Poll: What Fret Size Do You Prefer on Your Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Nov 13, 2019.

What fret size do you prefer on your Teles?

1. Vintage

2. Tall/narrow

3. Medium jumbo

4. Jumbo

5. Railroad Ties

6. Anything works for me...I just play them

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Durtdog

Durtdog Poster Extraordinaire

Although I learned to play on vintage frets and probably used them the first 10-15 years I played, I now prefer medium jumbos, and I also like modern profile necks more than thick vintage style necks.

2. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I guess in hindsight I could have put stainless in as an option. I figured people would mention that in their posts. Thanks for chiming in!

3. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, I think FMIC was at a sort of crossroads. On their "Classic" types of models, when they had poly neck finishes and 6230 fretwire, they probably needed to go to stainless. Otherwise, less candy coating on the fretboard or bigger nickel silver wire. I'm trying to convey that, players of models such as Classic 50s and 69 Thinlines were being plagued by worn 6230 fretwire that just sort of got lost, quickly, under all that neck finish.

And this is where the AO and Vintera lines come from, I think. FMIC pretty much knew or assumed that East Indian Rosewood would not be playing that much of a role in future instrument production, so maple was going to carry most of the load. And maple means finishes and this sort of sealed the fate of the 6230 wire and the board radii just tend to follow.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Yeah, the notorious benders and heavy handed players should stop messing around and go to Jescar or stainless. St. Leo never imagined bending the way it exists today. With the Barbed Wire we used then, even the toughest ranch hand's fingers would have been shredded in no time, attempting big ole bends. It was a long time ago when I started, but I sort of remember thin strings and big, sultry bends arriving hand in hand in the mid 1960s.

Except me. I never really incorporated bending into my playing, quite the way many of you all do. Because I have too many guitars and because I don't bend that much, I can stay with nickel silver. I guess what I am saying is, don't necessarily do as I do. Every player is different. Just because I detest 6000 doesn't mean you have to - if it works for you, go for it.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Medium jumbo the clear winner here...by a mile.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.