1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Poll: How many of you play without a pick?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by El Tele Lobo, Dec 29, 2020.

Do you play with or without a pick?

1. With a pick

2. Without a pick - fingerstyle only!

3. Hybrid pick with a flatpick

4. Hybrid pick with a thumbpick - Chet, Jerry and Tommy can't be wrong!

5. Fingerstyle with thumb and fingerpicks - I'll be a few minutes suiting up, guys

6. I just bang on the thing with my caveman club, drumsticks or whatever's handy

7. I'm a rock guy - I just tap and djent

8. I pick my nose, mostly

9. I just collect plectra because I like all the neat shapes and pretty colors

10. I do whatever the situation calls for or inspiration dictates (or if I can't find a pick)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. ScottJPatrick

ScottJPatrick Friend of Leo's

Depends on the song I'm playing, very seldom use both. Never use a pick at home unless I'm practicing a particular song to play live.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  2. beagle

beagle Friend of Leo's

Yes, no, maybe.

What do you think?

El Tele Lobo and carpenter like this.
  3. BerkshireDuncan

BerkshireDuncan Tele-Meister

I've always used Dunlop Nylon 0.73's, but recently I find I'm playing over the neck pickup more, with only a few mm of pick showing such that my finger tips come into play more..

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. T Prior

T Prior Poster Extraordinaire

I suspect those of us who do not use a pick don't play the same as when we DID use a pick. Its a totally different execution.

I personally "dropped" the picks 35 years ago, maybe longer.

5. Sparky2

Sparky2 Friend of Leo's

It depends upon the song.

I mostly perform with a pick, but there are many songs (like Kansas's Dust In The Wind, or Uriah Heep's The Wizard) that require fingerstyle arpeggiating, in which case I tuck the pick into the meat of my right hand, like so;

hybrid picking 2.PNG hybrid picking 1.PNG

Jake909, El Tele Lobo and carpenter like this.
  6. gimmeatele

gimmeatele Tele-Afflicted

I am sure I read Hubert Sumlin saying Howlin' Wolf wouldn't let him play in the band till he learned to play with his fingers, said similar that it was more intimate and real bluesy, must have worked ok

7. dougstrum

dougstrum Friend of Leo's

When playing or practicing at home I almost always use just fingers.
    When I gig I always use a pick. It must have to do with the way a pick cuts through in a band setting.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Mostly with plectrum also sometimes choose to play without a pick for specific tracks and just for pleasure.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. Fiesta Red

Fiesta Red Poster Extraordinaire

99% of the time, I’m not using a plectrum—just flesh and fingernails, baby...

On occasion, there’s a song that needs to be strummed with a pick...that’s when I’ll use a small, thick pick like a Clayton 1.52mm or a Dunlop Jazz III.

i’ll still pick up an interesting looking pick if it’s cheap or free… I have candy dish full of them, mostly for people who visit and need a pick to play with.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  10. Old Deaf Roadie

Old Deaf Roadie Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I don't know about playing without a pick, but I have firsthand experience playing without a clue. I can provide witnesses...

Jake909, rze99 and El Tele Lobo like this.
  11. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I always played with a flatpick on flattops and archtops for decades before I started playing a tele as a primary instrument. I intuitively started plucking with extra fingers, because that's what produced the sound I was attempting, as recorded or performed by others. It was pretty much subconscious. I just realized one day, I was using the second and third fingers. I also intuitively started using an upstroke, for the same reason, its what produces that sound.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  12. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

What you said, exactly! Can't get a feel for flat pick and fingers, though I've tried.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
    El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. Wrighty

Wrighty Friend of Leo's

Not dropped my pick since Feb 15th 2020. Super-glued it between my thumb and first finger.

Blue Bill, El Tele Lobo and carpenter like this.
  14. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I always use some kind of a pick.
    I either use a Fender Medium (on acoustic), or Dunlop Tortex ( yellow .73 on electrics)
    OR on either, the most wonderful Herco Flatpick/Thumbpick which let's me do exactly that, in the same song!
    (I use this pick with other bare fingers, plus they are great when you are playing in cold weather, and you can't deal with even holding a flatpick!) 20190303_090644.jpg

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. Goldenshellback

Goldenshellback Tele-Meister

I saw the Marshall Tucker band back in the 70’s and noted Toy Caldwell played that Les using only his thumb. I had never seen anyone play electric guitar using only their thumb. The man had one hell of a thumb.

Blue Bill and El Tele Lobo like this.
  16. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

When playing electric, I use a pick most of the time. In certain songs, or quieter parts of a song, I will use my fingers only. I never use a pick while playing acoustic or bass.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. Jowes_84

Jowes_84 Tele-Meister

BE2F9005-F6A0-4D67-A043-88149484D97C.jpeg

El Tele Lobo and WalthamMoosical like this.
  18. DOC DYA

DOC DYA Tele-Meister

I play jazz. When comping, I mostly use my fingers. When I go into solo, it's a pick. Dunlop Jazz III is my favorite (little red one).
    Funny thing, when I was a young gun (say, Woodstock era :)), I liked very thin picks (mostly Fender pick, if I remember well). Now I can't stand them... Nothing is forever...
    Speaking of guitar players using their thumb only, british guitar player Jim Mullen is an outstanding exemple. His four other right hand fingers being occupied holding the guitar, without a strap! Saw him, back in the days, with Pete Brown's Piblokto.
    Also saw the Marshall Tucker Band in the 70s, as Gloldenshellback said above, but can't remember how Troy Caldwell played with or without his thumb... but he was awesome!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

I do it all, some of it rather poorly. I've got it in my head that I'm a musician so when it sounds bad I tell myself I'm practicing.

Jake909, El Tele Lobo and carpenter like this.
  20. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Friend of Leo's

Played with a pick for 50 years. This year I stopped. Fingers have a much more intimate sound. Doubt if I will go back.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.