1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

Poll: Favorite Fingerboard Radius

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Nov 13, 2019.

What fingerboard radius do you prefer for your Teles?

1. 7.25"

2. 9.5"

3. 10"

4. 12"

5. Compound Radius

6. Something else

7. Radius? What is this...math class?

8. How do I know if my fingerboard has a radius?

9. I prefer my Teles not give off radiation...

10. Don't care

11. I like everything

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Crobbins

Crobbins Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

I voted 12. But right now I'm digging my new Reverend with a 10 to 14 compound radius.

2. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity

9.5-10
    I can do 12" fine
    Hate compound radius or anything too flat over 12

3. Mur

Mur Tele-Afflicted

Want my Tele to be a Tele from head to toe . . (7.25)

4. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Honestly unless someone likes really low action I’m not sure how apparent the difference is between 7.25 and 9.5. And how apparent it would be if you didn’t know in advance. So I do take @Ronkirn’s point to that extent.

radiocaster likes this.
  5. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

I know a lot of this is splitting hairs, but I've experienced enough to know it DOES make a difference (however great or small) in the feel of a guitar to one person or another. I've seen countless similar threads on here over the years and find them fascinating. The main thing is. reading about other people's experiences has encouraged me to open my mind and try other things...things I wouldn't think I'd like...often to be surprised to find that I DO like them. Examples? Small frets, vintage radius, lower wind pickups, 4-way switching, different tone capacitors and building an out-of-the-box T-style guitar. Thanks, TDPRI!

6. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

In theory I prefer compound radius because on paper it allows the lowest possible action combined with some barre chording lower beck comfort and choke free bending.

But in reality I like everything, as long as I like it!

Been a while since I played guitar on paper...

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I'd say the only functional preference for the 7.25 is for barre chording low on the neck where some players may have some discomfort straightening the index finger enough to firmly fret the D and G strings.
    Same with 9.5 over 12 where the 9.5 is closer to the natural curve of the finger than 12.

We may also have a sort of familiarity comfort in a favorite neck, but that could be as much association with a favorite guitar or a favorite neck profile.

I'd bet confirmation bias plays a big role where we have so many choices today and tend to choose our favorite guitars online without playing them. So we take a stand on what we seem to like and stick with that.

I think there is also a fair amount of confirmation bias in play when shoppers state that CV Squiers are just as good as CS Fenders.
    Really analyzing how good a guitar is takes more than a like/ don't like comparison.
    To some degree a guitar only needs to be adequate for me to like it.
    Adequate is more about specs like neck shape, pickups, weight, comfort and fret size, to me, and I suspect a lot of players make similar value judgements.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  8. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

@El Tele Lobo you have become quite the pollster of late.

I voted 9.5. Because I play acoustics as much as teles, I often play whatever radius presents itself, with only a little adjustment in touch/playing technique. But for me the operative words in this poll are "prefer" and "teles." So 9.5 is my answer. I'm not much for big bends or shredding, so I don't particularly value a really flat radius.

Since all my teles are custom made, I get to choose neck profile, fretboard and yes, radius. I am therefore spoiled to that, and don't even keep up with what FMIC model Teles have what radius. I've played some FMIC Teles in stores that I didn't like as much and couldn't put my finger on why, and perhaps the combination of profile and radius made it feel less appealing to me. A 9.5" radius is my preference.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  9. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

7.25" for me (that's all I have currently on my Fenders), although 9.5" feels good in my hands too.

Shuster and El Tele Lobo like this.
  10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Poster Extraordinaire

Always good to hear your input, my brother.

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

1.65"!

Shuster likes this.
  12. Linto

Linto TDPRI Member

I stopped playing guitar late 90s for various reasons then kids came along and only back into it 5 years ago.

I swear when I played when I was younger no one EVER spoke about neck radius, profile or weight of guitars.

Both my Teles are 7.25, but my answer is I don't care :)

Shuster likes this.
  13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

9.5 and 12

I got one of those 10-16 compound radius necks from Warmoth, and I can play it fine, but honestly, that 16" part up the neck really feels FLAT!

I wonder if a 9.5-12 would be perfect for me...

Shuster likes this.
  14. ieatlions

ieatlions Tele-Holic

I really a believe a good setup and factors like neck profile and set up are as important as the radius. I said for yearssssssss that I hated 7.25, then one day I picked up a MIJ 62 reissue and it made me feel very silly!

I played a G&L ASAT in a studio once, the neck felt amazing and I would have sworn the radius was around a 12. Turns out it was 9”, not 9.5”.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Doctor of Teleocity

Warmoth 9.5 to 14” (I think, have to check) compound for me since ‘85. Jumbo frets, medium C profile.

16. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Friend of Leo's

Old Skool!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. NewKid

NewKid Tele-Afflicted

My three Teles have different fretboard radii:

Road Worn 50s 7.25”
    American Special 9.5”
    Squier Tele Deluxe 12”

The 12” feels like I have the most room and more like my acoustic fretboard.

I like the differences between all three. I picked them precisely because they’re different from each other:

Road Worn 50s - fake wear, vintage vibe, and light! 7.4 lbs.

American Special - Jumbo frets and Daphne Blue body

Squier Tele Deluxe - Humbuckers, a belly cut, and that big Strat headstock.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  18. Sounds Good

Sounds Good Tele-Afflicted

A flat fretboard for me and a widish neck it is what i learnt on mainly, but i have other radius guitars and can get use to any really and still play nearly the same on them.

19. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

Have you heard of cigarettes? They sell those to people. There are plenty of people out to make a buck and it doesn't matter to them how they get it.

BlackieBlues and Chunkocaster like this.
  20. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's

I’m saying 9.5” or 10”, because those are the radii on my two most comfortable necks (AO JM and PRS SE245), but I’m sure a huge part of that is the carve / chunkiness— those are not slim necks.
    My Elite Tele has the 9.5” - 14”(?) composite radius and it works well, but 95% of the time I don’t think it feels any flatter than the JM. The only time I notice the difference is when playing slide: it’s a little easier to dig in on the Tele, I think because of the flatter radius higher up.
    My Shergold has a 12” radius and is nearly as comfortable so I guess I’m pretty adaptable in the end! But flatter than that seems off-putting.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.