POLL | HELP: Burst, Stain, what is it ?! (Les Paul Finish)

Is this a BURST-FINISH?

• Total voters

Deadman1

Tele-Meister
Hello there 👋

I kinda need your opinion.... Okay it's a stupid question... but this haunts me for days now and i see my guitar with new eyes 😅😅
Sooo... a friend came by and was like
he loves this burst finish - and i was like 'which burst?'

So he was calling this a burst finish... i'm normally not a big fan of burst finishes and never considered calling this a burst..
So what do you think?

Would you say it's a burst-finish?

ioQ9m9i.jpg

hLWmkPP.jpg

I would LOVE to hear your opinion!

Bonus question:
what would you call this finish?

Thanks so much in advance!

Best regards,
d.
😅

Last edited:

teletimetx

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Doesn’t really matter - but yeah, generally, anything where the edges are darker than the center can be called a burst. Both PRS and Gibson/Epi have been enlarging the variety of color schemes used in burst finishes.

Decide for yourself:

A1C01DDB-E0D9-4437-AC5E-ADD8F100B658.jpeg
6A00BA96-B35E-4986-A0D2-FA9C765E8FC0.jpeg
D031EAB0-C188-40C4-BDDE-8145D6E7CCBB.jpeg
5164BEC7-B73D-4E6D-A06A-9706FDE86801.jpeg
28FA1317-5928-4BAF-8433-F7DA04E0F862.jpeg

Deadman1

Tele-Meister
I'd have no idea what kind of finish I would call it.
It looks good though.
Thanks for your answer!
It was a faded black BFG once... before it was sanded down....

It reminds of how a pair of old worn and washed black jeans end up on the thighs and backside.
Therefore, I will suggest the finish be called
"Black Jeanarse".
haha perfect

I would call it a burst because the edges are darker than the center.
Thanks for your answer!
by definition you seem to be right. but i don't know.. it still doesnt "feel" like a burst😅

Doesn’t really matter - but yeah, generally, anything where the edges are darker than the center can be called a burst. Both PRS and Gibson/Epi have been enlarging the variety of color schemes used in burst finishes.
Thanks for your answer and the photos... yeah these are some classical bursts... how would you decide? burst or no burst?

1stpitch

Tele-Holic
Silver Supporter
I wouldn't call it a burst. If the accepted definition of burst is that it's darker around the edges, this one is not. It's actually lighter around the edges in a few spots than anywhere else on the top. For me, that definition would also include the darker edges needing to be opaque, or nearly so. This is surely not that either. But that's just my opinion, and the OP said he needed opinions.

Deadman1

Tele-Meister
Thanks for all your answers!

My 'just won the lottery but need to keep busy' job would be naming paint colors, so I'll practice here: Faded Cast Iron
haha great one!

I wouldn't call it a burst. If the accepted definition of burst is that it's darker around the edges, this one is not. It's actually lighter around the edges in a few spots than anywhere else on the top. For me, that definition would also include the darker edges needing to be opaque, or nearly so. This is surely not that either. But that's just my opinion, and the OP said he needed opinions.
Thanks so much for your opinion. I feel similar about it.

Hard to tell what the finish was before being sanded down. But now it does not look like a burst to me.
It was a faded black les paul BFG... that was sanded down by a previous owner.

I have no idea how this is actually called in the guitar world or in the industry but im pretty sure this was a see-thru black varnish that was partially sanded off the top and gave you this effect you see right now
It was a faded black les paul BFG... that was sanded down by a previous owner.

Based on PRS nomenclature, I’d call it a faded charcoal half-arsed burst
haha. yeah well i thought it was similar to PRS' charcoal burst

I would call it ”apartment fire”.
If it remains flat, to me it stained. If it were clear coated it would be closer to a burst.
apartment fire is awesome haha

lil scotty

Tele-Holic
I do like it but voted “no” on the burst, simply because the difference in dark to light/ outer to inner is not prominent enough. I see those “lemon burst“ types, like above, and think the same thing: “where’s the burst?” (like, “where’s the beef?”)

ASATKat

Poster Extraordinaire
Ever so slightly run a torch over the quilted maple. You can almost paint with it if you're careful. Burn just enough to get a brown to dark brown, you can do the burst style, finish it with whatever is clear and best. Maybe a clear epoxy? Nothing looks nicer.

Mike Eskimo

Telefied
Ad Free Member
That’s really nice “Peter Greenish” maple though.

Super narrow and tight. And the longitudinal figure is like his (er, Gary Moore’s, er Kirk Hammet’s) too.

Change your pick up surround screws to black fer chrissake ya metal head ! 😂👍🏽