Poll: Favorite Fingerboard Radius

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by El Tele Lobo, Nov 13, 2019.

What fingerboard radius do you prefer for your Teles?

1. 7.25"

2. 9.5"

3. 10"

4. 12"

5. Compound Radius

6. Something else

7. Radius? What is this...math class?

8. How do I know if my fingerboard has a radius?

9. I prefer my Teles not give off radiation...

10. Don't care

11. I like everything

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Ordered a new neck recently. Was curious what you all prefer and how it matches up with my tastes...

2. RoscoeElegante

RoscoeElegante Friend of Leo's

Voted 9.5" But neck profile means more to me than radius. I tend to like beefy profiles as I played acoustics almost exclusively for many decades. Gotta have something to work with. And thin profiles, such as Fender's "Modern C," soon give me cramps. So a 7.25" or a 10" are fine if the neck as a whole isn't too thin. Even some 12" ones are fine. But a 9.5" is a nice middle ground.

Have had limited time on compound radius necks but have much liked them--if the profile is right.

3. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I prefer 12, or compound, but woth 12-54 strings and comparatively high action, it doesn’t matter a lot.
    I’m not a speed demon, or shredder.
    I still (so far) have big, strong paws.

4. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's

The old school 7.25 is home to me, but I can switch between it and my squier telecaster vm custom II (9.5) with no problem and also my 12" acoustics is comfy.

Greggorios and Tommy Biggs like this.
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I can do it all, but 9.5 is my favorite. The flatter the fretboard radius, the clubbier the neck has to be for me.

That there is advanced math algorithms.:D

6. ruger9

ruger9 Poster Extraordinaire

I don't think I have a favorite... altho I don't like extremely flat boards (like the 15.75" FMT tele) or extremely curved (the vintage 7.25")

I like the standard 9.5", 12" is fine. I have 2 guitars with compound radius (from 10"-14"), those are highly comfortable... actually, the compound radius might be the easiest to play of all, for me... and if I were spec'ing a custom build, now that I have all these necks I've lived with, I think I would spec a compound radius neck, even on a vintage-type tele.

7. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

9.5, 10 and 12 inch are all good for me.
    The cancer warnings manufacturers are sticking on guitar parts these days are ridiculous.
    If they are harmful enough to justify applying that sticker what the hell are they doing selling them to people?:confused:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    Greggorios likes this.
  8. eallen

eallen Tele-Afflicted

Those warnings are only for those who live in California. The rest of the world is safe.

Eric

9. Rockerfeller

Rockerfeller Tele-Meister

I prefer the compound radius on my Tele's. None of my Tele's have one though. I had a Pete Anderson Reverend Tele that DID have a compound radius and I LOVED that for playing past the 12th fret. All me tele's have a 9.5 radius and I love them too. I voted for Compound.

mstan72, Greggorios and El Tele Lobo like this.
  10. kafka

kafka Tele-Afflicted

I never notice radius when I'm playing. I recently set up a guitar with a 7.25", which I hadn't played in many years. It felt different for about 15 minutes, and then I never noticed it again.

11. fjrabon

fjrabon Tele-Afflicted

There’s no actual difference between a 9.5” radius and a 10” radius. They’re both within the factory tolerances of one another. Heck, you can easily turn one into the other depending on how you crown and level your frets.

12. Tommy Biggs

Tommy Biggs Friend of Leo's

I’m good with my old 7.25, it just feels right to me.
    I don’t mind other radii on other guitars though. The differences never bothered me, maybe because I’ve spent a fair number of years with each. I guess I’ve never really gone above 12 inch radius tbh.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  13. WireLine

WireLine Tele-Afflicted

Really loving the 12 on Gibson style necks, but the 15 on my Peavey Firenza is perfect

14. raysachs

raysachs Friend of Leo's

7.25" is my favorite for sure - I grew up with it. But I'm fine with 9.5 too. I like 12" just fine on Gibson type necks, but I've never played a Fender type neck with a 12" radius that felt right to me. I've checked out guitars with 12" radius necks that I really REALLY wanted to like because I liked everything else about the guitars, but I just couldn't get along with the neck. I even took advantage of Guitar Center's return policy to see if I could adapt to one - I'd have kept the guitar if I could have. But after two or three weeks I knew if it hadn't even started growing on me yet, it wasn't gonna, so back it went. Never understood it, but I couldn't deny it either...

-Ray

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  15. Telecaster88

Telecaster88 Tele-Meister

I never even knew there was a thing called fretboard radius until this time last year. My main guitar for thirty years was my '88 Tele with (it turns out) a 9.5" board. So that's what I'm used to. My backup for those years was a '66 Duo-Sonic with a 7.25. Never noticed a difference until last year when I bought a Deluxe Strat with a 12" board, which I fell in love with. After awhile though my hand started cramping on the strat, which I attributed to the radius, but it turns out I just prefer a thicker neck than a Modern C.

I can play the 12" on my SG and Epi all day without cramping.

16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I think I like 7.25 and 9.5.

I don’t like compound for some reason.

Anyone know what radius Strat Plus is? I seem to get along with that fine. But haven’t checked what it is.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  17. bo

bo Poster Extraordinaire

I'm okay with the old school '50s necks or something flat with big frets as long as there is some overall girth to the neck. I'm not fond of flat and skinny shredder necks.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Poster Extraordinaire

9.5 and 7.25 mostly.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  19. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

I have two Musikraft necks with compound radius. One is 9.5"-12", the other 10"-14". I like both. I strongly prefer compound over straight radius.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  20. unixfish

unixfish Poster Extraordinaire

I would challenge most to feel a difference between 9.5 and 10. I'm sure some can, but still...

El Tele Lobo and Skydog1010 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.