Poll: Do you really care about famous guitars (or amps)?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dismalhead, Aug 15, 2019.

What's your interest in famous instruments and equipment?

1. 5. Drool. Total fan, and I'd buy one if I could afford it. I want a replica.

9 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. 4. Awesome that (Joe Blow) played it and did famous stuff with it.

44 vote(s)
    20.3%
  3. 3. Meh, I'm middle of the road on this one. It's a nice instrument and I like the famous owner.

53 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. 2. I don't really care, but I guess it's nice. I'll take it if it's free.

53 vote(s)
    24.4%
  5. 1. Whatever. It's just a guitar. Fame doesn't translate to physical objects.

47 vote(s)
    21.7%
  6. 0. I like turtles.

34 vote(s)
    15.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Mouth

Mouth Tele-Holic

First you buy their guitar, a pedal and another, an amp. Next thing you know you've peeled David Gilmour and are wearing his skin.

Pass.

2. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

I’d like to play Rory’s Strat.

But I don’t think I’d sound much like Rory, sadly.

I am a bit intrigued by what the setups of my heroes were/are like. Do they like the lowest possible action, slinky strings or something more challenging. That kinda stuff.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Wildcard_35 and dlew919 like this.
  3. cyclopean

cyclopean Friend of Leo's

yes but only for certain players and not enough to hustle for them.

4. hotpot

hotpot Tele-Afflicted

Nah! Signature guitar models don't fit into my plans or my shallow pockets, I have a upper limit of 250 Quid for a guitar :D:eek:

5. dsouza

dsouza TDPRI Member

I don’t really care about signature equipment. If I can get the same tones out of my current gear that’s all that matters to me. In the end it’s the player not the equipment.

www.youtube.com/u2adrian1000

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  6. OldDude2

OldDude2 Tele-Holic

I haven't voted yet, but I'm an antique junkie so kinda biased toward older objects. The story adds character and value.

I bought and old Hardy fly reel post WW2 in the middle of the Midwest. It was made in England approx between 48-52 and sold exclusively in New Zealand. I sold it to a gent in London that said he was bringing her home.:)

Edit: I don't like signature guitars.

7. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

I actually did play Rory's Strat. I got to interview him for an entertainment paper in Philly, and he wasn't feeling well enough to meet in the hotel coffee shop so I interviewed him in his room. The Strat was on the bed, and when we wrapped the interview I asked if I could try it.

Played like a good, solid Strat with medium-high action, which didn't bother me because that's how I played my Strats at the time. I mentioned it to a friend who bought one of the Fender repros, and he wouldn't stop bugging me to come over and play it so he'd know if it was anything like the original.

- D

Wildcard_35, Geoff738 and Greggorios like this.
  8. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

Not enamoured with them. Just something that a great player etc has used a lot I guess. So it has that aura I suppose. But SRV's #1 and Clapton's Blackie etc were just heavily worn out, heavily modified, partscasters really. I've seen a few of them up close.

9. Geoff738

Geoff738 Poster Extraordinaire

Well did you and does it?

I should’ve gone and tried one when they came out, but I knew I wasn’t going to buy one, so I didn’t.

Cheers,
    Geoff

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  10. StrangerNY

StrangerNY Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

No, never got to go to his house. Might have been interesting to see how close they got.

He's since moved to Nashville, so it would be a longer trip to try it now.

- D

Wildcard_35 likes this.
  11. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Holic

I wouldn't want a guitar or amp with jacked up price just because someone else played it. There's a word for that. "Used". I buy used gear to pay less. Not more. I don't care who it was that owned it.

12. ReverendRevolver

ReverendRevolver Tele-Holic

Kurt Cobain said the Ledbelly estate offered to sell him Ledbellys guitar for $500k. He asked David Geffen personally to buy it for him. (Geffen said no)

Kurt had a hard enough time finding left handed Mustangs and Jaguars, I'm sure he thought this basic premise was hilarious. Ironically, I've known a guy who owned one of Kurt's guitars. I was 16ish, and was like "if I had that, I could sell it for 2 right handed competition mustangs from that one year they had matching headstocks...."

Sentiment from a relative adds value to me. If I could find the old Silvertone case (you know, the ones with the amp in it) my dads grandfather used to own (and could prove it was his) I'd pay double its worth. And I'd trade my strat, my tele, and my mustang (if needed) to get my late grandfathers mustang, wherever it went.

But SRVs strat? The action is too high, the strings are too thick, and it's a little beat up(I've read reports). That sounds like a used American strat youd pay less than $300 for because it needs alot of work.
    Ditto with Jacos bass.

Signature model Fenders are different, Claptons strat had glorious ugly 7up green. J mascis Jazzmaster was sparkle purple, and the cheapest production jazzmaster there was when released. Kurt's mustang had a tremelo, making it the most cost effective new to buy one with a tremelo. Mayers strat had sweet pickups. Lastly, buddy guys strat had polka dots ;)
    But its because the guitar is cool. I dont think I'll know how to play "the one in the middle " by buying Robert Crays strat....

13. Shuster

Shuster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I really do like turtles:)

14. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

I like it from a Historical point of view.

15. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I view it as an equipment & guitar demo .

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.