Poll: What Fret Size Do You Prefer on Your Teles?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Nov 13, 2019.

What fret size do you prefer on your Teles?

1. Vintage

2. Tall/narrow

3. Medium jumbo

4. Jumbo

5. Railroad Ties

6. Anything works for me...I just play them

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Holic

For thirty years my main electric has been my '88 Am Std Tele, which has medium jumbos (I believe?!?)...

My most recent purchase is a Classic 72 Thinline, with vintage specs. I was worried about adapting to the rounder board, but actually it was the vintage frets that took some getting used to. Once I did, though, it became my favorite guitar. When I pull another one out after playing the Thinline it feels like speed bumps under my fingers. For awhile. Then I adapt back. So I voted for "anything."

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

as I have said often... the only reason anyone needs for anything is "I just wannit, dadgummit,." then ya go get it.. it's those guys that frequent forums, equivocating, looking for someone to validate their choice, and arguing with those that do not... now, that's whining...

r

3. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity

I chose medium jumbo but I still like the vintage frets too. It's what many of us learned on way back when.

stratoman1 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  4. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Beautiful lady. You are truly blessed, Ron. Congrats on your 50-year milestone. Wishing you and the wife a joyous 50th!

5. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

Both of my Teles have 6150 stainless frets. They're the same height as Fender Tall-Narrows, but wider. I'll never use anything else going forward.

6. Tommyd55

Tommyd55 Tele-Holic

I have a very nice (to me) USACG neck with 6105 EVO's that I really seem to like a lot.. I have another from Warmoth with Vintage frets which I have never liked.. They are very different in back contour as well so that probably plays a part in that as well. The Warmoth is their standard thin and the USACG is a fatter chunkier taper like .850 to .970 or so..
    I have on order from BGP another neck coming with the same 6105 EVO's, which I had to ask for as they are not listed on their neck builder page but they said no problem to that request. Warmoth said Nope can't be done..
    So the medium jumboish size get's my vote as does Stainless or EVO's.. I'll never order anything with nickel frets again.. To heck with those costly refrets..

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

If I were ordering a neck, I would save my pennies [joke -- no pennies in Canuckistan] and get it with SS frets.

8. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

6125 is my fretwire favorite. 6105, 6150 also pretty nice.

I like a 6230 so long as it is not drenched in poly. I think the thing that spoiled some MIM Classic 50s and 69 Thinlines was, a small wire that works great on rosewood or on unfinished maple, then they candy coat the neck with just the thickest poly. The frets get lost under there.

Talking about whining, I become a crabby jerk, trying to play this 6000 or other monster sized fretwires. I make mistakes (half because I expect to) and I wanna blame the guitar (or least the fretwire). I guess if I woke up tomorrow and every guitar had this 6000 or "Super" wire, I would find a way.

Greggorios likes this.
  9. Shuster

Shuster Poster Extraordinaire

Gentlemen,,, We have a Bingo!!;)

10. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

"Vintage," i.e. 6230 or equivalent.

Telebeestar and El Tele Lobo like this.
  11. Gene O.

Gene O. Tele-Holic Gold Supporter

I voted for 6105 (narrow/tall) because they weren't getting many votes, and because I like 'em. But I also like medium jumbos. I don't know if I've ever played guitar with jumbo frets, but I doubt that I would even notice after a minute of playing.

12. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I voted "Medium Jumbo." I considered casting a second vote of "Anything works for me," since I've never bought a guitar based strictly on fret size. I switch from various acoustics to teles without much notice. But I do have a guitar (not a tele) that has jumbo frets and a fat-ish D neck, and that one is the most noticeable to me when changing to it. It's playable, but not my favorite. So, I just stuck with my Medium Jumbo vote.

El Tele Lobo and nojazzhere like this.
  13. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

I like the frets Leo installed, whatever those were.

14. silvertwang

silvertwang TDPRI Member

6150 evo gold, they sit between nickle silver and stainless steel as far as hardness and dont get marked by wound strings. I ordered these frets on my custom warmoth neck. IMG_5961.JPG

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

I like 'em all except the tall and narrow, because I'm as much a slider as a bender and those tall and narrow things are like speed bumps. I have an old Univox neck with those low flat frets from the 70's and I like that fine. I probably have a fair variety of fret styles around the house, so whatever.

El Tele Lobo and Shuster like this.
  16. old wrench

old wrench Tele-Afflicted

Played on "vintage" size frets for much of my life and was perfectly happy, but I find myself gravitating towards taller wire now a days.

I recently finished up one of my own necks that I fretted with Jescar 51-100 ss. wire.

I guess that's medium-tall?

Really a nice size for me and my playing style, and for bends in particular.

Very nice under the fingers :)!!!

g

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. 41144

41144 Tele-Afflicted

Totally get where you're coming from Ronkirn .... Who knows where the time goes?
    But what a ride eh!
    Ups and downs, joy and despair ... Literally sickness and health ... But, still in there .. still playing :cool:

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. stratoman1

stratoman1 Friend of Leo's

I started on vintage so that's home and I have them on both of my Fenders. But my Gibson run from tiny vintage on my 339 to what I guess are medium jumbo on my LP to railroad ties on my SG. So at this point I don't really care. I just pick them up and play. As long as the neck is straight and frets are in good shape that's what matters

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Holic

Vintage.

Pros:
    - better intonation
    - has more margins for E-strings to not fall off the FB (w/ smaller rolled edge part)
    - look better (to my eye)

Cons:
    - maybe requires more frequent fret job (but easier in everything!)

20. Rockinvet

Rockinvet Tele-Holic

For me it depends on the radius, the shape, the wood all combined. But I did not like the frets on my highway one tele with the rosewood neck. I loved my 68 tele maple neck. Those frets were not to high and not thin. Just right. The next was a 70s maple neck of course on a tele although the lacquer was a bit tacky the frets were wide but not too high.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.