1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Poll: What is your favorite 50s-era Fender tweed amp (or clone thereof)?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Nov 28, 2020.

What is your favorite 50's-era Fender tweed amp (or clone thereof)?

1. Champ

2. Princeton

3. Pro

4. Harvard

5. Vibrolux

6. Deluxe

7. Tremolux

8. Super

9. Bandmaster

10. Low-Power Twin

11. High-Power Twin

12. Bassman

13. Other/Modern Interpretation of a Tweed Design

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Pretty self-explanatory. Let's hear your faves. Doesn't have to be an amp you own or have owned. It can be one you played once in a shop or at a friend's; one you're saving for, dollar by dollar; or one you've lusted after for years. Though I would like to know...what tweeds, if any, do you own? When you finally got one, was it all you imagined? More? Less?

I just listed the primary model names, rather than the different model numbers (or this would be a HUGE poll!). But if there's a specific model, say, Deluxe, that you like, please list it in a post and explain why you like that one versus others (it can be a simple as that was the one you owned or as complicated as a lengthy dip into the minutiae of amp circuits).

If your amp is a clone by another maker, list the maker, their model name and what Fender model it's a clone of.

EDIT: Forgot to mention...you can vote for more than one!

It's a tweed election year, guys. VOTE!!!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    warchol and Alamo like this.
  2. theprofessor

theprofessor Poster Extraordinaire

I probably don't have enough experience to vote, but I voted for a 5f4 Super. I'd love to hear a 5e7 Bandmaster, which is essentially a Super with 3 speakers instead of 2, to see if I like it better. But for now, I'm voting for the Tweed Super. Small enough to be portable. Can be clean, clear, and punchy, but can offer some nice breakup, too, at less than ear-bleeding levels (I'm looking at you, Tweed Twins).

Aesthetically, though, all the tweed Fenders are my favorites.

3. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

My fav is whatever one Rory Gallagher was using at any given time. When he moved away from his bassman and his twins, histone wasn't as good, imo.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. tweedman2001

tweedman2001 Tele-Afflicted

Was North of There, Now Way Way South of There
    My 60 Deluxe 5E3. Stupidly sold it but built a clone with some mods in it. I found it to be very versatile after the learning curve with the interactive controls. It loved single coils and humbuckers alike.
    1960 Deluxe.jpg

dvh2, telemnemonics and El Tele Lobo like this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

I voted for:
    • Champ - because it's so basic, so simple, so elemental...and yet, so AWESOME all the way up that one little dial; also, I own modern clone of one...with a 12" speaker. THIS is how this amp should have been configured all along (or at least offered as an option)
    • Deluxe - because I played a vintage '59 at a blues jam once that was absolutely glorious
    • Tremolux - because what's better than a tweed Deluxe? A tweed Deluxe with tube-driven tremolo!
    • Bandmaster - I saw a YouTube video of a guy playing jazz on one and it was love at first comp!
    • Other/Modern Interpretation of a Tweed Design - see my first listing about my Champ clone; Of the tweed amps I've actually played, this is neck and neck with the Deluxe.

High Head Brad and mojek like this.
  6. JRapp

JRapp Tele-Holic

The best sounding tweeds I ever had (I've had a few) were a couple of '57-'59 Pros and a '59 high power Twin.

El Tele Lobo and mojek like this.
  7. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Afflicted

20200514_080459.jpg

I love the 5b3 deluxe. This one is a Lil Dawg. My favorite amp hands down.

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I used to have a '57 Deluxe, a Tweed Bassman RI, and several old Marshalls all at the same time.
    Years later I played a Victoria Tweed Twin.
    I've also played two or three other old Tweeds but only know one was a Pro, not even sure which version.
    And I have a Kendrick 5f1.
    Basically the late Bassman (including the Twin) to Marshall is my favorite DNA from the Tweed family.

I've never played any of the earlier octal pre Tweeds though and I might like those too, I have loved some early Ampeg octal pre/ amps.
    When i had the 57 Deluxe I also had a '50s Ampeg Jet, which pretty much killed the Deluxe.

Ricky D. and El Tele Lobo like this.
  9. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

I built a Mission Amps 5E3 chassis kit in 2007. I picked up a Mojo cabinet on eBay and an alnico Sig 12 from Weber. Put one coat of Minwax honey pine poly on the tweed.

I immediately sold off my only other amp, a Mesa Studio 22. The Mesa was a good amp, just too complicated for me, too many knobs.

What a great feeling it was to build an amp, go through all the checking and initial start up procedures, and finally plug in a guitar and let it rip. This is still with the amp plugged in to an outlet controlled by a wall switch so I can chop the power without touching it. I launch into The Mar Keys' Grab This Thing, and it sounds so good, so perfect, I just can't stop grinning.

It's still my only amp thirteen years later, and it still makes me grin. Many thanks to Bruce Collins at Mission for his help getting started.

10. El Tele Lobo

That's a looker of a tweed for sure! Very nice. Since MSA is out of the mix now, I will likely go to Lil Dawg if I get another tweed. Been lurking around his website off and on for awhile.

The blanket and cactus...perfect final touches.

gobi_grey likes this.
  11. Aandjr

Aandjr TDPRI Member

I would vote for a 1949 Dual Professional followed by a high powered tweed twin.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. Festofish

Festofish Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Never played any of them but I’d still take a Vibro-whatever...or any of them really.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. El Tele Lobo

Oh! I forgot about the Dual Professional! But didn't that evolve into the Super by the 50's?

14. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

Little tweedy boys! If we are all likin this stuff, we should all be aware of the heavy challengers. Valco products, Supro, National and amps they made for others. I just traded my awesome Supro 54 Spectator for a 57ri Champ. I don't know who got the better deal, Supro 50's amps are awesome and vibe heavy. And sound magnificent. And if you want NEW in a VINTAGE vein, look at Vintage 47 for an incredible tweed frickazie.

I have a 57 ri champ, an EC Champ, another ri quasi Clapton no vibrato champ.. They sound best when using my special 1x8 cabinets with Jensen special design Alnicos. Some more bottom.

High Head Brad and El Tele Lobo like this.
  15. swervinbob

swervinbob Tele-Afflicted

I love the tweed sound, but have never played anything other than amp sims. So I’m not going to vote.

16. AlbertaGriff

AlbertaGriff Tele-Afflicted

I voted Tremolux over Deluxe because of the big box, plus I'd love to hear a 5G9. I also voted for the Super, as Inplayed a 5F4 clone that sounded fantastic.

I also voted for high power Twin and the Bassman for obvious reasons.

High Head Brad and El Tele Lobo like this.
  17. John E

John E Friend of Leo's

By far the greatest amp I have ever owned and gigged (and of course, STUPIDLY sold) was a 5e7 Bandmaster built by Mark Norwine into a burnt out Fender Blues Deluxe chassis/cabinet. It had an EV12L speaker in it, was loud enough on 3 to make animals in Africa stampede... and it weighed like 100lbs (which is why I sold it in a fit of G.A.S.).

That was far and away the most incredible and intoxicating Fender clean tone I have ever had. Even at low volume it sounded unreal... I could sit and noodle on it at low (and high) volumes for hours at a time. It loved every guitar and pedal I threw at it. And now I'm sad remembering how I stupidly sold it... lol

Wally, El Tele Lobo and telemnemonics like this.
  18. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

I like your ornamental Cactus, I'd have one too except there are so many in my neighborhood.

El Tele Lobo and gobi_grey like this.
  19. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

AMP SIMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Yelled in Yosemite Sams voice.

swervinbob likes this.
  20. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

You guys tired of me gushing over the High Power Twin yet?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.