1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Poll: How many of you play without a pick?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by El Tele Lobo, Dec 29, 2020.

Do you play with or without a pick?

1. With a pick

2. Without a pick - fingerstyle only!

3. Hybrid pick with a flatpick

4. Hybrid pick with a thumbpick - Chet, Jerry and Tommy can't be wrong!

5. Fingerstyle with thumb and fingerpicks - I'll be a few minutes suiting up, guys

6. I just bang on the thing with my caveman club, drumsticks or whatever's handy

7. I'm a rock guy - I just tap and djent

8. I pick my nose, mostly

9. I just collect plectra because I like all the neat shapes and pretty colors

10. I do whatever the situation calls for or inspiration dictates (or if I can't find a pick)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Just curious. I've pretty much used a pick since I started 30-some years ago, but more and more...on acoustic and electric, I find myself playing without one. It just feels more intimate. And, weirdly, sometimes I feel like I actually play better that way. I'm not ready to commit to one way over the other. It's just another color on my tone palette. How about you?

2. RobRiggs

RobRiggs Tele-Meister

I can’t play as fast but I agree it seems more intimate. The sound quality is different too. More bass-y

El Tele Lobo and telestratosonic like this.
  3. gregulator450

gregulator450 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I suit up with thumb and finger picks for a banjo, I do some hybrid picking with a flat pick, I do a fair amount of pickless hybrid/finger picking, but the majority of my picking is rock and stuff like that with a flat pick. I have started going fingerstyle a lot more in the last year, even playing rock n roll.

And, I have a thing for picks. I have over 800 picks and can't stop trying & buying new ones.

4. Viejo

Viejo Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

It depends on what I'm doing I flatpick,hybrid pick or fingerpick with just nails and fingers. I learned to flatpick and fingerpick when I started so they all come naturally. I have however never been any good at palming a pick to fingerpick and not dropping it

5. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

My first good guitar teacher taught me to use a thumbpick and three plastic fingerpicks.
    He taught me Freight Train, Don’t Think Twice, and stuff like that.
    I used that style till I started gigging regularly.
    I then converted to hybrid picking (flat pick and three fingers).
    The style works well for the country/faux pedal steel style I do.
    I’ve been using it for 45 years.
    Yikes!

6. Blue Bill

Blue Bill Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

I try to practice without a pick occasionally, for the times I drop my pick in the middle of a song. It's been a while since I dropped one, but I was a Boy Scout, so... be prepared.

7. tfarny

tfarny Friend of Leo's

I've taken to hybrid picking this year for the first time - I used to go back and forth but am now enjoying the benefits of both at once.

8. IMadeYouReadThis

IMadeYouReadThis Tele-Meister

I've played Fender Mediums for a long time. I usually don't use the sharp edge, and instead turn it sideways. I like my picks to have a dark, smooth attack. I use Dunlop Jazz I picks for the same reason.

I recently started experimenting with thumbpicks, but still haven't quite got the feel down. I like the idea of freeing up a few fingers, and being able to switch between fingerstyle and flatpicking.

9. Informal

Informal Tele-Afflicted

Started with just a flat pick forever ago.... Last several years, been trying to play more country, Alternating between thumb/flat picks + fingers.
    Always had fingernails, that were so strong, even toenail clippers would balk... So I used files, and occasionally.. My grinder lol.

Now that I'm starting to get used to it.... Obviously my once bulletproof nails, are starting to crack/split regularly.

In the last year or so, I started using my wife's gel clear-coat on my right hand.... With limited success.

10. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Holic

Thumb and fingers only. Thumb downstroke, mostly middle finger upstroke on single note lines, and I grab chords with thumb and three fingers, or downstroke with my nails depending on the tempo. Good enough for Albert King, Albert Collins, John Lee Hooker, Hubert Sumlin, Snooks Eaglin--good enough for me.

11. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Without a pick, Wilko style, most of the time. Pick for tremolo picking though.

12. telestratosonic

telestratosonic Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Pick on the electric mostly but mostly no pick on the acoustic.

13. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

I'm actually gonna get back to using a pick just so I don't lose the technique, but I have been fingerpicking 90% for quite a few years now.

14. Phrygian77

Phrygian77 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I've had a bad habit (for as long as I've been playing) of holding the pick in my mouth when I switch. For the last 9 months at gigs, I try to not do that, so I've been trying to learn to palm it. Although, that usually compromises my fingerpicking. I've also tried tucking it into the side of my mask. Sometimes I just intentionally drop it and grab another one.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. EsquireBoy

EsquireBoy Friend of Leo's

After 30 years of playing I converted to hybrid picking this past year. It took me about 3 months to feel perfectly at ease with it, and now I hybrid pick 100% of the time, even when I could flatpick the part.

In addition to the convenience of being able to play non adjacent strings, I find the tone very appealing: the percussive nature of the flatpick on the bass strings and the sweetness of the flesh on the top ones.

telestratosonic and El Tele Lobo like this.
  16. Cesspit

Cesspit Tele-Holic

With electric I do use fingers with the pick, with the acoustic it depends on he song. I like finger style but I'm not that good at it.

17. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

After 50 years of flat picking, I started to experiment with fingers a few years back. It’s interesting playing at home, different attack, genuine double stops, etc, but hard to change the habits of a lifetime.

18. Fretting out

Fretting out Poster Extraordinaire

I’m not sure which category I fit into

I play with a thumbpick without fingerpicks, not exactly finger style or hybrid, more like Johnny winter style

telestratosonic and El Tele Lobo like this.
  19. somebodyelseuk

somebodyelseuk Tele-Meister

It really depends if I have one within reach.
    I used to have one in my pocket, but these days, I don't tend to, so a lot of around the house noodling is just fingers...
    Asa result, I find I take a while adjusting back when I need to get serious.

20. loopfinding

loopfinding Friend of Leo's

if i'm playing faster line stuff then i use a pick, a combo of economy picking and hybrid picking. but for solo playing with multiple parts or where i want certain chords to sound all the notes at the same time, or doing a lot of octave harmonics, i use my fingers. i keep short nails on pima on my right hand.

it really depends if there's one near me and what my mood is. i do have dreams of getting my fingerpicking up to flatpicking speed in a way that sounds like natural flatpicking.

but it's good to bust a drumstick out sonic youth style too now and then.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.