Poll: The Coolest of Beatles

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by studio, Feb 20, 2015.

Favorite Fab Four Fella

1. John Lennon

19.4%
  2. Paul McCartney

13.2%
  3. George Harrison

42.6%
  4. Ringo Starr

20.2%
  5. Yoko Ono

2.3%
  6. George Martin

6.2%
  7. Brian Epstien's secratary, Freda

6.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

The Stones, The Yardbirds, and The Animals were cool. The Beatles were too squeaky clean at first. Then they were far too earnest, and then too weird while still being earnest.

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Yeah. Ringo even liked his son.

Imagine....there's no heaven, & daddies loving their offspring

3. heresstephen

heresstephen TDPRI Member

i'm surprised how many of us including me picked George Harrison

4. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

Ringo seems the most like a regular guy who lucked into something and rode the wave, like most of us would have, and seems to have had a great time doing it.

5. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

You others have the luxury of all the TV views of the Beatles I didn't have, but George often to me, seemed overwhelmed but all that was going on around him. He was a humble guy, and he was the surfer that showed up the Day the Ocean Came Alive with waves and he rode some, but if he was going to catapult past his mates, he could've I guess but he did not.

I think George was the truly lucky one, to hook up with the others despite being more introverted than the others. Ringo was a born entertainer, reached out to people outside of Rock or Pop with his wit and charisma. Getting the general populace to accept this weird band from a foreign country, promoting unfamiliar tastes and behavior was not an easy thing to do and I think Ringo was fabulous at breaking the ice.

George was beloved by people who were "Already In" insofar as the Beatles and the British Invasion were concerned. But, in my view he wasn't really useful in converting those who were hesitant or hostile to this new trend. The amazing success of the Beatles was IMO not about satisfying those whose appetites were already whetted, but by breaking down the very strong pockets of resistance from Elvis Presley Stalwarts and people who were uncomfortable with singers as innocuous as Jack Jones and Wayne Newton. We forget how freaked out a lot of older folks and folks from rural communities and fans of Big Band and Beethoven and Brahms were by this assault. Because that's what it was, an assault.

6. repeatofender

repeatofender Tele-Afflicted

A lot of the Beatles catalog sounds pretty much like children's music now. IMHO it's more Pop than Rock (with some obvious exceptions).
    I grew up on them and still enjoy their music.
    Thirty years ago I would have voted for John
    I voted for George, but Ringo's a strong second.

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Pete Townshend, Jim Morrison were seething with energy. Or seething with something, at least.

They were the guys who were about to loose their cool most of the time. I guess you could say they're Rock and Roll no question, but the guy who seems like a lit stick of dynamite is not my definition of cool. I'm delighted to watch but I can clearly see, there's others who found cool worked instead.

One could argue the Beatles were not overheated enough to please a sector of the Rock fan base. Depends on how you define cool; could be the Beatles weren't edgy enough for you.

If fans are dying at the shows, most likely the performers are hot and they're pushing the envelope; being as aggressive as they can get away with. Your guys are definitely what this music is about but maybe cool is the one word that doesn't apply to them.

8. Manolete

Manolete Friend of Leo's

John Lennon seethed with an anger, but it came from insecurity and doesn't seem like a good thing (ask his first wife, Stu after he took that kicking, or his son Julian). He also wasted the '70s sitting in bed. McCartney is cooler for making McCartney II, but even some of that album gets close to the looning and 'granny music' that I dislike of his. Ringo narrated Thomas the Tank Engine, which is so uncool it is cool.

9. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

This is me. My sister played the Beatle albums and I played the Stones and Yardbirds.

What do sisters know anyway?

Although, She did set me up for my first ever date with a friend of hers. What did I do? I took her to a Beatles movie. :rolleyes::oops::lol:

10. ce24

ce24 Poster Extraordinaire

toss up etween Ringo and George.......stu? couldn't play a lick of guitar so no cool factor for me there.

ce24

Not edgy:eek: they were totally rock n roll in the Hamburg days, questions of sex drugs fighting and rock n roll was their appeal then...It was Epstein who made them (appear) squeakey clean. Jagger called them the 4 headed monster. Nobody wrote like them early on...or later....stones just jacked old blues songs.....before they got their writing moj. Not that I didn't like them, they are still good songs.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2015
  11. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

VW. :D

Attached Files:

12. StoogeSurfer

StoogeSurfer Tele-Afflicted

Cool in what sense? If we're talking early Beatles performing-cool, it's Lennon hands down, painted black Ric, forehead mop, peering through squinty eyelids, k i l l ing the vocal. This of course is before he turned into weird Yoko John, and seemingly couldn't open his mouth without trashing something or someone.

13. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

No-one is questioning the quality of their songs. But in their first few albums, they had too many songs that used that bossa nova kind of beat. That's not cool. Then they wrote songs like And I Love Her, I'll Follow the Sun, Yesterday, Help, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Nowhere Man, Michelle, I've Just Seen a Face, Eleanor Rigby. Not cool.

Asking which Beatle was the coolest is like asking which member of Toto or The Little River was the coolest. :D:D

14. jbmando

jbmando Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

The squeaky-clean was an invention of Brian Epstein. In reality they were pretty BA.

15. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Yeah, Lennon behaved pretty abominably towards his son, his wives, Paul, etc. The classic hurt abandoned child taking his anger out on the world.

Well, that and he was probably drunk out of his mind at the time.

I see where everyone's going with the Ringo pick, and I agree to a degree. John's not it for the reasons stated above, and the tendency for boomers to treat him like the Messiah. George really comes off like a sour hypocrite to me.

Paul's got his issues, but he's had to endure a lot of crap over the years from Lennon-loving fans. He's always believed in The Beatles. That may sound silly, but to me it's significant that he never tried to pretend that it was all a bunch of b.s. He would've stuck with it if the others had gone along. Also, he's never stopped trying to put out great stuff. And he's by far the best performer of the bunch.

I know we're supposed to be talking cool here, but there's nothing less cool than consciously trying hard to be cool. I'm talking to you, Stu! (And you, too, John.)

16. Collirem

Collirem Tele-Meister

Skully is right here ..... totally agree on all points.

17. jtees4

jtees4 Tele-Afflicted

I need two votes because my vote has changed over time. For about 30 years I LOVED...I mean WORSHIPED John Lennon. The day he died was one of my worst days ever. Over the years my opinion of him has changed for the negative, not meaning I don't still love him....but not quite as much as I did when I was younger. At the same time, my respect for Paul has risen a lot. I have read every Beatles book out there and just realized that Paul was much more important than I ever gave him credit for. The truth is, I still love all The Beatles, they were the best band ever in my book....along with Brian Epstein and George Martin who were both a much bigger part than I ever realized.

18. Option1

Option1 Tele-Meister

Freda! Never has 350 pounds of naked wobbling flesh looked so cool as when Freda did her dance of the 7 tents.

Neil

19. Miff

Miff Tele-Meister

Why are there only 3 'fifth Beatles' in that list - there were loads more of them!

20. bingy

bingy Friend of Leo's

Billy Preston.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.