1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Poll: How many of you play without a pick?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by El Tele Lobo, Dec 29, 2020.

Do you play with or without a pick?

1. With a pick

2. Without a pick - fingerstyle only!

3. Hybrid pick with a flatpick

4. Hybrid pick with a thumbpick - Chet, Jerry and Tommy can't be wrong!

5. Fingerstyle with thumb and fingerpicks - I'll be a few minutes suiting up, guys

6. I just bang on the thing with my caveman club, drumsticks or whatever's handy

7. I'm a rock guy - I just tap and djent

8. I pick my nose, mostly

9. I just collect plectra because I like all the neat shapes and pretty colors

10. I do whatever the situation calls for or inspiration dictates (or if I can't find a pick)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Afflicted

I use a pick almost always, but I play a lot of arpeggios, and sometimes it's just easier to fingerpick. I never learned any particular technique, just futz around with my thumb and index/middle.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

It depends. I’m a mixture of no pick, and a weird self taught hybrid style of fingers and flat pick.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. Loudog99

Loudog99 Tele-Holic

I used a flat pick for 25 years, but always struggled with dropping and losing them. The last 7 years or so I've been strictly thumb for bass strings and index finger for upstroke or strumming. I really only use those 2 fingers with occasional use of the middle finger. I love playing triads and double stops and that Luther Perkins boom chicka style and the thumb and index approach works really well for me.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. JL_LI

JL_LI Friend of Leo's

I play the bridge pickup on my electric guitars with a Daddario Cortex 1mm flat pick. The flat pick gives me the attack I want for the 6 songs I play that way. Finger style just doesn't cut it. I play everything else with bare fingers. Skin, not nails. I thumb strum and play jazz with my thumb. I accompany myself on vocals in a variety of finger styles. I play solos off chords using double and triple stops usually with the lower note in the stop sounded with my thumb. Otherwise, I pick mostly with three fingers, thumb, ring, and index. Backing vocals with chords, I usually play the lower notes as ascending arpeggios with descending higher notes, including passing notes, played with my long fingers. I rarely alternate the 1 and 5 of my chords Travis style.

Its funny that the songs I play with a pick are some of the country songs I learned before learning finger style. I try everything I want to learn with a pick and finger style to find what works but everything now seems to work better for me finger style. My brain just takes me to the finger style I need to play the song. The single exception to the rule is blues jamming. I learned to do that so long ago that I'm more comfortable with a pick, unless I slip off the blues scale onto the Dorian scale. Then I can only find my notes finger style. I think as I get older my once plastic brain is becoming hard wired.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  5. Tele-beeb

Tele-beeb Friend of Leo's

I generally play fingers and fingernails... however, for chunky stuff, power chords and/or single note lead or melody passages I keep an assortment of picks duct taped and accessible to pull off ahead of any of that.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  6. Cali Dude

Cali Dude Tele-Afflicted

It really depends upon what I want to do. I play finger style, with a pick, both.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. fjblair

fjblair Tele-Holic

Nothing in the poll for me. I play with my fingers sometimes and sometimes I play with a pick. Depends on what I'm playing/doing. I do not hybrid pick.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. koen

koen Friend of Leo's

I alternate, keeping the pick in the palm of my hand when I strum.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. Mjark

Mjark Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I used to play exclusively without a pick but I started using them again about ten years ago. If I didn't have one I could play our entire set lest without.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. WalthamMoosical

WalthamMoosical Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

It was not a conscious decision but somehow this is what I've ended up with for pick storage during fingerpicking/strumming interludes.

holdpick.jpg

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  11. Dadzmad

Dadzmad TDPRI Member

I usually use a "thumb pick" and nails but will do "bare thumb and nails only" when I am trying to be quiet (ss amp just above threshold of being heard) not to disturb she who watches TV. While on this subject last week I started playing my blue baja tele without a pick set to both pickups in parallel and out of phase. This turned out nice as the out of phase sharpens what is lost by not using a pick. Never used the switch much before and will be doing further exploration of the out of phase settings.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. Jerry_Mountains

Jerry_Mountains Tele-Holic

Depends of the song of course, I can play pick or no pick, but who cares, I play awful anyway :lol:

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

1-5.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  14. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I use fingers only on bass, or on guitar when my pick goes flying into the black hole of why didn't I buy one of those stick on pick dispensers the last time I was at GC.

15. AmpHandle

AmpHandle Tele-Meister

Hybrid is the most difficult style to master. I'm on year 5 and almost there one thing for sure it makes banjo playing enjoyable.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  16. NoTeleBob

NoTeleBob Tele-Holic

I'm kind of there too... although it's mostly pick.

I tried to go no-pick after watching Jeff Beck play, but I really seem to prefer using a pick most of the time... although I also appreciate the things you can do with more fingers in play and no pick to hold on to.

El Tele Lobo and Jakedog like this.
  17. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

I think I ticked seven boxes......but after steel fingerpicks, most alternatives seem attainable. :)

IMG_20180227_153838561_HDR.jpg

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Sometimes, I pick up a guitar to play for 20 or 30 seconds, and just use my index finger nail like a pick. It would just take too long to actually have to pick up a pick and put it back down to play for that short a period. :rolleyes:

WalthamMoosical and El Tele Lobo like this.
  19. DekeDog

DekeDog Tele-Afflicted

I typically play electric with a flatpick and hybrid (flatpick and fingers) when I need to. That option was not available in the poll.
    I typically play acoustic with fingers and occasionally a flatpick.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I've seen Richie Kotzen and Richard Fortus do some amazing rock playing with just their fingers.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.