a favorite of mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Depending on the situation I add or remove a third speaker.

It was originally a hacked up 5f4 to which I added an entire 5f6a preamp and PI section, cathode/fixed bias switch with different B+, modded tone stack to cut the bass to zero, a fan to keep the PT happy, internal channel linking to mix differently voiced channels. Kept the 5f4 power section with the large choke but removed the grid stoppers and added screen grid resistors. The cabinet is an old 5e6 Bassman cabinet with a homemade thin 3x10 baffle. 20uF instead of 16/8uf filter caps. 12ax7 as V1. Old Jensen LMI105 and P10Q speakers.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    ThermionicScott and El Tele Lobo like this.
  4. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Afflicted

BTW I did not butcher any original amps to make the Frankenstein amp above ^^^. All parts I collected over time.

Of the stock tweed amps I particularly liked the final model high power twin, the 5f6a bassman, the 1950 TV front Deluxe and Pro. The last Pro and 5F1 Champ were nice too. There are quite a few tweed models that I have never played though.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Poster Extraordinaire

Its weird that the Harvard has more votes than the Vibrolux. It's the same circuit except for the vibe-part.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. redchapterjubilee

redchapterjubilee TDPRI Member

Couldn’t pick just one so I voted deluxe and bassman. I have both (carl’s custom 5e3 and 59 bassman Ltd) and I couldn’t choose between them. I love them both for different uses.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. jman72

jman72 Tele-Afflicted

Love my 5f1 and 5e3 clone (home built). Two fantastic amps.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. thejumpcat

thejumpcat TDPRI Member

I currently have a 1958 Pro (for sale) that’s probably the best sounding amp I’ve owned over the last 40 years of playing. Inspiring to plug into. Also had a three-knob Pro, which I think was a ‘54. Different sound, but damn good!

I’ve also got a tweed 1955 Gretsch Electromatic Artist (with tremolo!) that is a 5-watt fire breather. Rare, and glorious sounding.

The past few years I’ve had two Victoria 35210 (Supers) and two 518 (Champs) that were really fine tweed pieces. The Supers both had split V fronts, which is a cool twist.

Not tweeds per se, but I’ve had two Gibson GA40s (55 and 56) that would crush my fellow guitarist’s 59 Deluxe, and a mint 56 GA6 that I just sold. Didn’t own it long enough really, but the tone was there in spades.

Likewise, I had two Gibson GA5s (57 and 58), which have circuits nearly identical to 5FA Champs. Love those, and they’re typically 1/3 the price of Fenders.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. galtjunk

galtjunk TDPRI Member

Of all of the Tweed Fenders I have owned, my favorite was the 2x10 Super with 6v6's.
    It had the creamiest distortion of all.
    2nd row left.

[​IMG]

10. mjtrip001

mjtrip001 TDPRI Member

The only one I have ever owned or played is a 5F1 Champ clone that I built myself. The tone is amazing, it's the best sounding amp. And since I only play by myself in my basement, it is perfect for me. Turn it down and use a little boost and you get some sparkle, turn it up for the creamiest od that no pedal can duplicate.. I love it.

kingmlg and El Tele Lobo like this.
  11. teletdf

teletdf TDPRI Member

Many moons ago, I was picking up a guitar from Mike Lull in Bellevue, WA. He had a small showroom with a couple of amps so you could give your freshly-renewed guitar a spin. There was tweed narrow-panel Deluxe that I tried. The sound - the tone, the touch sensitivity, the depth - was sublime. I asked if he was selling. He laughed and said if I had a grand, maybe. But only maybe. Of course I the fool did not call his bluff. I think if that sound often and what might have been...sigh.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. warchol

warchol TDPRI Member

5E4-A Super: 2 x 6V6GT output
    All that lovely Super sound at lower volume....

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

:eek: Wow!!!

14. dvh2

dvh2 TDPRI Member

My fav would have to be a Deluxe 5e3. Although I have had a few Victoria 20112 amps that I Loved.

sad99 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  15. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The closest I have to compare are the 5f6-a and 5f8-a, Bassman and high power Twin, circuits. we've got a 4 x10 and a 2x12 setup, with the exact same circuit components... Other than a huge difference in transformers and two additional tubes.

The four tens of the Bassman are brighter sounding, tighter, pluckier, and quicker. They fill a room with swirly sparkle instantly.

The 2 12's, and bigger iron, are more lower mid focused. The amp fills a room with sound, but it's very different than the Bassman. It also hits you har din the gut, thumps on your chest.

Like @Wally, I think the speakers make some difference, but the difference sin transformers required to perform the duties asked makes a big difference. The huge transformers of the Twin create a much heavier and cleaner lower end. It allows for a completely different experience. But, at the same time, the two amps sound like they are from the same tone camp. Similar, but different. Different enough for me to easily justify owning both!

I still want to build a Bandmaster/Super/Pro... One of these days.

Wally, El Tele Lobo and scook like this.
  16. sirnoel

sirnoel Tele-Meister

One vote for vibrolux. Perfect practice amp. Incredibly tight and versatile. Loves all pedals. Very usable wattage.

17. Dik Ellis

Dik Ellis Tele-Meister

Yes indeed. A 5E3 amp is on my bucket list. Just love the tweed tones.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. ThermionicScott

ThermionicScott Poster Extraordinaire

I've built clones of a 5E7 Bandmaster, 5F2A Princeton, and 5B5 Pro (with iron that works reasonably well to simulate a 5B3 Deluxe if I plug in 6V6s and a 5Y3.) But I had to vote for "Other/Modern Interpretation" in the end, because I seem to be happiest with configurations of features that never existed. So all of my builds have... mutated.

I love the way a paraphase PI and cathode-biased output section break up, but I've also come to love the clarity and definition of a TMB tone stack. With a 15k mids resistor a la BF Champ, you get that without scooping out too much midrange.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2020
    Wally and El Tele Lobo like this.
  19. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Friend of Leo's

Low Power Twin ! If I can crank it. IMG_2609.JPG

JJ

ThermionicScott likes this.
  20. wstrnswingster

wstrnswingster TDPRI Member

My go to the grave is this 5F4. Had 4, 5B4, 5E4-A (2-6v6's) and 2 5F4's. Never owned one before '52 but I'd like to try one, the earlier the better. Swapped the R's for Q's from a '61 Concert. This one was owned by a little old lady that played her Accordion thru the low gain input! Don't know why she recovered it but it was 100% stock and clean sonically. Super1.jpeg
    Super2.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.