1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Poll Semi-auto or revolver

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by d barham, Feb 21, 2019.

Semi-auto or Revolver?

1. Semi-automatic

34 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Revolver

25 vote(s)
    42.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. d barham

d barham Tele-Holic

Which do you prefer? I'm an old wheel gun guy myself.

LGOberean and aerhed like this.
  2. MountainTwang

MountainTwang TDPRI Member

I love revolvers. But for EDC, a semi-auto is my go-to.

3. DADGAD

DADGAD Friend of Leo's

It really depends on the job it's needed for. I have a revolver for hunting game but autoloaders for plinking and home protection.

beyer160, Danocoustic and tomkatf like this.
  4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I kept hearing that semi-autos can jam up and revolvers can't. But I was shooting my friend's revolver with wadcutter rounds and it jammed-up several times!!!

Anyway, I like the idea of keeping a semi-auto on my person but the thought of carrying it with a round in the chamber and the safety on makes me a bit nervous. It's kind of like, it wants to shoot and I'm holding it back. I currently don't carry at all, but I'm considering it.

5. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    none of the above !

darkwaters, ponce, raysachs and 12 others like this.
  6. aerhed

aerhed Friend of Leo's

Flat guns are for thugs.

7. Kirchensfan

Kirchensfan Telefied Ad Free Member

Voted Automatic as carry, but trust revolvers for outdoor/hunting.

nojazzhere likes this.
  8. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Doctor of Teleocity

I hope I'm never in the position of having to defend myself with deadly force, but if I DO, I'm realistic enough to know one or two, or sometimes even six, shots won't necessarily stop a threat. It's not like in the movies where one hit takes down the bad guy.....they can be shot several times and won't even know it. (until they bleed out ten minutes later) The two semi-autos I carry have seven and eight round magazines, but if I carry a re-load mag, I can re-load in seconds, with another seven to eight rounds. It's all about being prepared.

LGOberean likes this.
  9. WetBandit

WetBandit Friend of Leo's

Revolvers, just for the sake of reliability.

You pull the trigger it goes bang, every single time without failure.

Not to mention they are more powerful and accurate than a semi auto counterpart of the same calibre, due to the fact it's a closed chamber and energy isn't being spent cycling the action.

If I were gonna have a gun laying around the revolver fits the bill.

They are exceptionally good for women shooters or weak waisted individuals since firing with a limp wrist, will not cause cycling issues that occur eith semi autos.

3-Chord-Genius and Toto'sDad like this.
  10. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

At times like this I just ask "what would the Cartwrights do?"

11. jimgchord

jimgchord Tele-Afflicted

For plinking, a semi... For home defense, niether. I'll stick with the best tool for that, a shotgun.

12. thunderbyrd

thunderbyrd Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I feel that revolvers are generally more reliable.

13. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I like 'em all. For me, a competition shooter (I don't have a loaded firearm anywhere in the house or garage nor do I carry), I look at the task. I really loved speed games, like bowling pins. For absolute speed, a double action revolver is the tool. S&W 625. I'm no Jerry Mickulek but I have posted some very fast times.

Don't fool yourself, revolvers can be cranky and cantankerous too. Less than semi-autos but I've had my share of failures.

I enjoy upgrading and tinkering...nothing better for that than a box of 1911 parts. They're a hoot to shoot also...esp. if they perform well after 'tuning up' (learning curve, etc.).

For pistol silhouette, single shot.

3-Chord-Genius and Nickadermis like this.
  14. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

I used to have a Ruger .357 revolver with long barrel. Wonderfully reliable, accurate, and powerful, but too dang heavy. Adds a lot if you’re backpacking, for example. I have a Glock in .45 acp. Much lighter, more rounds, plenty powerful...except for big game of course. Reliability is not really an issue. Shooting oneself or someone else by accident is more of a possibility, I suppose. Never point it towards anything you’re not willing to put a big hole in. Also have a 1911- also heavy.

nojazzhere likes this.
  15. Beachbum

Beachbum Friend of Leo's

I keep a semi auto hanging by my bed in condition 1 but for home defense I vote hand grenade or RPG.:lol: What are you guys doing.:mad: I come here to talk about guitars, the weather, bathroom renovations anything but this. Maybe you guys could take it over to 1911.com and have a good time.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    JustABluesGuy, mrmousey and P Thought like this.
  16. Ira7

Ira7 Doctor of Teleocity

Wheel. Getting a Judge soon which can do 45 Colt and these cool new 410 shotgun shells loaded for defense.

Rustbucket likes this.
  17. Nickadermis

Nickadermis Friend of Leo's

Me too ! My old Rem XP 100 in .221 fireball or my TC Contender in .257 Roberts do the job just fine .

trapdoor2 likes this.
  18. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

Here's some pros and cons

A revolver can't hardly ever jam

Semi auto, you can generally squeeze off rounds more rapidly, and you generally can get higher capacity

Now, I've heard tell of stories of the would-be human target (badguy, of course) grabbing a double-action revolver by the frame, as it's being pointed at him, and holding the cylinder so tightly that the person trying to defend themselves can't fire the gun. True or not, I couldn't say...

This guy was a revolver guy, so, there's that...
    [​IMG]

ucnick and DADGAD like this.
  19. bsman

bsman Friend of Leo's

Neither. I don't have the right (in CA), desire, or need to carry. If anybody broke into my house and the sound of the slide racking on my Remington 870 didn't convince them to leave, perhaps the view of an 18.5mm 12-gauge barrel pointed at them will. And, if that doesn't work, I'd put more trust in the eight .36 caliber 000 buck pellets than any pistol round that would be usable for such purposes.

20. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I dreamed converting my Savage 110 rifle from .22-250 to .257 Roberts (Ackley Improved) for a long time. It used to be considered the most 'technically perfect' round...but I think some of the modern 6.5's are now top of the heap.

I started silhouette with a .32-20 barrel for my Contender. I think I have a half dozen barrels for it now. I shot one season with a .375 Win barrel until the recoil split the web of my right hand. Not good to get halfway thru a course and have someone point out the blood dripping out of your shooting glove! :confused: I never felt it until it was pointed out. Went 0-0 for the rest of the match. :rolleyes:

Nickadermis likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.