1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

POLL: Favorite second instrument?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Musekatcher, Oct 28, 2020.

What is/would be your favorite second instrument to play of these less conventional instruments?

1. Violin (or fiddle)

17.3%
  2. Mandolin

30.6%
  3. Banjo, clawhammer or bluegrass or other

10.2%
  4. Accordion, melodeon, concertina or similar

5.1%
  5. harmonica

22.4%
  6. Saxophone, trombone, trumpet or other brass and reed instruments

24.5%
  7. none - prefer to focus on being my best on a telecaster

8.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. 39martind18

39martind18 Friend of Leo's

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Poster Extraordinaire

Sinatra always said his instrument was the microphone. I agree with him and so didn't vote.
    That and keys. And bass.
    So yeah, still no vote here.

3. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

I've bounced around many different instruments. Guitar, Mandolin, Bass, etc. Banjo is #1, Viola is #2...but my Viola is a "vertical Viola", played like a 'cello.

I cannot pronate my wrist sufficiently play a violin/viola under my chin. I took up the 'cello at age 55...and when I got good enough to start more challenging pieces, my teacher realized my 55yr old hands just weren't going to stretch out as needed. She said I'd be better suited to the Viola's scale.

I gave up the 'cello...but I knew about various baroque instruments that were smaller and still played vertically. Eventually I found Carleen Hutchens' designs and bought a Chinese made copy. Perfect!

4. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

I play a lot of clawhammer banjo. Born poor in Appalachia. Grandson of a coal miner, son of a mill worker. In the blood.

5. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

I've got a C melody. Where does the term "fish horn" come from? I've not heard that?

6. Rocky058

Rocky058 Tele-Holic

Not a joke.

Played trombone a little when I was a kid. It is really a fun instrument.

Sadly I no longer have the wind for it (never smoked), and it won't be comin' back:(
    [​IMG]

7. mexicanyella

mexicanyella Friend of Leo's

I play guitar, lap steel and bass, and that’s the order I got interested in each. At this point guitar is probably third in playing frequency. I play bass pretty well but my lap steel skills need more work than the other two, so I am spending more time on that.

I still suck pretty bad.

Also under current conditions band activity (bass) is halted, and I’m working on a recording with an e-mail buddy in England, and it’s pretty weird, and neither of us plays drums. I would like to, someday, but for now I am trying to learn to program real-sounding software drums. Is fake drums a fourth instrument? Maybe...

I would love-love-love to get me a guitarrón one of these days and learn to play that. It would be kind of cool to learn to play actual Mexican music on it, but I’d like to have one whether I learned to do that or not.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.